Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #1

CB radio install

Has anyone installed a CB radio in their RV? If so, where did you install the antenna ( best place for reception ) and how did you run the cable without having to tear up walls? I want to mount mine around the dash someplace where its convenient while driving. Thanks in advance. By the way, I have a class C Entegra Esteem 29V
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
On our class C, i used one of the through the glass antennas on a window in the side of the overhead bunk area. If that is not good for you look at the FireStix NGP antennas.Firestik Antenna Company Home Page

You can read about the different grounded or non-grounded antennas. In any case, I would not go shorter than a 3 ft antenna wit h1/2 to 2/3 of it above the roof. Also use a spring mount on the antenna.

You will also need to get the antenna SWR (standing wave ratio check and the antenna tuned for your installation. With improper SWR, the antenna can back feed into the radio and run the radio and performance will be poor.

As for the radio, you can mount it on the side of the engine cover. I carried a CB under the back seat for 15 years and finally tossed it in the trash. It was never very useful for me. Too much trucker garbage for me.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #3

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f55/cb-r...ll-533460.html
Old 06-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #4

CB antenna mount

I have an older Class A RV. It came with a CB antenna already installed above the driver side mirror (I’ve included a photo). Back in the 80’s people would mount CB antennas on both mirrors of their pickup trucks (totally overkill).
I still have a small magnetic mount CB antenna in my garage. That might be a good option for you. Walmart sells them for around $15. I would think the most difficult part is routing the wire inside the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6A55A23-C586-4B38-A0DB-9096A44B83C2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	332913  
Stannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
where did you install the antenna
My antenna is centered on the hood. I ran the cable under the hood and in the driver's door.

I have a pair of Midland hand-held units that I use in the RV and in the car.

They work VERY well.

Tim

Healeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Back in the 80’s people would mount CB antennas on both mirrors of their pickup trucks (totally overkill).

Not necessarily. A properly designed and installed co-phased 2 antenna system creates some directionality at right angled to a line drawn between the 2 antennas. On a vehicle, this would be in the direction of travel.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

Consider a marine CB antenna. They are designed for no-ground plane installation, and come in an adjustable ratchet or a lift-and-lay mount. I did a lift-and-lay on our last motorhome. Here's the base of a Tram L&L mount. The antenna itself is 3' long, top loaded. It should be able to be mounted vertically, and the antenna raised vertically up, or lifted and swung 108 degrees down for clearance. I like Tram marine antennas. I have a Tram marine Sirius XM antenna on my current motorhome.

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As for the radio, you can mount it on the side of the engine cover. I carried a CB under the back seat for 15 years and finally tossed it in the trash. It was never very useful for me. Too much trucker garbage for me.
Ken
I agree with Ken on CB in general. The only reason I can see for having a CB is to communicate with a companion RV, or with a family member or friend who's away from the RV while parked, in which case a handheld FRS radio (no license required).

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-keeping-touch

Magnetic mounts are fine if there's a metal attachment point. Tim's hood solution kills two birds with one stone, presumably it's a magnetic mount but, even if it's not, being on the metal hood, provides a good "ground plane". The same antenna, mounted on the fiberglass roof wouldn't be nearly as effective unless you added a sufficiently large metal plate to provide the ground plane.

The link Winterbagol posted gives some pretty good info.

CB and other radio antennas are affected by everything around them so location, grounding, etc. all have an effect on them. You'll find that it's part science and part "magic". This is especially apparent as the frequency range increases. CB at 27 mhz is just below the VHF (very high frequency) range which starts at 30 mhz which means it's relatively sensitive to these issues.

Ken also mentioned SWR. You can get a relatively inexpensive SWR meter on Amazon, which will help you in determining the best setup (you want to be as close to 1:1 SWR as possible. There are several here for under $30:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=swr+meter...l_4lsgufldx6_e

Ken and I are both amateur radio operators or "Hams". If you find you really get interested in this radio stuff, the FCC Amateur Radio Technician's license exam isn't too difficult. Local Amateur radio clubs offer training sessions, in some cases, one day sessions culminating in the exam.

One more thing - The type of coaxial cable you use between your radio and antenna is critical:

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/b...ide-to-cb-coax

Bob
KJ6SVX
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I agree with Ken on CB in general. The only reason I can see for having a CB is to communicate with a companion RV, or with a family member or friend who's away from the RV while parked, in which case a handheld FRS radio (no license required).

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-keeping-touch

Magnetic mounts are fine if there's a metal attachment point. Tim's hood solution kills two birds with one stone, presumably it's a magnetic mount but, even if it's not, being on the metal hood, provides a good "ground plane". The same antenna, mounted on the fiberglass roof wouldn't be nearly as effective unless you added a sufficiently large metal plate to provide the ground plane.

The link Winterbagol posted gives some pretty good info.

CB and other radio antennas are affected by everything around them so location, grounding, etc. all have an effect on them. You'll find that it's part science and part "magic". This is especially apparent as the frequency range increases. CB at 27 mhz is just below the VHF (very high frequency) range which starts at 30 mhz which means it's relatively sensitive to these issues.

Ken also mentioned SWR. You can get a relatively inexpensive SWR meter on Amazon, which will help you in determining the best setup (you want to be as close to 1:1 SWR as possible. There are several here for under $30:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=swr+meter...l_4lsgufldx6_e

Ken and I are both amateur radio operators or "Hams". If you find you really get interested in this radio stuff, the FCC Amateur Radio Technician's license exam isn't too difficult. Local Amateur radio clubs offer training sessions, in some cases, one day sessions culminating in the exam.

One more thing - The type of coaxial cable you use between your radio and antenna is critical:

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/b...ide-to-cb-coax

Bob
KJ6SVX
Thanks guys. What if I mount the antenna on the very top of my roof ladder and run my coaxial wire under the MH to the engine compartment and go through the firewall to my dash. Would my ladder be a ground or do I still have to use an antenna that does not need a ground? I am trying to get distance. Thanks for any help on this topic.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Thanks guys. What if I mount the antenna on the very top of my roof ladder and run my coaxial wire under the MH to the engine compartment and go through the firewall to my dash. Would my ladder be a ground or do I still have to use an antenna that does not need a ground? I am trying to get distance. Thanks for any help on this topic.
I've never tried it but, from what I've read, the ladder won't be that effective. You'll have to connect to either the chassis or install a sheet metal ground plane on the roof. Personally I like the sheet metal approach. You can easily experiment with different sizes of metal plates without permanently installing them, just don't drive. A big advantage is you can install it over your cab, shortening your coax run.

Here are two sites that may help:

https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-rad...oundplane.html

The video is about a ham radio installation, but the principles are the same.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the RV has an aluminum skin, that makes for about as good a ground plane as you'll ever get for a vehicle installation. If it's fiberglass, then you can either add a sheet metal groundplane as the guy did for his VHF/UHF mag mount in the video but for CB this would need to be much bigger (think the size of a trunk lid or car roof). Or just attach the antenna to something that's part of frame ground and call it done. Part of the definition of success here is what the expectation is. For CB if you can make contact with anyone for about a mile that's about as much as you may ever want or need. To get much more than that would require a more involved installation which I would guess is far beyond the interest level or attention span for most people. So skip "ideal", screw the antenna to something handy (ladder, A/C unit frame, roof gutter) and see if that meets the need. If it doesn't work you move it somewhere else. Once you hear what's on CB and the few times one may actually use it I wouldn't go through any extraordinary measures to create an ideal installation.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Thanks guys. You all have provided a wealth of information. I am going to try some of your ideas and hopefully one of them will serve my needs. Thanks again

Tags
install, radio