Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Class C for Solo

I have started the research as I retire in December. Looking for insight on small Class C since I travel solo. It has been suggested I look at the Minnie Winnie. Will more than likely buy used, but not very old. Interested in quality. Thanks in advance for the help.
Happy Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #2

You're doing the right thing by researching, but such a "shotgun" approach question will be difficult.

You're going to get lots of different opinions on this. Class A vs Class C, Winnie vs Jayco vs ??, etc. In my opinion, the best approach is to find a floor plan that you love and then research particular models, etc. You'll find that many floor plans are similar across manufacturers, etc. Depending on the age and budget, you'll be either on a Ford chassis or another one with a GM drive train.

Every single brand will have issues. If you're buying used, you have to hope that most of the issues were worked about the by the previous owner(s). Pay for a thorough inspection because some things, like slides, can be very expensive to repair. Different chassis have their own issues, etc.

Good luck and enjoy retirement and your new adventure!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

Don’t forget the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis... we love ours!

X2 on first determining what floor plan you like best... and don’t give in on that as you would most likely always regret.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #4

Everybody either loves or hates the brand they picked. Sometimes they are correct. Sometimes. Keep that in mind.

IMHO The problem with a small C is going too small.
Yes, a short C will get into places a longer one will not. OTOH a C with a towed will average better milage because you will put ,more miles on the towed than the MH once you get out of the pattern of just driving and checking off places. There are many more reasons why base camping and using a towed is easier, more fun and more comfortable than only having one vehicle. The longer you want to stay somewhere the more truth in the statement.

You will want some place to sit other than the dinette. Think about where you will have a comfy chair to watch TV on a cold rainy night. You might also consider a guest chair or other place to sit. That can also be your outside chair unbagged and set up. You will probably want an outside chair for the pleasant weather. TV should be where you can comfortably watch it from your chair and the dinette. Weather at breakfast, interesting program at night kind of idea.

Look for some hanging space. Either there or where you can put some. There are few places where a handy jacket and a place to put your pants at night will not be an issue. After than the overhead bunk becomes a storage space. Handier with some clear plastic tubs. ;-)

If you have hobbies think about where that stuff goes.

FWIW - started with a short C, moved to a longer one to get a separate bedroom with two people. BTDT, don't full time for other reasons.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. My concern is quality, durability of models.
Happy Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

The MW 25B is worth a look. Was too small for 2 in our opinion. If I was alone, it would be perfect. No slides or jack's to deal with. Bed, dinette, couch. Limited counter space is a major downfall.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the biggest class c you can afford, gas milage is not that much different from a small one.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

I too travel solo. Buy a new one and the deprecation will suck your pants off. Shop around. Many out there 8 to ten years old with less than 50,000 miles. Lots of them look brand new. It is mostly "Buyer beware". Only advice I can give is to buy from someone selling local. Stay away from someone living in Wisconsin selling in McAllen TX. Visa Versa.
apbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We first started looking at Class C's in the mid 90's. My wife, which at the time would have been primary user, wanted small, <25'. Yes we could have used it but I now know now that it would have been a mistake.

By chance I saw an ad in the paper for an auction where a local dealer was liquidating stock. Just for fun I went and ended up buying a 31' Class C. My wife was gone for the weekend at a dog show. When I called and told her what I bought she (and her friends) were ecstatic.

The coach had no slides but the floor plan worked out great for us, my wife using the bunk to put dog crates for her show dogs.

We used the coach for +10 years & ~68K miles.

This type of rig would be perfect for a solo RV'er.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
The MW 25B is worth a look. Was too small for 2 in our opinion. If I was alone, it would be perfect. No slides or jack's to deal with. Bed, dinette, couch. Limited counter space is a major downfall.
I agree with TJFogelberg. Even though our 25B works quite well for the two of us with no problem, it would be the perfect size for someone solo.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

My take on quality

1. Quality is wha you make of it. The chassis are all the same. If you see something no matter the model you feel is unsatisfactory, fix it or pay to do so. Could be a crappy or inappropriate caulk job. ..exposed tanks, whatever. Fix it
2. Look in the used market for very high mileage models. Only a couple companies I saw stood out. .assuming decent sample size, that’s Thor and Winnebago. Doesn’t mean they are quality when you buy but the house shell portion is usually solid. Usually. Lots of these in rental fleets.
3. Slides cause a lot of grief. You might want to find a model avoiding it. Look em up. Doesn’t matter the brand and been my experience as well.
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #12

Is this a full time vehicle or just a weekend or vacation vehicle?

Quality is subjective, however every class C I have seen they are built similar to the lower half of class a gas coaches. More bare bones, minimal etc....

Depending on your use a Class c might be fine or considering a larger class A might be a better option.

Do you plan on pulling a vehicle
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #13

Happy Life-

We owned a Lazy Daze Class C for almost three years. They are old-fashioned in layout, but well made. We've met a number of solo folks in both the 24- and 27-foot coaches.

Lazy Daze (LD) sells direct to the customer, and new they are expensive. Many of us have bought them used. Second or third owner seems a sweet spot for LDs. You usually find more west of the Mississippi River than east of it.

Here's some links for you to peruse:

Lazy Daze - "Photo Gallery"
Lazy Daze - Floor Plans
Skylarking
Lazy Daze Owners' Forum Web Site Home Page
Lazy Daze Owners' Forum Classifieds
2006 24-foot LD for sale on Lazy Daze Owners' Forum Classifieds
Lazy Dazes for sale on RVtrader
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, solo