Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Choke on the genny

I really don't know where to ask this - the choke on the old Onan Genny wont work right. Once hot she starts right up, but when cold and the day is cold, must be started manually from outside. What could cause this?

And is it safe to run the genny just to make coffee? IOW, under a very light load? It's a 4000.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

Before trying to start the generator, priming it might help. Just push your stop/off button for a few seconds, which should prime the unit.
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be safe to run the generator under a light load., although you're probably better off running it for an hour or so to exercise it. They're made to be worked, and are affected more from not being used and exercised, than being used.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Before trying to start the generator, priming it might help. Just push your stop/off button for a few seconds, which should prime the unit.
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be safe to run the generator under a light load., although you're probably better off running it for an hour or so to exercise it. They're made to be worked, and are affected more from not being used and exercised, than being used.
I will try the priming next time. Neither of us like going outside in the cold mornings to start the darn thing. Or in the chill of evenings. But waiting for perked coffee on the propane stove isn't my favorite pastime. We do let it run for awhile but it must really like gas as it cuts into our MPG when on the road. We try not to use it too much.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

I have just visited the Cummings Engine garage with my Generator issues and it was the best $500 dollars I have spent on my 24 year old rig. I now have correct voltage and starts easy and I can turn on both my air conditioners immediately once it starts.

Now I needed a $300 voltage regulator so maybe a simple tune up might be all you need....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I have just visited the Cummings Engine garage with my Generator issues and it was the best $500 dollars I have spent on my 24 year old rig. I now have correct voltage and starts easy and I can turn on both my air conditioners immediately once it starts.

Now I needed a $300 voltage regulator so maybe a simple tune up might be all you need....
Our old Dutchman has cost us thousands since we bought it. I hate to put even more into it. $500 isn't pocket change especially after the new fridge and other repair parts we just bought. DH has a voltage meter.... what is the correct voltage that it needs to start eight up?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I really don't know where to ask this - the choke on the old Onan Genny wont work right. Once hot she starts right up, but when cold and the day is cold, must be started manually from outside. What could cause this?

And is it safe to run the genny just to make coffee? IOW, under a very light load? It's a 4000.
I'll assume your Onan is of the 1993 vintage as listed in your signature. Can you post the model number? Gensets of that era will not have a "prime" function. Depending upon the model yours may be a vacuum operated choke pull-off, a combination vacuum and electric pull-off, or thermal pull-off. In most cases on units of this vintage, I find either the vacuum diaphragm failed or the 1/4" tubing which supplies it, When they fail they are unable to hold the choke in the proper position until the unit is running and somewhat warmed up. Very easy fix, very inexpensive, does not require removal of the genset from the coach.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #7

That voltage would be 120 or there about!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #8

I believe she's referring to cranking voltage, which would be 12v DC, but this would have nothing to do with the current problem, which appears to be with the choke. The electric chokes would be powered by AC, not 12v DC.
Quote:
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #9

The choke is adjustable. A lot of small engine guys won't have any trouble figuring out how to do that. That's usually all that's wrong, but there's a possibility it's sticking, or some other issue going on (like no power) but those are more unusual. The fact it starts OK from outside tells me it's something simple, like that adjustment....
Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I'll assume your Onan is of the 1993 vintage as listed in your signature. Can you post the model number?
I can get that tomorrow. I live out in the country and it creeps me out to go outside at night. As far as we know it is the original Gen.

Quote:
Gensets of that era will not have a "prime" function. Depending upon the model yours may be a vacuum operated choke pull-off, a combination vacuum and electric pull-off, or thermal pull-off. In most cases on units of this vintage, I find either the vacuum diaphragm failed or the 1/4" tubing which supplies it, When they fail they are unable to hold the choke in the proper position until the unit is running and somewhat warmed up. Very easy fix, very inexpensive, does not require removal of the genset from the coach.
Please explain how it's done. The choke wont shut off is the problem. He checked the voltage and it's good.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:
DH told me yesterday it's not the voltage. He said the choke stays on and chokes it down after it warms up. The choke wont shut off. Voltage is good. So he disconnected the choke and has to start the dratted thing manually.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The choke is adjustable. A lot of small engine guys won't have any trouble figuring out how to do that.
We already paid a RV tech and he had it working great - but it didn't last. That place is now out of business so we can't take it back there.

Quote:
That's usually all that's wrong, but there's a possibility it's sticking, or some other issue going on (like no power) but those are more unusual. The fact it starts OK from outside tells me it's something simple, like that adjustment....
How would it be adjusted? The genny runs great once she warms up. The tech did a good job on the old thing.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #13

I'm very confused. In your first post you said it starts great when hot, but is tough to get started when cold.

Now you seem to be saying the opposite, it won't run when hot because the choke is still on.

Either way, I don't see how starting from inside panel or outside would affect the automatic choke operation.

Maybe I missed something.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Our old Dutchman has cost us thousands since we bought it. I hate to put even more into it. $500 isn't pocket change especially after the new fridge and other repair parts we just bought. DH has a voltage meter.... what is the correct voltage that it needs to start eight up?
Quote:
More like 12 or there about!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote