Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the o.p:

I woudn't get shook about your mileage at all. We had a '96 Fleetwood Tioga 24' class C and averaged between 8 and 9 mpg towing a boat or not..didn't change too much. Have fun with you rig!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #30

Diesel vs gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showkey View Post
Maybe apples and pears .................I am at a about 15000 lbs and 39' long. The 3 liter handles the load just fine even in the mountains with double MPG?

If and when I want more interior space I will not be returning to the big class C.........."small" class A diesel and hope for 10 to 12 mpg.
I never said that anybody should get bigger or smaller RV.
And by the way if I would want to buy Diesel I could get one too - that is not the point!

When I'm towing my car on the dolly I am pushing 20000 lbs and 50' long @ wooping 7-8 mpg.
But having a gas engine, I don't have to pay premium for parts or service.
One set of injectors or turbo charger offsets the advantage of better fuel economy.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T.

I never said that anybody should get bigger or smaller RV.
And by the way if I would want to buy Diesel I could get one too - that is not the point!

When I'm towing my car on the dolly I am pushing 20000 lbs and 50' long @ wooping 7-8 mpg.
One set of injectors or turbo charger offsets the advantage of better fuel economy.
The point of the thread is class C MPG.............the offsets it is twice as expensive on fuel to operate a Ford class C. The injectors and turbo as are all the engine parts are under warranty for 80,000 miles. Every other service part has been similar except oil capacity is 13 qts every 10,000.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
I'm not sure what brand of truck requires that kind of 'maintenance' but my current dually has gone about 250,000 miles with nothing other than tires, brakes and oil changes.

Now I'll give you the fact that the oil change is $100 instead of $35, however.......

Compared to my neighbours truck, identical except a V10 gas engine, it costs me about $0.30 / mile in diesel to go down the road, it costs him about $0.45 / mile in gasoline.

With an oil change every 3,000 miles, I'm saving about $450 in fuel in that time.

If you extend that out, $0.15 / mile savings over 250k miles works out to $37,500 in fuel savings.

Just how expensive are fuel injectors or turbochargers?

I don't know, I've never had to buy either.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
So it appears that your friend's rig gets less than 10 mpg. What are the mpg differences between the two and diesel cost per gallon? In our area diesel is 4.09 per gallon and gas is $3.83.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
So it appears that your friend's rig gets less than 10 mpg. What are the mpg differences between the two and diesel cost per gallon? In our area diesel is 4.09 per gallon and gas is $3.83.

Price of diesel varies widely buy region and season and even by day of thre week........this past year I have paid .50 more and .50 less the going price of gasoline. Avg about .20 more for diesel at $4.00 base line.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I'm not sure what brand of truck requires that kind of 'maintenance' but my current dually has gone about 250,000 miles with nothing other than tires, brakes and oil changes.

Now I'll give you the fact that the oil change is $100 instead of $35, however.......

Compared to my neighbours truck, identical except a V10 gas engine, it costs me about $0.30 / mile in diesel to go down the road, it costs him about $0.45 / mile in gasoline.

With an oil change every 3,000 miles, I'm saving about $450 in fuel in that time.

If you extend that out, $0.15 / mile savings over 250k miles works out to $37,500 in fuel savings.

Just how expensive are fuel injectors or turbochargers?

I don't know, I've never had to buy either.
Hi, I assume that you have a Ford Power Stroke.
Source:Ford Parts - Silver State Ford Parts
Ford Power Stroke exhaust converter 6.0L MSRP $1.911.67
Turbocharger MSRP $1458.33
Injector MSRP $266.67 (each).

Source: Sprinter Parts.net
Dodge Sprinter 2007-2009
Turbocharger $3.751.00
Injector $944.90 (each)

I know that parts prices may vary, nevertheless those are average prices, and most of RV owners must also add the cost of labor.

P.S.

You are right about changing engine oil every 3K, I do the same to all of my vehicles - it saves a lot of the money down the road.
Mercedes,Toyota and some other manufacturers recommend oil changes every 10 -15K , you can search the internet to see how many people who followed this get the problems with engine sludge leading to catastrophic failures.
And one more thing, I like Diesel engines too, but there is more to owning one than just the price of fuel.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #36

I just got a 2013 Thor built 23u on a Chevrolet chassis.(6.0 V8)
On my initial 600 miles I was getting 11.1 with no reset
of the delivery miles.
The next 1100 or so dropped off to 10 with significant wind
in the SW US.
I had also picked up the pace a little.
I'd say first 600 was probably 60 mph average.
Rest of trip 65 mph.
I was pleased as we were pretty well loaded without a tow.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi, I assume that you have a Ford Power Stroke.
Source:Ford Parts - Silver State Ford Parts
Ford Power Stroke exhaust converter 6.0L MSRP $1.911.67
Turbocharger MSRP $1458.33
Injector MSRP $266.67 (each).

Source: Sprinter Parts.net
Dodge Sprinter 2007-2009
Turbocharger $3.751.00
Injector $944.90 (each)

I know that parts prices may vary, nevertheless those are average prices, and most of RV owners must also add the cost of labor.

P.S.

You are right about changing engine oil every 3K, I do the same to all of my vehicles - it saves a lot of the money down the road.
Mercedes,Toyota and some other manufacturers recommend oil changes every 10 -15K , you can search the internet to see how many people who followed this get the problems with engine sludge leading to catastrophic failures.
And one more thing, I like Diesel engines too, but there is more to owning one than just the price of fuel.

Clean diesels are far more likely to have problems with EGR valves, coolers, sensors and piping etc or DPF or DEF systems rather than the turbo or injectors.

All those parts are covered under emisions warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles or power train warranty likely to be 100,000 miles. The emissions stuff can be a PIA.

I run 10,000 mile oil changes.....the worst part is 13 qts of special oil

Tags
fuel