Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Class C Generator Auto Start Switch System Installation

Hello All. My wife and I travel with our pets in our several-year old Winnebago Class C. We connect to shore power which means if the power goes out at the campground (and has) the AC cuts out with our pets inside. Fortunately, we have been close-by and the pets were unharmed.

As a result, I want to install a generator auto start/auto switch system (similar to what I've been told is standard on many Class A's but rarely, if at all, on Class C's). At this point, the shore power cable is either plugged into the generator outlet or to shore power; an either/or situation. I want to be able to be plugged into shore power but have the capability for the generator to auto start if shore power cuts out.

While I have what I think I need hardware-wise (the auto switch and the generator auto start hardware), I haven't been able to find anything that addresses actual installation FOR CLASS C's (what I have found speaks to upgrades/repairs to systems already installed on a Class A). Does anyone know if this is a difficult project and/or can anyone point me to some installation resources (diagrams, videos, etc.) for my kind of CLASS C?

Seems to me like it would be a relatively straight-forward project where the electrical cable is "cut" and then re-wired to the auto-switch and the auto switch is wired to the generator and house circuits.... But as I've found out with things electrical, there is often a "surprise." So I figured better to ask before plunging in/moving forward.

Thanks, in advance, for any help the community might be able to provide! And apologies, in advance, if this is a NBD "no brainer"....
barsook8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I haven't "messed" with an auto start device but recently installed an auto transfer switch in my class C. Wasn't much of a chore to install and it is convenient to not have to move the power plug to the generator output.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have researched this project as well, you have to wire up the auto transfer switch as generator has priority ,shore power secondary, the big issue comes into play is how to start genset, only controller that I can find is the onan energy command 30, and it is suppose to be difficult to wire up, I have heard of 12 or more hours labor to run the control wires for it, onan did have a wireless remote start that they no longer make, am i missing something that is new and easy to install?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I have researched this project as well, you have to wire up the auto transfer switch as generator has priority ,shore power secondary, the big issue comes into play is how to start genset, only controller that I can find is the onan energy command 30, and it is suppose to be difficult to wire up, I have heard of 12 or more hours labor to run the control wires for it, onan did have a wireless remote start that they no longer make, am i missing something that is new and easy to install?
Winnebago pointed me to Cummins where I received the exact same answer. Way too difficult for me in time, talent, and cash for the onan command system (even if I could find the system; Cummins told me portions of the system were no longer available and the rep wouldn't comment on how to wire up a Winnebago...).

It shouldn't be this difficult; as I know you and I can't possibly be the only ones trying to figure this out....

I think we're at the same point in our travails. I thought I had the auto switch figured out (thanks for the confirmation of genset being the primary), but like you the auto start for the genset has me a bit flummoxed. And I didn't want to start cutting wires until I had a better feel for the entirety of the project.

Again, thanks for the reply. At a minimum, at least I know I'm on the right track with my research....
Old 10-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I haven't "messed" with an auto start device but recently installed an auto transfer switch in my class C. Wasn't much of a chore to install and it is convenient to not have to move the power plug to the generator output.
Thanks for the reply. I think I've got the auto switch figured out, but without being able to wire in the genset auto start it's not worth getting started (at least, at this point).

Again, thanks!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I made my own transfer switch, becasue I can and wanted it specific..

I plan on adding to it the auto start feature.. I have an onan 4000MQ..in my older Minnie..

I know you are asking for a plug and play but it would take some doing...

The hard part is tying into the ONAN, Newer onans are a bit more microprocessor controled and you are at their mercy..

My 4000 and some others can be done with basic relays and time delays..
the inside start circuit can get used and AC voltage reference once started can trigger a time delay to pop the transfer relay to ON,, the tricky part is that time delay , If you have the AC or a heater Running on shore and it drops, trigering the genny to start,, Enough ramp up time is needed for a full power surge especially on the AC compressor,,
That part worries me..

I also want to add the genny start when batteries go low......

My enclosed equipment trailer has an auto tranfer , I leave inverter running and if genny or shore dies it is instant slap on, my computer and light barely dim... But it is a lower load,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #7

A store bought auto transfer switch has a 30 second delay, before switching to generator, built in to it, so that's not an issue.

Haven't researched auto start devices but found this.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Shore.../spg-gaslp.htm
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did a bunch of digging today on the internet, ok we all k ow that we have to install a auto transfer switch, well I have found the solution for auto generator start if the shore power drops out.

Automatic Generator Start System – The ShorePower Monitor – RV Automations
https://rvautomations.com/automatic-...-start-system/

Even has a video how to install on a onan gas gensets
Old 10-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Did a bunch of digging today on the internet, ok we all k ow that we have to install a auto transfer switch, well I have found the solution for auto generator start if the shore power drops out.

Automatic Generator Start System – The ShorePower Monitor – RV Automations
https://rvautomations.com/automatic-...-start-system/

Even has a video how to install on a onan gas gensets
In fact, just bought this. Having looked over the wiring diagram it still seems like some questions are unanswered. Will have to look longer/harder and see if it makes sense.

The only video I found on the site was just a demo; not an install video. Will go back and check again....

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A store bought auto transfer switch has a 30 second delay, before switching to generator, built in to it, so that's not an issue.

Haven't researched auto start devices but found this.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Shore.../spg-gaslp.htm
Just bought this earlier today at the link shown in post #8. I'm still a bit confused, but we'll see.... Winnebago, IIRC correctly, told me that there were some issues tying into house power (which has also left me confused).

But at least it seems I may be on the right path....

Again, thanks.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Up at the top when you open the link, there is a install video for a onan 5500 which is the same ( wire wise) as the 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by barsook8 View Post
In fact, just bought this. Having looked over the wiring diagram it still seems like some questions are unanswered. Will have to look longer/harder and see if it makes sense.

The only video I found on the site was just a demo; not an install video. Will go back and check again....

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will it work with QuietDiesel 3.2

I'd like to install the Shore Power Monitor / Auto Start system on my coach but I question if it will work with my ONAN QuietDiesel 3.2 generator.

On my generator, the operator must press the OFF/Panel Power switch BEFORE the START switch is enabled. Powering the panel also starts the fuel pump to prime the system and powers the pre-heater if required. Once the power up process is complete, then, and ONLY then can the generator be started by pressing the START button. Pressing the START button while the panel is off has no effect.

I doubt that making a direct connection to the start line will start the generator. I sent the Shore Power Monitor manufacturer a email asking this question. I'll report back if I get a reply.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reply from RV Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I'd like to install the Shore Power Monitor / Auto Start system on my coach but I question if it will work with my ONAN QuietDiesel 3.2 generator.

On my generator, the operator must press the OFF/Panel Power switch BEFORE the START switch is enabled. Powering the panel also starts the fuel pump to prime the system and powers the pre-heater if required. Once the power up process is complete, then, and ONLY then can the generator be started by pressing the START button. Pressing the START button while the panel is off has no effect.

I doubt that making a direct connection to the start line will start the generator. I sent the Shore Power Monitor manufacturer a email asking this question. I'll report back if I get a reply.
Here is the reply I got from Ray Roman at RVAutomation.

Thanks for your inquiry. To be quite honest we had one client with the same generator as yours. The exact same challenge you describe happened. Even though our unit can start the gen-set, due to how the panel interacts with the generator we are unable to read a "run" signal. This causes our unit to send another start signal even though the generator might already be running.

As much as we would love for you to order one, I suggest you hold off until we can find a solution. It will be probably sometime next year before we find a solution if we can find one at all.

So, this solution won't for my generator. Too bad because it looks like a nice, simple and inexpensive way to include an emergency autostart!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post

Started some research on the start wiring of units like yours... URGH

It is not impossible with some proper circuits...relays etc...

I built a remote start for china knock off generatirs, with delays, temp readers for choke, servo actuator etc using an ardunio board....
Problem is I am not the best at it... would love to R&D some more if i had time..

I am sure their are some units out there that can work, pricey probably and not plug and play...

I hope they can mod there unit...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, generator, install, switch