Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

Class C Kayak hauling

If you have a 11 ' 0" high Class C , how many of you have carried a Kayak on top ? or is that a problem under America's bridges ?

( Kayak adds at least another foot ht. X 15' L )

--- or ---
Possibly carried instead on the Class C's right side ?
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The problem with carrying a kayak on top is finding something secure to attach the kayak to. The side of the motorhome is even worse.

You can get a shorter kayak and attach one to the rear ladder.

I tow my Jeep behind the motorhome with a regular Yakima kayak rack but even then you have to be careful of crosswinds. My son had the wind bend his roof rack in Nebraska when he was carrying his kayak with a Thule rack that held the kayak on its side.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

We also carry 2 kayaks on the roof top of our Samurai Toad on " J" kayak carriers .

I load them upside down , for a couple reasons . One being with the cockpit of the kayak facing down it won't collect rain , the second is the bottom of the kayak is smooth so they don't catch the wind and are more aerodynamic .

There is a rack that fits into the hitch receiver on the back of a MH. It stores the kayaks vertically and still allows for towing .

We seriously looked at them , but we decided we're going to have a Toad , so might as well put them on top of it .
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #4

I had a trailer made for my Hobie PA14 fishing kayak and a Yamaha scooter. The Hobie is just too heavy and I’m too old lol. Plus I can carry a bunch of extra gear with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	311117
Old 12-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

If you are open to something new, look into Alpacka packrafts. <10 lbs, fold up to the size of a suitcase, and are made in USA!
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
If you are open to something new, look into Alpacka packrafts. <10 lbs, fold up to the size of a suitcase, and are made in USA!
Thanks , these would definitely solve the transportation hassles of a normal rigid kayak . I had a yellow rubber raft when I was a kid - it went bad due to it just being folded up in storage . I wonder if this has better material to prevent "being folded" damage ?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
Thanks , these would definitely solve the transportation hassles of a normal rigid kayak . I had a yellow rubber raft when I was a kid - it went bad due to it just being folded up in storage . I wonder if this has better material to prevent "being folded" damage ?
Way better. We have had ours for two years. Have used them about 15 times. As long as you dry them before you put them away, no problems.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #8

My plan is to build two T-Bars for front and rear on my Jeep tow'd that will plug into the front and rear 2" receiver boxes on the Jeep's bumpers. The Yak or Canoe will then be put on the T-Bars and secured. When not needed the T-Bars will be removed from the Jeep. Design of T-Bars will be as light and simple as possible, interchangeable front and rear, and to not interfere with the tow bar also mounted to the front bumper.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
But boy are they expensive!!!!
Look great need to find cheaper mfg. would be much easygoing than lifting my yak onto Jeep. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 12-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
But boy are they expensive!!!!
Look great need to find cheaper mfg. would be much easygoing than lifting my yak onto Jeep. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Found these , sleeker design & are cheaper , on e-bay : ( made in India though so ???)

Intex 68305EP Challenger K1 Inflatable Kayak

Intex Challenger K2 Inflatable Kayak
Old 12-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #11

I had an Intex Challenger for about seven years. Pretty good little boat, and never gave me any problems. It was still good when I sold it.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #12

After lots of consideration we finally settled on an Advanced Elements AE1007E inflatable kayak. Tracks great, very stable, can be setup for 1 or 2 people and room for our Labrador too! Deflates into a carrying bag that’s not exactly small, but fits easily in the basement of our class A.

Just thought I’d mention it for you to consider. Have fun!
Attached Images

Twolanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolanes View Post
After lots of consideration we finally settled on an Advanced Elements AE1007E inflatable kayak. Tracks great, very stable, can be setup for 1 or 2 people and room for our Labrador too! Deflates into a carrying bag that’s not exactly small, but fits easily in the basement of our class A.

Just thought I’d mention it for you to consider. Have fun!
Nice sleek design , lots of great reviews , I saved a link for the future . ( need RV first ! )
BTW , Where are they made ?
Old 12-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to have 2 FolBots. They were a fabric placed over a wood & aluminum frame. Folded into two duffle bags. They were 16'-4" and about 36" beam. Very stable and very fast on the water. Mine were made in 1964 and finally died about 8 years ago. I think a version is still made.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c