Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencho View Post
Hello, I am wandering what is better for first timer- class c or travel trailer and truck. I will appreciate your input before I decide what to buy. We like to travel and close to retirement.
Apologies in advance for the long post!

We are fairly new to RV'ing, having started in June 2019. After convincing myself we must have a drive-able (I didn't want to back up a trailer), we purchased a brand new, almost 25' Winnebago Class-C with a bedroom slide. Easy to drive and park but still sort of cumbersome to drive around and sightsee in. We had a few decent weekend trips and then took a trip back home to Ohio from Arizona. As this was an extended journey, we immediately noticed the lack of space in this particular Class-C, especially during evening indoor time. There was nowhere to sit except for the banquette, and that got old really fast. We did not pull a toad either, so again we were stuck driving the RV around town, as it was our only vehicle.

Soon after our return to AZ we took a huge hit, traded in the Class-C and bought a 33' travel trailer and truck to replace it. This simplified things (once I learned to handle it decently) and now we have a vehicle to travel around in after we unhook. Our TT has 3 slides (two opposing), a couple of nice recliners, a loveseat and a 4 seat dinette. Plenty of room for a retired couple (and our 2 small dogs) to take extended trips in.

We are much happier in our TT. However, I would say in our circumstance, purchasing a larger (31'-34') Class-C, coupled with pulling a toad, may have satisfied our needs as well....but would miss those opposing slides!

I have never owned a Class-A, but were I to do it again I would not rule out a a Class-A gasser in the 36' range as well (along with a toad, of course). At the time of our initial purchase, as an RV newbie, Class-A's seemed very intimidating to me. I would personally go with gas over diesel as from what I've gleaned on the forums during my daily reading over the last 2 years....those diesels ain't cheap to operate and/or repair. That is just a consideration for me, YMMV.

So, the moral to my story is to really think hard about how much being comfortable means to you. If you don't mind driving 6-7 hours and then sitting at a cramped kitchen table for a few hours until bed, or you plan on being outdoors until it's time to hit the sack, than my points are meaningless. They may also be meaningless if you plan to do no more than take occasional weekend trips.

For us, I guess we like more of the comforts of home (glamping) when we are on the road.

A final note: Don't be like me and make certain to do your due diligence if going the truck/trailer route. Buy (more than) ENOUGH truck to do the job. The TT we purchased is in the '1/2 ton towable' family so I purchased a stout 1/2 ton truck to tow it with, trusting in both the RV and truck salesman not to steer me wrong. Unfortunately I learned after the fact that '1/2 ton towable' and advertised 12,700 lb 1/2 ton truck towing capacities are 95% marketing BS. Read the many 'can I tow this?' posts and learn how to calculate tow limits. We were right at the payload/rear axle limit with our rig, so prior to heading across country for the second time, we took another bath and traded the 1/2 ton in on a 1 ton - noticed I skipped going 3/4. As it's common to upgrade in trailer size, always buy a truck thinking one trailer ahead.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 05:48 PM   #30

Seems to be 3 solutions to questions like these.

Get a small B-B+ motorhome. Easy to drive with no toad needed. Easier to unhook one of these at a campsite than unhooking a toad. Downside seems to be living with a wet bath.

Get a Small (22-25') Class C with big slide. Tons more room and larger fresh and waste tanks. Easy to drive, but still a bit clumbsy driving into town. They have larger fuel tanks (55 Gallon) and ducted AC/Heat systems. Can pull a toad up to 8,000 lbs or so, but not necessary for many camping trips. Storage, both inside and outside, are much larger than most B's. These also have the amazingly versitile "GrandMa's Attic for handy inside storage plus easily set up to sleep a couple.

Get a much larger (+30') Class C or Class A. Can easily tow a toad, but worse gas mileage and they tend to be an extra hassle. Can't back up without unhooking toad. Lots of room inside and comfy. Walk around bedrooms, larger fridges and perhaps even a recliner. Won't fit into many campsites, so your options might be limited on where you can stay.

Each of these choices have their own personalities. Much will depend on the type of traveling and camping you plan to do.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #31

We started off with a 1992 Prowler 5th wheel in 2011. Renovated the interior. Sold it a year later and upgraded to a 36ft challenger 5th wheel with 3 slides. Then 2 pull behinds, a 22ft surveyor, then last to a 36ft connect. With 3 dogs, it was a pain to put them in the backseat of the pickup, so we upgraded to a 2017 C Class 32ft Four Winds. we made 2 trips but it was a pain to unhook everything for day trips. Bought a used 2 door wrangler to tow behind. 1st trip is Friday. Love having the C Class. Much more comfortable than driving the pickup, and more convenient to get drinks, use restroom, etc.
kmetz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #32

I was totally new to the RV life until about 3 years ago. Wife recalled her dad having a trailer, and will I must have heard how many times she didn’t care for it, but out of the blue SHE decided that having one would be a good idea. In fact, her brothers cornered me and asked me how I convinced her to go along with such a purchase. Who knew?

Anyway, we decided one afternoon to go looking at an RV show. She was now hooked with taking your own bedroom, bath and kitchen along with you on a trip. We followed up a few weeks later, visiting two of the local shops to see what they had. A Class C caught her eye, and she asked why don’t we just go with one vehicle (as I was all set for a 5’er and a new truck as I didn’t have one). Thinking it over, and having looked at new dually prices, I was ok with that approach as it would likely save me about $40K going with new.

So...we went with a 32 ft Class C with bunks. I have the Entegra Odyssey 31L, so with the queen in the back, bunk beds, and bed over the cab we’re set no matter how many of the kids elect to join us. Still one at home, but the others have met up with us on the road to enjoy WDW, Hilton Head, etc. The bunks are great for carrying clothes, purchases along the way, etc. if not used, and the configuration gives us 3 separate areas in a Class C, which is nice when my daughter has homework or I have to take a call (doors on both sides of the bunk/bath area).

Thought about the toad, but so far we’ve been able to grab Ubers or Lyfts when needed. Some times it take a tad longer, but we’re on vacation so what the hey. I figure the savings in tow set up and another vehicle will greatly offset any of the ride costs, but that’s just me.

As said above, it’s all a personal decision , but good to ask what folks have considered. Been looking at those Super C’s, though
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #33

I would recommend renting a class C for a weekend or longer to try it out. We started out 10 years ago with a 1993 Prowler 5th wheel. after a year of traveling and loving it we upgraded to a 36ft challenger 5th wheel, then downsized to a 25ft Forest River Surveyor, then upsized to a 36ft connect. Finally settled on a 32ft Four Winds Class C last July. Just finished our 4th trip with it, and wish we had gone with the C class a long time ago. Tows our jeep wrangler like it's not even there, and it's nice having the extra room on the road for the dogs, rather than them being cramped in the backseat of the pickup. Setting up when arriving and breaking down to depart is a breeze. Connect electric, water, and sewer, press a few buttons, put up privacy curtain on the cab, and we're done!
kmetz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:28 PM   #34

I originally had a trailer, partly because I already had a pickup and partly because we parked the trailer at a seasonal campground for about 8 years. Also couldn't store an RV at home at the time. Time goes on, traded the pickup in for a hybrid car (much happier driving that on a daily basis), so got rid of the trailer. Also moved into a smaller house in the country side with more property and the ability to store an RV.

So if we wanted to get back into it, I'd either have to get a dedicated pickup truck and new trailer, or go with something like a Class C. We are opting for the Class C, partly because it seems like it would be easier to get going (pack some food and suitcase, turn a key and go). And because we want to do some traveling instead of the seasonal site.

What I noticed though is the lack of options in Class C's. There are many more models and floor plans with trailers. Plus trailers are cheaper (although if you need to buy a truck to pull it then it comes out about the same). But you can keep the same truck and trade the trailer in periodically if your needs change. The main reason for not getting a truck and trailer is my S.O. can't travel in a pickup that well. So a Class C it is if we are going to go on any extended trips.

As for getting around, well either we will be going to local RV resorts or state parks to stay for 3-4 day weekends, where we will be staying put. Or if we go to a destination, will rent a car for a few days while we are there.

Specifically we are looking at the Entegra Odyssey line. I'm leaning towards the 31F, removing the bunk beds and making that area an extra room (office for when I get work calls, or a craft room for the S.O.) Main reason for the Entegra is I haven't read many horror stories on this model, and it seems to be one that is used by RV rental companies quite a bit.
derekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #35

Thank you everyone for the reply . I came across to 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and did buy it. Now I am remodeling the interior because DW wants different features. Still learning about class A DP . Any advice will be appreciated.
gencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #36

Congratulations! Safe travels.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:52 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a nearly endless list of RVs to select from and for good reasons. People have very different needs, desires, experiences and budgets. Key is to always remember everything about RVs is a trade off.

For us we first bought an Excel 32 ft 5th wheeler and use a RAM 3500 diesel to tow it with, we still have and fits some needs very well. But we also wanted something much smaller we could use for touring. To me this means spending most days on the move and not very multiple nights at any single location. We bought a Coach House 272XL on a Ford E 450 chassis with the V-10 engine. This RV seems to meet those needs very well. We still have and use both RVs for different kinds of trips.

Other posts have already covered most other comments I'd make and I'll leave it at that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:05 PM   #38

My reply is simple and from experience. It all depends on how you use it. It you plan on going out and only stopping for a night or two before hitting the road again like I do, I would get the best motor home I could afford. The vacation starts once you pull out of the drive.
If you plan on staying for a week or two in one spot the travel trailer or fifth wheel might be best suited for you. Personally I went from a high end 45 foot toy hauler to a 43foot diesel pusher. I have no regrets on this purchase and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I sold my toy hauler after one year and went to closing with 25k to get rid of it. Good luck!
Flying K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #39

A lot of the decision is determined if you are going to drive a lot or park a lot.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #40

My experience is that a small bumper pull TT is just as easy as a MH with flat tow Toad. With kids the MH/toad worked best. Now retired. We usually boondock, and now the small TT fits our needs well, but we normally are camped in one spot for 3 or more nights. We don’t like RVing when you don’t have a means of transportation when you’re camped or on hookups. Our experience was also that motorhomes are much more expensive to maintain and operate, and are much more likely to have failures that keep you off the road. I used to be able to fix everything on our MH. Nowadays the complexity of a newer MH rules that out. We can also fit into virtually any campground including state and natl forests, and county or municipal. But for sheer comfort, nothing beats a 32ft or larger MH.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencho View Post
Thank you everyone for the reply . I came across to 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and did buy it. Now I am remodeling the interior because DW wants different features. Still learning about class A DP . Any advice will be appreciated.
Wow, you went right to the top of the chart with that decision. What model and length did you get?
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, trailer, travel, travel trailer