RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Class C Leaning to the Left

I bought a brand new Class C('18) and it has a noticeable lean to the left(driver's side) while unladen. It doesn't appear to get worse or better when fully loaded. I am in the process of getting someone to address and fix this problem. The dealer says it is a chassis problem and therefore the chassis manufacturer needs to repair it since it is under warranty.

I am afraid that they will try to put it back on the coach builder since they know exactly what(model and weight) is being put onto each chassis and obviously out of their control. And, in my opinion they would be right.

It's an E-350 chassis(12,500 LB. GVWR and 27'5" or so in length) and has a single slide out room for the bed aft of the dual rear driver's side wheels. I get that it puts extra weight here but I would think that during the manufacturing process this would be accounted and corrected for.

I have not yet weighed it but when I do get the chance I will post my findings. I will also post how far off of level it is as best that I am able with measurements and angles.

Has anyone had this problem and what was the solution to get it remedied? And, most importantly did it work and were you satisfied?
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

I can't help with the issue, but can tell you that mine doesn't lean. I also have the 18' 26HE. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have airbags on the rear?

The leaning side could be at 0 psi.

Post your make and model rv if you want more specific answers.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

We all need more information to go on, until you get a set of 4 corner weights it really is a guessing game.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check tire pressure first, then see if you can find a place to do 4 corner weights, measure from ground to top of wheel well opening
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:23 AM   #6

Welcome to the Forum!

We are sorry that you are having such problems with a new unit, but the lack of information makes it a guessing game.

What is the make and model of the coach?
Has air bags or supplemental suspension parts been installed.
Has anybody went under and actually looked to see if they can maybe find an issue?
Was the lean present when you did the PDI and took possession of the coach?
Are all of the tires aired properly?
What is the difference between the two sides?
Old 08-18-2018, 03:23 AM   #7

He posted an introduction in the new member checking in section:
"Scotty D here! New as of August 17, 2018. Owner of a '18 Class C Freedom Elite 26HE"
Old 08-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

The tires are all inflated properly and I have added no supplemental parts and after a "crawl under" I can find no obvious(to me) maladies.

Interestingly, I didn't notice the lean when it was parked on the sales lot. Only after I got it home did I notice it.

Until I can get someone familiar with the Ford chassis to have a look at it I won't know if it is above board. I'll keep y'all posted.

My thought is that a bigger/stronger spring on the weak side will fix it. But, then will there be handling problems? Maybe I am overthinking it.

2018 Thor Freedom Elite 26HE on a Ford E-350 chassis.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

That's definitely at the upper limit (or beyond) for a 350. I think it should have been built on the E 450. I don't see how they can blame the chassis builder. It's a Thor problem ( to me) since they're the ones who built the house on the chassis, and more than likely have too much weight on one side, compared to the other side.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

On some chassis , they will insert a shim or block under the spring to level the coach. This way the spring rate does not change and the handling will remain the same.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #11

Right!? That's what I'm thinking.

Scotty D
Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #12

Seems like it should be a simple fix, doesn't it. Which begs the question: why didn't they do it in the first place?

Scotty D
Old 08-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Not exactly the same but works on the same principal.

Close friends with a Coachmen 'A' class had the same thing with theirs, felt like it was leaning to one side. They got it checked out and confirmed so they took it back to who they bought it from.
As someone said above, they ended up adding shims to one side to level it up.(added to the spring platforms if I remember correctly?)

All good now
Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #14

My 30 ft. Class C has been “leaning” a little bit for 12 years. No problems in that time with having it aligned, nor tire wear. Drives fine and straight.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c