Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Captains Chair.....Recover or Replace

I am negotiating to buy 2015 forest river 3011ds and captains chairs need help.
I went to an upholstery shop and he quoted $750 per chair to recover in vinyl.
I visited RV repair center and they said plan on $1000 per chair to replace.

Anybody have good luck buying covers for captains chairs....pls suggest source
fl gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
You might check with one of our sponsors here on IRV2, RV Upgrades. They carry some aftermarket seat covers.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-De...-p/03-7021.htm
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #3

You get what you pay for.
These slip ons

look like @#$& so you decide how bad yours look now, as opposed to the upholstery shop you went to for pricing.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #4

If they are FlexSteel check the many other threads re FlexSteel chairs. There is a woman that used to work at FlexSteel that apparently has the patterns and will fab skins.
Wish I had known that before I jumped at an auto upholstery shop doing mine. They were around $1,400 when done in Ultraleather which is the only material I would consider.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:41 AM   #5

Getting upholstery done is tough. Knew one guy that did upholstery and wanted $1000 for anything he touched. Local places would charge $200 for the same job. Auto and RV places seem to be the highest priced and RV places usually send them out to be redone.

Sometimes Craigs list of Market place has some good buys. https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/pts...291293773.html

They have sewing sections at JoAnns fabrics ask the instructor if they will recommend anyone. I watched for good used seats and bought 2 takeouts in surprisingly good condition for $50 each. Salvage yards are also an option.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You get what you pay for.
These slip ons

look like @#$& so you decide how bad yours look now, as opposed to the upholstery shop you went to for pricing.
I bought these and have to agree with you.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #7

I have replaced leather seat skins on a 5th generation Corvette, a Jeep Liberty, a Pontiac Solstice, and a Saturn Sky. It does require determination but is a do-it-yourself project. Seat skins are zipped, clipped, and sometimes pig-ringed on, but the old ones do come off and the new ones do go on.

The question is.....Can you get replacement seat skins from the seat manufacture? And are they affordable? A phone call to them will answer your question.

One thing certain, I would NEVER buy vinyl-covered seats anymore. Since the great recession of 2008-2010, the vinyl has been imported from China which is an inferior material that cracks and flakes. That is why some RV manufactures are now going with 100% real leather, most often using the more affordable Top Grain Leather. Top Grain is 100% leather but the surface has a top grain imprinted on it to cover natural flaws in the hide. It is very durable and does NOT break down like China-made vinyl.....at least no reports yet.

We have vinyl seating in our 2007 motorhome and the seats still look like new. We are fortunate that we have the "Pre" China vinyl.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #8

Do some shopping, you might get lucky. A few months ago I came across a business owner folding due to the pandemic and the fact he sold flex steel that no longer supports Rv. I got a set of new flex steel captains chairs in micro fiber for $800 all in.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, cover, replace