RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Chassis radio converting

I want to be able to convert the chassis radio to be able to play it when we are parked for the night. So I知 looking to put in a switch to go from chassis battery to the house battery so as not to drain the chassis battery. Now has anyone done this, if so did you find a better way of doing it? I値l also be adding a fuse in the line from the house battery to the switch.
Cheers

Platinum 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #2

Don't know what type brand model year or style RV you have, but if it has a set of 6 volt and a set of 12 volt batteries, then you likely have your house battery voltage already up at the dash. You can just wire to that. If you have a class A RV (and maybe even a class C), there's likely a switch on the dash that you can throw that automatically powers the radio from the house batteries. And yes I'm aware that we're in the Class C thread, thing is that people often post in the wrong place. So if you don't mind, it would help if you'd put specifics of your RV in your sig.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Platinum 1;5283322]I want to be able to convert the chassis radio to be able to play it when we are parked for the night. So I知 looking to put in a switch to go from chassis battery to the house battery so as not to drain the chassis battery. Now has anyone done this, if so did you find a better way of doing it? I値l also be adding a fuse in the line from the house battery to the switch.
Cheers[/QUOT

I did this on my class c. There are two power wires to be concerned about. The constant hot and the switched hot. I used a double pole single throw switch.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

Hey,
Thank you I’ll look for that.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum 1 View Post
Hey,
Thank you I値l look for that.
Sorry, it's a double pole double throw switch. You can run one hot wire from the house battery and tie it to both terminals on the switch. Use an inline fuse near the house battery. I attached a simplified schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_145945.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	287600  
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #6

Why not simply connect the radio to the house battery?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #7

Yes Glenn,
Thank you for the drawing, we were thinking the same type idea. Just thought it would be a good idea to bounce it off you all.
Regards

Tags
chassis, radio