Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #1

Question Class C Inspection - NY DMV??

I purchased a used Class C (32' 2022 Sunseeker) in NJ a few months ago, and am registered in NY. I'm trying to figure out where and what kind of NY DMV inspection I need...

I'm not in a rush as I'm not too worried about getting stopped in NY state for the inspection in particular, and it's got a valid inspection sticker from NJ through at least 2024 (maybe 26? I don't remember, but that's neither here nor there...). But, NY requires an annual inspection in order to renew registration. So I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row here.

First, I'm not sure what weight I'm supposed to be looking at! Forest River's documentation indicates a GVWR of 14,500lb. My actual NY registration document says my weight is 8,000lb.

I've attached NY DMV's current guidelines (Form VS-77) which say:
Quote:
The maximum gross weight (MGW) is the weight of the vehicle, as indicated on some vehicle registration certificates.

This form then breaks down the inspection categories, with any non-trailer passenger vehicle carrying 15 or less people, and under 10,001 pounds is treated the same. So based on this (and my reg saying I'm only 8,000lb), it looks like I only need the same ol' inspection on this MH as I need on my Toyota Camry? (Assuming the inspection shop can handle the size - which it seems a lot can't!)

The next category is for 10,000-18,001 pounds and essentially looks to be the same thing as the lighter category, but the shop gets to charge more $$.

I called a few heavy truck inspection places in the area, all of which sounded pretty confused why I was asking about RV inspection...

What do you other NY Class C-ers do for inspection??

If I do need a specific kind of inspection, does anyone have recommendations in the Orange County area? We store the MH in Sussex, NJ just over the border.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vs77.pdf (44.3 KB, 23 views)
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #2

I took my E450 14,500 lb chassis, class A, Axis to a tire shop for tires and NY State Inspection.

They went by GVWR and the slip says 10,000 to 18,000 weight and it cost $26.

I only got it inspected because NYDMV requires a current State inspection to renew the 2 year registration.
The first 1 1/2 years it wasn't inspected but much of my use is outside NY state and like you said, whos looking.
Before that it was registered in FL but it cost 4 times as much a year to insure it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #3

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'll try looking for one of those large tire shops and see if they'll take care of it.

Also I'm kind of surprised FL insurance was more expensive!
Old 12-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #4

If registered in NY you should have a 10 day pd to get inspection.
Inspection from an out of state previous registration is not valid in NY.
If you are not worried about being stopped because you are out of state any not returning soon that's one thing. If you operate in NY and counting on NJ inspection on NY registered vehicle you are likely to be disappointed.

Re weight.... seems like there is an error on NY registration???
You need to find the right answer and decide whether to get it corrected or ignore it until something happens where it us questioned.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #5

Yes, I'll be going out of state for Christmas week and then it'll be parked (storage in NJ) until ~March/April. Between Jan and then I'm planning on getting the inspection. My 10 day extension lapsed a while back ... I believe I can get another extension from NY DMV but it won't set "foot" in NY state until spring when I travel to the inspection station.

As far as the weight on the registration goes ... unless it comes up at the inspection or registration renewal, I'm not going to chase it. NY's definitions use "MGW" or maximum gross weight, which it explicitly says is different from the "designed carrying capacity of the vehicle" for determining inspection categories. I'll deal with it if/when it becomes an issue down the road. I understand that these things need to be written the way they are because it's law, but it's still kind of frustratingly confusing for non-lawyers...
Old 12-08-2022, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience! I'll try looking for one of those large tire shops and see if they'll take care of it.

Also I'm kind of surprised FL insurance was more expensive!
Coastal Florida has hurricanes, central NY, north of Syracuse doesn't.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c