RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #15

My MH uses CCC on the sticker which is GVWR minus unloaded vehicle weight minus fresh water weight, minus LP Gas, minus two persons. My CCC is 2,223 lbs. That is the reason I bought a small C, I wanted to tow. The hitch is rated at 500/5000. However after buying it, I discovered the maximum tongue weight recommended by the manufacturer is 200lb. I supposed that has to do with keeping enough weight on the front axle. I moved the spare tire and jack to the front (kinda ugly, I admit), that gained me about 80lb, then I load the fresh water tank (located at the back of the MH) low on water which gained me another 120lb. I figure I can have a max tongue wt of about 400lb while maintaining proper fore/aft balance. Pulling the aluminum trailer and the sports car even at full 10% tongue weight puts me at 320lb. The 10% minimum tongue weight percentage is used quite a lot, but it is not necessarily correct. For instance Aluma Trailer recommends as low as 6%. Trailex (my trailer) manual states "in most cases all you need is 175 to 225 pounds of tongue load to tow the trailer safely". Maximum loaded trailer weight is 5000lb. That equates to 3.5 to 5 percent tongue weight. I use a scale to establish tongue weight. Well, that is about the most of what I know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #16

Check these guys out....

I have one that's built extra heavy and 26' long. Its so easy its makes you feel like you're stealing.... 5 degree angle for low sitting sports cars.

https://www.kwikload.com/
Old 11-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana170 View Post
My MH uses CCC on the sticker which is GVWR minus unloaded vehicle weight minus fresh water weight, minus LP Gas, minus two persons. My CCC is 2,223 lbs. That is the reason I bought a small C, I wanted to tow. The hitch is rated at 500/5000. However after buying it, I discovered the maximum tongue weight recommended by the manufacturer is 200lb. I supposed that has to do with keeping enough weight on the front axle. I moved the spare tire and jack to the front (kinda ugly, I admit), that gained me about 80lb, then I load the fresh water tank (located at the back of the MH) low on water which gained me another 120lb. I figure I can have a max tongue wt of about 400lb while maintaining proper fore/aft balance. Pulling the aluminum trailer and the sports car even at full 10% tongue weight puts me at 320lb. The 10% minimum tongue weight percentage is used quite a lot, but it is not necessarily correct. For instance Aluma Trailer recommends as low as 6%. Trailex (my trailer) manual states "in most cases all you need is 175 to 225 pounds of tongue load to tow the trailer safely". Maximum loaded trailer weight is 5000lb. That equates to 3.5 to 5 percent tongue weight. I use a scale to establish tongue weight. Well, that is about the most of what I know.

I hope everyone knows that on a Class C MH one of the reasons for the lower tongue weight rating is the lite gauge steel frame extension the MH manufacturers install to support the coach from the rear axle to the rear bumper.

Our Tioga 24D has a 5k rated hitch , but Fleetwood limits it to a 350lb tongue weight.

After our first trip of 1500 miles pulling our ski boat I inspected the MH and found the frame where the hitch attaches had bent and was distorted . This occured with only 250lb trailer tongue weight ! The hitch also has a sticker stating " Do Not use a WDH " .

The frame extension was made from 1/8" steel plate bent into a 4" channel. I'm amazed it didn't tear off.

I have since reinforced the frame and reinstalled the hitch . After several 5K mile trips at times towing the boat or the toad , no more issues .
However , I do limit the tow weight to 3K maximum and 250lb tongue weight .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #18

Good post. I have occasionally mentioned this and it appears the condition still exists. We had a similar issue towing a small car trailer with our first motorhome and a regular hitch; a new 1976 Midas Mini on a Chevrolet / GMC chassis. What looked like a frame extension, wasn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I hope everyone knows that on a Class C MH one of the reasons for the lower tongue weight rating is the lite gauge steel frame extension the MH manufacturers install to support the coach from the rear axle to the rear bumper.

Our Tioga 24D has a 5k rated hitch , but Fleetwood limits it to a 350lb tongue weight.

After our first trip of 1500 miles pulling our ski boat I inspected the MH and found the frame where the hitch attaches had bent and was distorted . This occured with only 250lb trailer tongue weight ! The hitch also has a sticker stating " Do Not use a WDH " .

The frame extension was made from 1/8" steel plate bent into a 4" channel. I'm amazed it didn't tear off.

I have since reinforced the frame and reinstalled the hitch . After several 5K mile trips at times towing the boat or the toad , no more issues .
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #19

Shame, shame, shame on Fleetwood for building something like that. My Coach House extension are the same gauge as the original Ford frame. They are butt welded on both sides and have a reinforcing plate that is both welded and bolted to the frame and the extensions. I am no longer surprised at the absolute crap engineering and construction that goes into some class C's, what, to save a $9.26?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post

Sounds to me, if a Ford, someone did not lengthen to Ford specs. Mine came with the specs and all my frame mods are way better then that!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #21

Quote:
We use a Trailex bolted aluminum trailer. Works very well.

Attachment 308550
Is that a TR-6?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #22

It looks like a a TR-6 to me. My brother used to have one.

Folks, remember water weights 8 # per gallon. I only put some for traveling.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #23

TR-4, or I guess it could be a TR250, but you don't see many of those.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #24

63 TR4. I purchased it in 1969 upon my return from RVN. Enjoyed ever since.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #25

For sure, many (most) class C’s aren’t set up well for towing. But some modern ones have proper frame extensions, and plenty of cargo capacity. My 25B has some 3k of cargo capacity. The original poster’s unit is similar. Lots of capacity, proper frame extensions.

Everyone assumes that class C’s can’t tow. They just have to be carefully selected, then they can tow better than a class A. That’s the biggest reason we didn’t buy a small A.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Everyone assumes that class Cís canít tow.
I don't know why anyone would assume a Class C can't tow.

I have had 2 Class Cs, including my current Winnebago Fuse, which is only 24 feet long, and towed with both. I flat-towed a Jeep with the Four Winds and currently tow a Honda Fit on a dolly with the Fuse. The alternatives to the Fuse were the Thor Compass and one of the Winnebago sister models to the Fuse, and I would have towed with either of those as well.

Our previous RV was a Pleasure-Way Class B and we could have towed with that also, but the B was so small there was no reason for a separate vehicle.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #27

This tread was started by an owner wanting to tow a trailer not about flat towing. The problem with towing with a class C comes when there is the tongue weight of a trailer involved. Especially with the ridiculous/absurd amount of overhang behind the real axles many class C have.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #28

Quote:
This tread was started by an owner wanting to tow a trailer not about flat towing. The problem with towing with a class C comes when there is the tongue weight of a trailer involved. Especially with the ridiculous/absurd amount of overhang behind the real axles many class C have.
All trailers have a tongue weight so whenever you tow with any RV or car there is a tongue weight to consider, but that does not prevent a Class C from towing. You just have to add the tongue weight to the weight of the trailer to determine if the vehicle can tow it.

As far as the limiting tow weight our Fuse has one of the lowest at 3140 pounds, but that can be increased by decreasing what you are carrying in the RV since the tow weight is really the difference between the GCWR and the GVWR and with our Fuse we are easily capable of towing a dolly and our Honda Fit and the spare tire for the dolly.

As it is, the newest Cs on the Sprinter chassis have more than 4000 pounds of towing capacity and even the new Ford Transit chassis can now tow 4000 pounds and that is probably enough to flat-tow one of the lighter 2 door Jeep Wranglers.

Tags
trailer