Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

Class C for the Man Cave Design Considerations

Hey folks, I could use your experience with my project.

As per my previous threads I'm looking for a floor plan to live in full-time and have my man cave and enough storage for clothes and other personal stuffs.

I've never settled on a floor plan, so many are so damned slideriffic and a deal killer. I want to have the "living area" a Home Theater with a recliner and my 75" Sony HDTV and some speakers.

Up till now I've looked at models around 28' - 30' where the seating and dinette were right across from each other to do the mods. I'd end up tearing the stock stuff out anyways.

So now to this . . . what if I were to buy a long floor plan like the Redhawk 26XD, Redhawk 29XK, Greyhawk 29W and then remove the furniture from the ONE slide (not bedroom!) and use that wall for storage, clothes etc and keep the slide IN. One advantage of these models is the additional counter space on the kitchen side.

Then I would mount a recliner in the middle of the floor facing back and mount my 75" Sony at the back wall facing forward, add some speakers etc.

I see motorhomes that have furniture mounts on the flooring. As long as I don't run a screw through the tank etc what would be the problem?

I think this would work for my purposes if I properly engineered and secured etc.

What comes to mind if you were to want to do the same project?

Thanks in advance for your advice and considerations!

Class-C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Over the last 6-7 weeks I did a reno on a 29RQ no slides.
I took dinnete and couch out to add new laminate floor..

IF it was Just me or even the wife hanging in it.... I would have done 2 Recliners with a pull out/up tables for each or between depending on the layout.
Above the drivers area is the entertaiment set up with storage, no bunk..
I have a 55" in up there and room for bigger on an Arm to move where needed..

Your post had me thinking but I had to stick to the original plan as we have 2 huskies and have a couple friends over on weekends...

One Friend has a newer 17, 29 grehawk.. I stopped to see it and look at layout.
So similar to my older no slide minnie..
bedroom slide adds room and allows storage wall.
The long kitch area is placed well .. You can really gut that slide and do as you wish putting TV up over passenger seat area at a slight angle or middle on an arm to adjust,,,

Budget and your DIY skills will be next...LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #3

Thanks Sibe for the thoughtful reply!

This week I also spoke with a number of RV dealers and the folks say that while they don't know of anyone actually doing what I propose, they don't see any reason why it wouldn't be completely feasible.

Any 29' is a great size for what I want to do. If you look at all the Ujoint Offroad videos on utube you'll see the Class C mods I intend to do for camping and rugged terrain. Runs around $18k for suspension and axles etc.

A shorter body on a 450 will be less weight on the rig and more for my crap, but then again I'll have to HAVE less to fit in the smaller rig. Better gas mileage? Easier up hills?
Old 03-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-C-Guy View Post
Thanks Sibe for the thoughtful reply!

This week I also spoke with a number of RV dealers and the folks say that while they don't know of anyone actually doing what I propose, they don't see any reason why it wouldn't be completely feasible.

Any 29' is a great size for what I want to do. If you look at all the Ujoint Offroad videos on utube you'll see the Class C mods I intend to do for camping and rugged terrain. Runs around $18k for suspension and axles etc.

A shorter body on a 450 will be less weight on the rig and more for my crap, but then again I'll have to HAVE less to fit in the smaller rig. Better gas mileage? Easier up hills?
"Ujoint off-road"

Thank you!!!!!!
One thing I've hated about my Thor chaetau class c since I got it was the complete lack of clearance for boondocking. Didn't think anyone went full retard on these things turning them into 4x4. Wow. I don't have the 20k to spend but this has opened up some ideas for ways to fix the clearance and crap handling.

Damn I'd love to have a 4x4 class c.
jlentz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #5

There are varying degrees of mod-ability on the 450's and even the Chevys. Another place out of Cali is called Weldtec and they just do the lifts w coil spings instead of leaf springs. They can offer up to 5" on a Chevy frame. Since there isn't a 4x4 option for Chevy, one could make the rear lockers so at least it isn't differential slip. That's 4 big tires in unison, better than nothing.

Both places have varying prices depending on what \ how much you want done, and if you have a competent place to wrench for you they will ship the parts on pallets. I hear across a lot of forums that adding sway bars etc really helps with control.

I hope to go full retard before summer

Tags
class c