Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Wink Class C on Mercedes Sprinter chassis

I am looking to downsize and very interested in class C sprinter. There seems to be a wide range of prices for this type.
I've looked at Thor, Winnebago, Forest River and Entegra. These have the floor plan I like. I live in Colorado at 8000 ft. I am wondering which of these are better for colder climates
Any advice is most appreciated. Thank you!!

Also these have 4 seat belts. Is it possible to add more seat belts to the dinette? I have younger grand children that travel with me sometimes
SLVrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sprinter chassied motorhomes are all pretty similar in construction due to chassis weight limits. I think they would all be about the same although Winnebago offers tank heaters and thermal windows.

Seat belt positions are limited and adding ones are probably a poor idea. My Navion has side facing belted positions and my granddaughter will not be riding in my coach. Motorhomes in general are not all that good for kids.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Sprinter chassied motorhomes are all pretty similar in construction due to chassis weight limits. I think they would all be about the same although Winnebago offers tank heaters and thermal windows.

Seat belt positions are limited and adding ones are probably a poor idea. My Navion has side facing belted positions and my granddaughter will not be riding in my coach. Motorhomes in general are not all that good for kids.

X2 on all counts.
I don't think many of the class C (Sprinter) upfitters added a lot of insulation underneath, like some of the class A/B coaches and the "polar packages" you can get on some towables. They're pretty much open to the road and the elements underneath.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:26 AM   #4

Ours has tank heating pads, but what about the pipes? We avoid freezing temps.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #5

Our J had the heated pads & we used once or twice. They operate on 12 Volt, so can drain your batteries down Quickly, something to keep in mind if boon docking. It had the u-shaped dinette with seat belts on each section. These are not shoulder belts, were anchored to the floor.
On any Sprinter Chassis, keep cargo weight capacity in mind. Each and every one can have a different capacity & just adding in occupants' weight can quickly cut into limits.

Winnebago lists the Mercedes SPRINTER Service Centers (on-line & in their manuals). I don't know if other mfgs. do this. Anyway, they are currently showing two - one in Littleton, the other in Westminster, CO. This is something to keep in mind should you need warranty repairs &/or regular scheduled services. You can also check out the list for service centers in States you frequently travel to, or plan on visiting. In some States there are none.
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaCats View Post
Our J had the heated pads & we used once or twice. They operate on 12 Volt, so can drain your batteries down Quickly, something to keep in mind if boon docking. It had the u-shaped dinette with seat belts on each section. These are not shoulder belts, were anchored to the floor.
On any Sprinter Chassis, keep cargo weight capacity in mind. Each and every one can have a different capacity & just adding in occupants' weight can quickly cut into limits.

Winnebago lists the Mercedes SPRINTER Service Centers (on-line & in their manuals). I don't know if other mfgs. do this. Anyway, they are currently showing two - one in Littleton, the other in Westminster, CO. This is something to keep in mind should you need warranty repairs &/or regular scheduled services. You can also check out the list for service centers in States you frequently travel to, or plan on visiting. In some States there are none.
There's also Linden Automotive and Engineering in Golden, if you're looking for service in the greater Denver area.

I was surprised at how many non-MB shops there are mentioned on some of these forums. Not all get great reviews, but there are plenty of them out there. There's a fairly comprehensive list over on Sprinter Source dot com, I believe?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Tank heaters- Normally used when the tank is not enclosed. (exposed to the elements). Enclosed tanks are heated by ducted air from the propane furnace. Keeping RV heated even when not occupied protects the tanks and internal plumbing and stored food. Usually 50 deg. setting on furnace protects into low 20's. below that a 100 watt light bulb in the tanks compartment works.

Downsizing this is probably not news...

I downsized from 36ft Dp to Sprinter based RV, 4 years and 45,000 miles it was a good move.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I believe that since Freightliner is owned by Mercedes Benz and markets Freightliner Sprinter vans. That they can do maintenance on any Sprinter chassis.
I had a local Freightliner dealer to the 20K mile oil change, etc. and I was able to make an appointment over the phone and they had a waiting room where ai could wait on it.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
I believe that since Freightliner is owned by Mercedes Benz and markets Freightliner Sprinter vans. That they can do maintenance on any Sprinter chassis.
I had a local Freightliner dealer to the 20K mile oil change, etc. and I was able to make an appointment over the phone and they had a waiting room where ai could wait on it.
Understand all of that and agree that Freightliner should be able to service MB Sprinter chassis. Next time you're in Albuquerque stop at the Freightliner dealer located as follows

LONESTAR TRUCK GROUP ALBUQUERQUE

12901 I-40 WEST FRONTAGE ROAD, ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87121

and ask them to change your oil. I did and they told me they didn't have the diagnostic tools or some such. Just sayin'.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVrver View Post
I am looking to downsize and very interested in class C sprinter. There seems to be a wide range of prices for this type.
I've looked at Thor, Winnebago, Forest River and Entegra. These have the floor plan I like. I live in Colorado at 8000 ft. I am wondering which of these are better for colder climates
Any advice is most appreciated. Thank you!!

Also these have 4 seat belts. Is it possible to add more seat belts to the dinette? I have younger grand children that travel with me sometimes
Keep in mind at higher altitude, you will want a compressor driven fridge and freezer as they will be more efficient.
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

The first thing to consider is OCCC. Some have 1200. Some have 660. Keep I’m mind you and your passengers weight, then water, food, stuff. Winnebago builds using light cabinets so they may be the best. Camping in winter you have a propane furnace that keeps the tanks above freezing. Waste tank heaters, the compressor refrigerator is better than the propane absorbing. Diesel generator is better for boondocks.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Understand all of that and agree that Freightliner should be able to service MB Sprinter chassis. ........

and ask them to change your oil. I did and they told me they didn't have the diagnostic tools or some such. Just sayin'.
Depends on the shop. Christopher Trucks, Freightliner shop in Greenville,SC has 2 locations, one is big trucks sales & service, and the other in Piedmont does OTR and Sprinter service and repair. I've had routine and warranty repair done there. Sprinter diagnostics are complicated and some parts have to be logged in to the on board computer to operate. Service completion also has to be entered to the computer.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
Actually, this is not the case as only Mercedes approved Freightliner facilities can provide all maintenance on Sprinters. Here, in Redmond, Or, Freightiner will not work on Sprinters as I called last year when I had one. Yes ay apply more to warranty issues, but best to call ahead, and know for sure, based on your route.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #14

Actually not that similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

There is a big difference in quality between Sprinter chassis MH’s. My SO and I drove, rented and researched a number of manufactures. We purchased a Leisure Travel Unity Murphy Bed, the drive stability, fit & finish are far superiour than many of the larger better known manufacturers.

Before allowing kids or anyone to ride in the coach while underway, I suggest you really understand how/if the seatbelts are attached to chassis. And how protected those seats are. Even the best coaches are mostly wood in the house!
chanson100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, class c