Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #1

Can't Stake Claim On Campsite w/Motorhome Like Trailer Rig

I am taking my family on a tour of the Arizona, Utah National Parks. We are renting a Cruise America Class C unit because Arizona is so far from our home in North Carolina. We don’t want to waist our valuable travel time just to get to Arizona.
We have a travel trailer and truck rig now. When we setup camp we can take our truck and travel around the area doing our sightseeing. It has worked great for us for years. My question is this… If the motorhome is the only mode of transportation we have, how difficult is it to find a place with an available campsite later in the day after you have completed your sightseeing? We are used to staking the claim by leaving the trailer at the campground.
I know it depends on the area you are visiting and the time of year but; should I be concerned. We don’t want to be boondocking a lot.

Any advice is appreciated.
bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

We don't do that but plenty of people in camp grounds we frequent do have people with B's and Cs that go out sightseeing and return to the same spot. Just let the office know what you are doing.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
In some campgrounds you can check in and you get a ticket that goes on a post, reserving your site for you until you return. Even where this is not the case, many people will leave something at the entrance to the site, such as a chair, to make it clear that the site is taken. You could possibly lose a folding chair but that is rare. Most people understand and respect what you are doing. Or you could string a rope across the site. Anything to indicate that it is occupied. This procedure is not perfect but it usually works well.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
tcg

I've never stayed in a campground where you pay and then someone else can get your spot just because you went out for the day.

Do parks like that exist?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

If your paid for that spot, the CG is not going to give it someone else. I don't see a problem I have left for days and nobody was ever in my spot when I returned.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I've never stayed in a campground where you pay and then someone else can get your spot just because you went out for the day.

Do parks like that exist?
NO, they do not at a paided spot CG, that I know of, and I been using CG's for more years then I want to remember, I have never heard of that problem.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

If your spot is reserved there should be no issues at all.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In CG where there are unassigned sites or first cime first served, where someone could readily take your site unknowingly, put a couple three red large cones in the site to signify occupied.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #9

Have seen folks squabble over a site for that very reason......typically only happens at 'remote staffed' CGs....ones where you go pick the site then go back and pay at unattended 'office'

Staffed CGs...not going to be an issue
Availability....that would be dependent on locale/popularity/number of first come sites vs reservations etc

Get a 'hwy cone' (big orange cone) and set it at entrance to CG site with sign....occupied
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have seen folks squabble over a site for that very reason......typically only happens at 'remote staffed' CGs....ones where you go pick the site then go back and pay at unattended 'office'

Staffed CGs...not going to be an issue
Agreed. This is only an issue where the sites are chosen by the camper and not assigned by a park employee.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #11

I never thought about leaving a chair at the entrance of campsite and losing your chair maybe that's why I usually see empty spot with stinky hose hooked up but camper gone,nobody's touching that.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are going to a national park out west here you had better get reservations 5 months in advance or you will not get a spot.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

One trip we left our tow vehicle at home.

Staying in a state park near Mount Baker WA, we paid for our site and left our two folding camping chairs at the site to mark it. When we returned for the night, our chairs were gone. Leaving the next morning we thought it wise to let the camp ground ranger know a thief stole our chairs. He went into his back room, then returned and asked...."Are these them?" It turned out someone thought we were gone for good and turned them in at the ranger's office. Irene and I with egg on our faces, thanked the ranger.

I think a cone stating "Site Paid For" placed on the parking pad is a better idea.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Carry a cheapy tent and set it up when you are gone. If you are at a pick your spot park this is how you mark it while you go back and check in so it's good to have one on hand anyway.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, trailer