Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Cause For Tire Failure

There are over 70 posts on another active thread regarding whether or not to carry a spare. The number of RV's that experienced tire failure on those posts are notable, including several folks who had more than one. In the interest of informing those who do not carry a spare, do carry and do not want to put it on, or do not want to wait for road service, can we get some data on the potential cause for those failures?

For those those of you that have had a flat, could you report if:

- It was a puncture from an object (bad luck)
- The tire was more than 7 years past manufacture date
- You had TPMS and regularly reviewed the data
- You previously weighed your fully loaded rig at all axles/corners and knew
the tire was within the its load rating
- It was a "budget" tire (cheap)
- Other issue?
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

I technically don’t fit your qualifications as a respondent since I haven’t had a RV flat yet (knock on wood) , but in 62 years and probably 2 million miles the only tires I have ever had fail due to poor tire quality was some China Bomb trailer tires and the old Firestone 500 passenger car tires from the 70’s

All other failures have been due to road hazards (punctures and worse)
Contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

There are probably thousands of posts (not 70) about the many failures of tires/rims, and what each of us do to either change it ourselves, have someone else change it for us, or sit on the side of the road till the cows come home.
There are dozens of other ways a tire can go flat that you have not listed.
Not trying to be funny, but you either have or don't have a flat, and your either prepared or not prepared for it.

Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
For your database/study:

- It was a puncture from an object (bad luck) - - Not likely. No road hazard seen or felt and the TPMS did not alarm for pressure or temp problems until after the "12 ga shotgun" noise from the blowout.

- The tire was more than 7 years past manufacture date - - Tire was a couple of months short of 5 years from its "birthdate"

- You had TPMS and regularly reviewed the data - - Don't review the data while driving …. just watch the road/mirrors; etc, and listen for any TPMS alarms (temp or pressure.) Heard none prior to the "event"….. but sure heard that loud screech from the TPMS after the event. (Actually a non-event. Just a loud bang, ease to the side of the road and call my tire service…….took about an hour.)

- You previously weighed your fully loaded rig at all axles/corners and knew the tire was within the its load rating. No. I was enroute home to Denver from Long Beach with a new-to-me rig …… "lightest trip ever taken" so far. (Just me, approx 10 gal of water and 1 suitcase onboard.) I have since weighed it fully loaded for travel (much heavier of course) and I am well below the tire's load limit; but, only a few hundred lbs below the GVWR or the GAWRs. No 4-corner weights yet, only front and rear axle CAT scale weights.

- It was a "budget" tire (cheap) No. OEMs were Goodrich load range E; the second owner installed replacement Goodrich tires, also load range E. Both the original owner and the PO had one tire failure (each)…. all 3 failures to date have been an inside dual. Don't suspect there is anything wrong with Goodrich tires, but I eased into Las Vegas and had all new Bridgestones put on by the one tire store that agreed to stay around (Sat afternoon) until I was on the road again. 16K miles since and no tire problems of any kind, but those Bridgestones will never see a 5th birthday on my rig, let alone a 7th. Of course lotsa folks run up to 10 years, but not me. (I belong to the "Tires is cheaper'n bones" club.) lol

-Other issue? None

Just my opinion, FWIW: I consider my little 16" tires on that heavily loaded E450 my primary chassis safety concern. I "watch 'em like a hawk"...... ck/adjust pressures before breaking camp, put the IR gun on them at rest stops, etc. The marginal brakes (in the event of a panic stop …. two of those for me) are not far behind though in the "Ford" concern category.

Seems like just about all the 30+ ft Class C rigs have "weight watcher" owners; the 24 ft folks…… not so much. Many of us with the longer rigs put heavy stuff in the toad because there is usually lots of reserve in the GCWR if a "lightweight" toad is pulled.

Safe travels…………….. and a Happy New Year.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
For your database/study:

- It was a puncture from an object (bad luck) - - Not likely. No road hazard seen or felt and the TPMS did not alarm for pressure or temp problems until after the "12 ga shotgun" noise from the blowout.

- The tire was more than 7 years past manufacture date - - Tire was a couple of months short of 5 years from its "birthdate"

- You had TPMS and regularly reviewed the data - - Don't review the data while driving …. just watch the road/mirrors; etc, and listen for any TPMS alarms (temp or pressure.) Heard none prior to the "event"….. but sure heard that loud screech from the TPMS after the event. (Actually a non-event. Just a loud bang, ease to the side of the road and call my tire service…….took about an hour.)

- You previously weighed your fully loaded rig at all axles/corners and knew the tire was within the its load rating. No. I was enroute home to Denver from Long Beach with a new-to-me rig …… "lightest trip ever taken" so far. (Just me, approx 10 gal of water and 1 suitcase onboard.) I have since weighed it fully loaded for travel (much heavier of course) and I am well below the tire's load limit; but, only a few hundred lbs below the GVWR or the GAWRs. No 4-corner weights yet, only front and rear axle CAT scale weights.

- It was a "budget" tire (cheap) No. OEMs were Goodrich load range E; the second owner installed replacement Goodrich tires, also load range E. Both the original owner and the PO had one tire failure (each)…. all 3 failures to date have been an inside dual. Don't suspect there is anything wrong with Goodrich tires, but I eased into Las Vegas and had all new Bridgestones put on by the one tire store that agreed to stay around (Sat afternoon) until I was on the road again. 16K miles since and no tire problems of any kind, but those Bridgestones will never see a 5th birthday on my rig, let alone a 7th. Of course lotsa folks run up to 10 years, but not me. (I belong to the "Tires is cheaper'n bones" club.) lol

-Other issue? None

Just my opinion, FWIW: I consider my little 16" tires on that heavily loaded E450 my primary chassis safety concern. I "watch 'em like a hawk"...... ck/adjust pressures before breaking camp, put the IR gun on them at rest stops, etc. The marginal brakes (in the event of a panic stop …. two of those for me) are not far behind though in the "Ford" concern category.

Seems like just about all the 30+ ft Class C rigs have "weight watcher" owners; the 24 ft folks…… not so much. Many of us with the longer rigs put heavy stuff in the toad because there is usually lots of reserve in the GCWR if a "lightweight" toad is pulled.

Safe travels…………….. and a Happy New Year.
If I read that right, the blowout was on a tire that you inherited from the previous owner. Since your new set of tires, you're doing everything "right" (except maybe, corner weights), and have 16K miles trouble free.

I guess that is what I'm chasing with my original question. How many folks have a tire failure (excepting punctures), when they do everything possible to treat them right.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Keep an eye on your tires no matter what. The only blowout was when I had a FW was due to a slightly bent axle. Tire worn out on the inside and caused it. I didn't notice until after the blowout.