Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Check engine light coming on with a banks system installed

Hi, This is my first post We have a 2005 Thor Dutchmen 31P with a 6.8L V-10. It has a banks powerpack system installed on it. The check engine light keeps coming on with the same code. I have had it to the Ford dealer twice to have the problem fixed. First time it was at the ford dealer they said the fuel filter needed changed they did it and for about two trips the light was back on with the same trouble code. Second time at the ford dealer the said the o2 senser was bad and they changed it. Two trip later the ligt was back on. I would like to know if anyone else with a Banks system has there check engine light come on. Would the computer need to be reset or need reset. We bought this motorhome used in 2009 with the banks system installed.
Dutchmen 31P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seen this before on banks installs. call Banks and let them sort it out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a Banks system on my 2004 Dolphin, 8.1 engine. Same problem you describe. Yesterday, I called Banks Tech dept. and explained. He told me to NOT fill the tank to the top when filling up. This fills the return line and fouls up the Oxy sensor. My code came up P031. Tech said to let it set a while to allow the fuel to drain out of the return tube, then reset and clear the code. You may want to call tech direct, they are very helpful. I talked to "Cliff". He says always remove hose when it clicks off when filling and do not "top" it off. Good luck. Do you have the Ottominder code reader and computer reader?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Thanks i will do that Ken
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
I installed a Banks system on my 2004 Dolphin, 8.1 engine. Same problem you describe. Yesterday, I called Banks Tech dept. and explained. He told me to NOT fill the tank to the top when filling up. This fills the return line and fouls up the Oxy sensor. My code came up P031. Tech said to let it set a while to allow the fuel to drain out of the return tube, then reset and clear the code. You may want to call tech direct, they are very helpful. I talked to "Cliff". He says always remove hose when it clicks off when filling and do not "top" it off. Good luck. Do you have the Ottominder code reader and computer reader?
Thanks my codes are p295 and p297 everytime it happens I will call tech support at banks to see what they say about what is causing the codes.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to gthsrark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post

Hello, No real machanicbut am used to heating the same old things abut the ox ssensor, etc. Usually when he light comes on you can have sutozone check it free, they haven't ever reset mine but the first thing usualy the say the code is an Ox sensor. For real, the scanners a a waste of time, they will not tell yo what the correct problem is, (just an area in which the defective part/sesor is. What they do is start with the code repair and when the light comes back on, a day or, three maybe a wek or so) and the light is back on. Then you take it back and have them read anouther code. The problem say maybe in the fuel sustrm, what they do is start with the next in line of whiich ever in a fuel line system having many parts/sensored, the end up putting them all in till the problem is gone. Beware of what they are claming and make sure you get a copy of what all they replaced. This way you can look it over and see what all they repaced. Which will be in the fuel line componets. I bought a scanner OBDII and the code reset might hold off the light for a few days. Then it's back to the repair shop for another piece replaced in the same area. God news though, when they are done and you are broke, the things you didn't need or want are all new now. The scanner is just a gadget to give an idea where to start. Other than that, they are useless. The scanner thing they do is a rip off for sure. Better to find a repair manual and have a read in the trouble shooting index/questions. That to me is much better than the scanners.
Good luck. Oh, before I forget, your' gas tank lid maybe bad, leaking more air in Loosing pressure) than it should. It's in with the fuel line of componets) Thee area which the scanner found a problem(s). Good luck and your' repairs.
Regards, GTHSRark
Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to gthsrark
Dash warning light, (check engine) scanner

Hello, No real machanicbut am used to heating the same old things abut the ox ssensor, etc. Usually when he light comes on you can have sutozone check it free, they haven't ever reset mine but the first thing usualy the say the code is an Ox sensor. For real, the scanners a a waste of time, they will not tell yo what the correct problem is, (just an area in which the defective part/sesor is. What they do is start with the code repair and when the light comes back on, a day or, three maybe a wek or so) and the light is back on. Then you take it back and have them read anouther code. The problem say maybe in the fuel sustrm, what they do is start with the next in line of whiich ever in a fuel line system having many parts/sensored, the end up putting them all in till the problem is gone. Beware of what they are claming and make sure you get a copy of what all they replaced. This way you can look it over and see what all they repaced. Which will be in the fuel line componets. I bought a scanner OBDII and the code reset might hold off the light for a few days. Then it's back to the repair shop for another piece replaced in the same area. God news though, when they are done and you are broke, the things you didn't need or want are all new now. The scanner is just a gadget to give an idea where to start. Other than that, they are useless. The scanner thing they do is a rip off for sure. Better to find a repair manual and have a read in the trouble shooting index/questions. That to me is much better than the scanners.
Good luck. Oh, before I forget, your' gas tank lid maybe bad, leaking more air in Loosing pressure) than it should. It's in with the fuel line of componets) Thee area which the scanner found a problem(s). Good luck and your' repairs.
Regards, GTHSRark
gthsrark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Called Banks tech line they said that the codes it is showing p2195 and p2197 is a vaccum leak or a bad EGR valve. I also did some online research and all of it says it is one of them. So if anyone out there has had the same problem I would like to hear from you about what you did. Thanks to all who responded so far.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #9

I am having the same problem with my 2008 E450 V10 and Banks system. The check engine light popped on in Feb when I went out and started the rig for it's monthly warm up. I took it to a Ford dealership first thing I did was tell them it has a Banks system on it and the tech immediately said it voided the warranty, red flag #1. I told him I wasn’t going to argue with him but I should have known that these guys were going to take me for a ride $$. After 2 hours the tech had no clue but hey the light was off! The tech even went as far as to try and tell me that I was supposed to have 3 o2 sensors ad that I only had 2 red flag #2. The tech said he could reset the computer but he could only set it to the factory setting, red Flag #3. I wouldn’t let him do it paid for the 2 hours of labor $180 and took my rig to the Camping World that did the install and they didn't find anything wrong but the light was off and no codes came up and charged me for an hour of labor $80! So I drove home and the light was out for the 45 min drive and so far I am out $260 with no answers! The rig has now sat for 2 months and I started it up this morning and the light came on. I am going to plug in the OBDII and make a phone call and see what comes next. I will post a follow up later today.
20andOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

I called Banks and hooked up the Ottomind, the code was a 02 sensor but the tech also asked about filling the gas tank and said before I go and spend more $$ on a sensor that probably isn't bad to clear the code and drive 100 miles. Next fill up to not fill the gas tank to the rim. He said specifically not to not top off the tank. I said we will start with that and go from there.
20andOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20andOut View Post
I called Banks and hooked up the Ottomind, the code was a 02 sensor but the tech also asked about filling the gas tank and said before I go and spend more $$ on a sensor that probably isn't bad to clear the code and drive 100 miles. Next fill up to not fill the gas tank to the rim. He said specifically not to not top off the tank. I said we will start with that and go from there.
Thanks 20andOUT Let me know if the not filling the tank works for you I will try the same thing. we are going on a camping trip next week. thanks again for your info.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This is not the first time I have heard of that remedy. It seems to be a common problem, that and not getting the gas cap on properly will cause check engine lights. You can do a search on "check engine light from overfilling gas tank" and find quite a lot of posts.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
I've been driving Fords since before all of the sensors and have driven one for YEARS with 'check engine light' on, with NO harmful effects !! As has been mentioned several SIMPLE things can make it come on and some more major things, such as EGRs, etc.. These can be found by other signs.. I think Ford just makes that light come on to scare folks into more service calls$$$... I have had the gas cap happen to me ; in the 'old days' people used to stick rags in the filler tube for a gas cap...

Smooth roads & balmy breezes !!!!!!!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post

in the 'old days' people used to stick rags in the filler tube for a gas cap...
Yes I remember seeing those years ago...
I believe they were called the Ford "Molotov Cocktail" edition

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote