Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Class C Advice

thinking of going to a class c,we have a 30 ft class a now that seems like a handfull to drive its the first rv i have had. it has a 190 inch wheel base is a work horse chassis..really like older tioga 31w floor plan and it has 218in wheel base so wondering if the longer wheel base would make it ride/drive better? im limited to 31 ft length for storage the tioga 31.6 so may work. any thoughts ?
czike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 31-M and liked it alot. As far as handling- we had a 24-D prior and I really didn't feel much difference. The 24 was on an F350 and the 31 was the F450. These things aren't built to handle so just drive and load it accordingly. You can do expensive suspension upgrades but unless you travel alot I don't think they're worth the money. The 31-W is nice but we preferred the enclosed bath and private bedroom along with all the natural light through the aisle windows. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

Fords and Chevy's handle differently. If your floor plan is available on a Chevy chassis, it might be worth a test drive.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #4

I've had the Ford E450 for a little over a year now, and I think it handles pretty well with a 32 ft body. I try to keep it around 65, though, as that seems to be a decent, manageable speed that doesn't get you blown away by the 18 wheelers.
BobinChina03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have driven a late 90's class A F53 30ft, and a 2018 34ft.. an hour or so each.. The 2018 diesel pulled well just seems big on the road and not nimble.. It has a 24 fot enclosed trailer with it.. LOL..

I am on 3rd Class C, personally,. An older 87 Class C ford, 23 foot.. is what it was,,,LOL

MY 94 converted Limo Bus to RV 22 foot, E350.. It is heavy, rides hard but can do 70-75 is fast line,, it does weave when a semi blows by...

Current 96 Minnie 29RQ, E350,, Like a caddy on the highway, whether towing my 16 ft enclosed (4500lbs) or not,, It does well on highway, to me, it is as easy as the shorter ones to manuver, just a tad wider swing..
I honk the Highway at speed, Country roads with sharp turns it is no Porsche.. Lean......
It has stock springs, upgraded shocks and stabilers, good Michelins at 80lbs.. 35K on odo..

Just my tidbits..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Cool thanks for the input!
Old 10-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

Before abandoning your current coach, have you done anything to address its handling issues. I the case of my coach I found a simple 1/3 turn of the adjustment screw on the steering box made a night and day difference in how it handled on the highway. Yours may be something just as simple.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
curious as to what model class A you have and the year,,

as mentioned you may be able to address tires and a few adjustments,,,

I have found good tires make a huge difference,,

simple things like a good set of shock and a HD stabilzer for steering,,

But the condition of springs etc,,

Longer wheel base should be more stable but harder on turns....

Poor or worn suspension, wrong tires will have you rocking and swaying...
Old 10-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
ive been thru the basics,good tires,new springs off the weight of vehicle.shocks good.steering stabilizer is good.new super steer drag links,super steer rear track bar.alignment...it maybe the way it is? thanks tho
Old 10-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czike View Post
ive been thru the basics,good tires,new springs off the weight of vehicle.shocks good.steering stabilizer is good.new super steer drag links,super steer rear track bar.alignment...it maybe the way it is? thanks tho
could be the nature of the beast
Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
yep think so,works for now.maybe ill switch to a toyhauler or something longer who knows,prob not a classs c now ive done a little research....
Old 10-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #12

Just go ahead and bite the bullet and dig up all that money you have hidden in jars in the back yard and get that diesel pusher that you really want !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
i wish that was the case haha
Old 10-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czike View Post
yep think so,works for now.maybe ill switch to a toyhauler or something longer who knows,prob not a classs c now ive done a little research....
going to a class c from a class A is a shocker unless you are just downsizing. a 30A vs a 30C when it comes to interior space and layout,, the A wins most of the time..
goodluck , travel safe..

Tags
advice, class c