Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

Class C bunk fiberglass floor cover removal

Hello.

I have a class c that has a fiberglass floor covering the bunk floor. I need to remove it but it runs under the outside support metal frame. Do I need to cut it out? I need to remove it to get to the wet boards underneath.
Hoosierlab98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

Hoosierlab98 class C bunk

It sounds like you are starting to do what I am in the process of doing right now. After four days of rain, I discovered major flooding in the bunk. The Floor in my bunk was plywood. I had to cut it at the edges near the wall to get it out. I also removed the foam, which was damp, to help in the drying process. Hope this helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0383141B-CB22-47ED-BD70-D4DB0A419589.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	282482   Click image for larger version

Name:	39627F69-A7C4-4C8A-9A6A-DE7030D3B3F7.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	282483  

vicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicm View Post
It sounds like you are starting to do what I am in the process of doing right now. After four days of rain, I discovered major flooding in the bunk. The Floor in my bunk was plywood. I had to cut it at the edges near the wall to get it out. I also removed the foam, which was damp, to help in the drying process. Hope this helped.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I’m getting ready to demo it. I’m thinking about removing the outside trim all around the bunk house so I can get a good look at the top area as well. I don’t want to but not sure if water has been coming from up there. I’d hate to replace the inside stuff if the bunk roof is also rotted and moldy. Did you take a look at your roof?

Here are some pics. I also have water behind the driver’s and passenger’s doors. That’s from where the roof of the van meets the camper as I see some sealant that was put there and/or it’s from water in the bunk draining down those walls. Did you happen to notice that as well?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	114207C2-728B-42AA-BAA3-7AF64442528C.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	282531   Click image for larger version

Name:	5C3E594F-F9C3-405E-A8CF-6A2A2E8AB257.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	282532  

Name:	BC522F8F-5545-4EF6-A395-FE9F05F91F00.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	282533   Click image for larger version

Name:	08246423-ED6E-49DD-9C4E-1156F83FAEE5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	282534  

Old 04-24-2020, 06:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
so you have a fiber glass covering as the floor or bed bottom on the interior..

Normally it is a ply wood of sorts with a thin venier....
I would say that fiberglass insert may be glued in place on a structure similar to what is shown by the other poster..

Mine is spongy on the floor as the ply wood got wet. I have since sealed the leaks and did a fix up.. since I have a full set of cabinates and entertainment center up there..

A FYI, many of the class C up front get damp is used in winter camping.. having the heat on when temps are under 30..... The over hang has crappy "R" value and she can sweat..and over years...

We had 2-3 weeks of no snow, clear but COLD weather, I had heat on 60 degrees while changing the rug and some repairs.. I had drips on the on the seats and head liner.. URGH,, the wood was soaked ...

I have no solution as it is design, I actually put up a curtain that came with the rig, from cieling to floor, it got cold up there and no TV. LOL . but is stopped sweeting..

Under normal use this is not an issue but...

good luck with the fix...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #6

If you go to You Tube and type in something like repair RV rot, Class C overcab repair. There are many videos on the subject.
A few of them know what they are doing most are doing the best they can. The bulk of the overheads are all similar, some metal frame some wood frame, all of the videos are helpful in one way or another.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Hoosierlab98;5234154]Thanks for the reply. Yes I’m getting ready to demo it. I’m thinking about removing the outside trim all around the bunk house so I can get a good look at the top area as well. I don’t want to but not sure if water has been coming from up there. I’d hate to replace the inside stuff if the bunk roof is also rotted and moldy. Did you take a look at your roof?

I would remove the trim on both sides.. It will give you the best access to see what really went on. I know I had too because, if it is that brown on the inside, there is a really good chance it is on the outside. And it was. I repaired some leaking marker lights a few years before I had a complete failure of the passenger side cab over structure. It noticeably sagged about an inch and I found that was mainly due to the leaking of that trim exactly

That is why I am recommending you just open it all up. The aluminum structure "could" be compromised. The welds on some of my internal structure had failed due to rot from moisture. One of my pics show the two bars across the front that crumbled in my hand when I touched them.

While it is far away in the roof shot which I decided to do because if i was doing the cab over I may as well do the roof..... The material , plywood. near the front edge of the roof mating with the cab over was rotted. So that wood was replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21617525_10155606681508903_1087809618089546383_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	283023   Click image for larger version

Name:	21369666_10155606681533903_805531867061763261_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	283024  

Name:	21752067_10155627284208903_5938956295241411119_n.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	283025   Click image for larger version

Name:	22196033_10155684186428903_8584076957971272076_n.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	283026  

Name:	21463346_10155627133658903_6622878355072578583_n.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	283027   Click image for larger version

Name:	22228200_10155686579808903_3698932869220697717_n.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	283028  

Old 04-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #8

Thanks

[QUOTE=Myrons31;5238224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierlab98 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes I’m getting ready to demo it. I’m thinking about removing the outside trim all around the bunk house so I can get a good look at the top area as well. I don’t want to but not sure if water has been coming from up there. I’d hate to replace the inside stuff if the bunk roof is also rotted and moldy. Did you take a look at your roof?

I would remove the trim on both sides.. It will give you the best access to see what really went on. I know I had too because, if it is that brown on the inside, there is a really good chance it is on the outside. And it was. I repaired some leaking marker lights a few years before I had a complete failure of the passenger side cab over structure. It noticeably sagged about an inch and I found that was mainly due to the leaking of that trim exactly

That is why I am recommending you just open it all up. The aluminum structure "could" be compromised. The welds on some of my internal structure had failed due to rot from moisture. One of my pics show the two bars across the front that crumbled in my hand when I touched them.

While it is far away in the roof shot which I decided to do because if i was doing the cab over I may as well do the roof..... The material , plywood. near the front edge of the roof mating with the cab over was rotted. So that wood was replaced.
Thanks for the pictures! What a story! I know I need to pull the trim. I’m concerned that I may mess something up when I do pull it. I’m tempted to just do it though. What are the steps you did to remove it? When you pulled your side trim to you also pull off the roof trim where the bunk meets the roof? I’ve read that using a heat gun helps. Did you reuse the trim pieces or buy new?

Did you do the roof on your own? Did you weld new aluminum braces or have someone do that?

I’ve been watching videos.....
Old 04-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #9

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

All the trim was reused. It can take a lot of abuse but just don't try to abuse it. I didn't use a heat gun for any of the trim removal. It truly came off much easier than I expected for the cab over sides. Probably the reason it leaked..... I removed all the screws from top to bottom. Insert two small putty knives on either side of the trim and just pry up slightly. Move a couple inches and repeat. Same thing with the top trim band between the roof and the top of the cab over. The truly hardest part of the job was getting the old putty out of the trim to put new putty in....

The reason being that I felt that that junction of the side trim and the roof trim, had to be a good leaking point. And even though all of the Dicor "appeared" to be just fine. But upon removal of the trim the wood underneath it was found to be rotted. You will know if the area is or was leaking. The screws holding on both side and top trim will be rusted to the size of a couple toothpicks.

I was able to sister in some more steel tubing with bolts and screws as I know of no welders. I replaced the entire deck with 1/2 inch plywood. Luan for the sides of the cab over and re-laminated the glass sides with two part boat epoxy

The roof was by myself as well. And if i were to do it again. Which I am never going to do. More people.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post
All the trim was reused. It can take a lot of abuse but just don't try to abuse it. I didn't use a heat gun for any of the trim removal. It truly came off much easier than I expected for the cab over sides. Probably the reason it leaked..... I removed all the screws from top to bottom. Insert two small putty knives on either side of the trim and just pry up slightly. Move a couple inches and repeat. Same thing with the top trim band between the roof and the top of the cab over. The truly hardest part of the job was getting the old putty out of the trim to put new putty in....

The reason being that I felt that that junction of the side trim and the roof trim, had to be a good leaking point. And even though all of the Dicor "appeared" to be just fine. But upon removal of the trim the wood underneath it was found to be rotted. You will know if the area is or was leaking. The screws holding on both side and top trim will be rusted to the size of a couple toothpicks.

I was able to sister in some more steel tubing with bolts and screws as I know of no welders. I replaced the entire deck with 1/2 inch plywood. Luan for the sides of the cab over and re-laminated the glass sides with two part boat epoxy

The roof was by myself as well. And if i were to do it again. Which I am never going to do. More people.

Nice work..

I will agree on the side trim that holds the corners... I have resealed mine and notices they get loose and minor leaks,, I have loosend then, cleaned and resealed making fora better job..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post

Very helpful!!
Old 04-27-2020, 05:34 AM   #13

Thanks!

Tags
class c, cover, fiberglass, floor, removal