Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

Class C or Truck Camper?

The wife and I are looking to get into some sort of RV soon. I like the idea and looks of the 4x4 sprinter vans like Outside Van, Sportsmobile, Winnie 170x, etc. but she prefers a Class C at minimum for a number of reasons. My father in law owns an RV repair shop, so we have a really good outlet for maintenance, repairs.

My issue now, is I don't know if I should be looking at Class C or truck campers. This is what I'm looking for:

- room to sleep 3
- shower
- toilet
- queen bed or bigger
- fridge
- stove
- microwave

I know that's basically all of the standard stuff, but the caveat is I want something I can take to the beach, light off-roading, camping, etc., and not worry about ground clearance, mud, etc.

I want to stay under $120k or less if possible. Does it make sense to look for an affordable Class C on a 3500 chassis and upgrade suspension/tires or should I really be looking for a truck camper? (I would have to buy a truck also)
wannasprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well my friend all I can tell you is:

If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.

So, from where I sit, the class C sounds like a great idea.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Well my friend all I can tell you is:

If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.

So, from where I sit, the class C sounds like a great idea.
That's no lie
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannasprint View Post
That's no lie
And IF Grandma is mad back away slowly
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

We love our class c 2013 Thor Citation 24SR! Plenty of room for three. Plus you get the MB 3.0 Diesel engine that gets 16mpg!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BENZ Life View Post
We love our class c 2013 Thor Citation 24SR! Plenty of room for three. Plus you get the MB 3.0 Diesel engine that gets 16mpg!
Do you know if upgrading the suspension for more ground clearance and adding more aggressive tires would be as simple as it seems?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #7

Can't imagine that it would be that complicated. It is on a sprinter chassis.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

I'll throw a couple of cents at this question..

1. First responder was 100% corect
2. I've had a f350 4x4 with a viking pop up camper in back. Thought like you do, light off road . Worked ok. After awhile the off road stuff started to break down the seams in the camper, torque the frame as the truck bed flexed, also top heavy and tall. With flexing comes leaks.. don't care who the manufacture. My crew are off roaders. Only camper I've seen consistently take the abuse is a four wheel grandby. It's spartan. Friends have had them all, Outback, Lance, a host. . A crank up is definitely better off road if u go this route.
3. The pass thru of a class c to the bathroom is very convenient. Same for food. Generator, more tank capacity.
4. Handling of a class c better than any camper especially in wind, add strong winds to windy road with trucks on it...Fun times !
5. Strongest box for off roading I've seen are vans. I have seen road trek vans 4x4, kinda rare, but they could take it, not too high, or something similar.
6. Sprinter stuff is fine.. until it isn't and needs repairs. Diesel repairs of friends injectors etc got spendy. More cost than the savings in mileage. Ford class c v10 stuff can be fixed at any ford dealer.

You could get a van class b or small C and add a locking differential ..
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigham View Post
1. First responder was 100% corect
2. I've had a f350 4x4 with a viking pop up camper in back. Thought like you do, light off road . Worked ok. After awhile the off road stuff started to break down the seams in the camper, torque the frame as the truck bed flexed, also top heavy and tall. With flexing comes leaks.. don't care who the manufacture. My crew are off roaders. Only camper I've seen consistently take the abuse is a four wheel grandby. It's spartan. Friends have had them all, Outback, Lance, a host. . A crank up is definitely better off road if u go this route.
3. The pass thru of a class c to the bathroom is very convenient. Same for food. Generator, more tank capacity.
4. Handling of a class c better than any camper especially in wind, add strong winds to windy road with trucks on it...Fun times !
5. Strongest box for off roading I've seen are vans. I have seen road trek vans 4x4, kinda rare, but they could take it, not too high, or something similar.
6. Sprinter stuff is fine.. until it isn't and needs repairs. Diesel repairs of friends injectors etc got spendy. More cost than the savings in mileage. Ford class c v10 stuff can be fixed at any ford dealer.

You could get a van class b or small C and add a locking differential ..
Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow we're going to see some in person, both Class B and Class C. I want to look at the Galleria's to see how much room is in there for us, and then some of the Coachmen.

It's too bad that a custom F-450 type chassis with a pass through is so expensive.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

Good luck

Been my experience when dealing with rv's..KISS...keep it simple, stupid..

I've had complex diesel problems with my large 40 ft funmover, campers leak, engines need repairs on gassers as well, and sometimes with tools you don't have. More easy someone can service what you can't away from home the better .
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Our class C is on a 4500 chassis.

Due to the lower GVWR and GCWR I would never consider a 3500 or 350 chassis. It is easy to exceed capacity.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #12

Co-worker has a Chinook B+ on a Ford chassis with a V-10, and has a Quigly 4wd conversion. He picked it up for a song, because it had a lot of problems, and he has been fixing and flipping RV's for quite a while, but this was his keeper. He is headed out to Utah as I write this.

Truck camper seems neat, but has a very tiny wet bath. You are really jammed. Another co-worker had one he toted on his long bed Dodge 3500 4 dr. Lots of truck and it traveled well, he used it because he pulled a boat. Quit using the boat, so he sold the slide in and bought a 30 ft Avion TT. They liked the truck camper but it was a pain to deal with loading and unloading at campgrounds, etc.

Charles
Old 07-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Co-worker has a Chinook B+ on a Ford chassis with a V-10, and has a Quigly 4wd conversion. He picked it up for a song, because it had a lot of problems, and he has been fixing and flipping RV's for quite a while, but this was his keeper. He is headed out to Utah as I write this.

Truck camper seems neat, but has a very tiny wet bath. You are really jammed. Another co-worker had one he toted on his long bed Dodge 3500 4 dr. Lots of truck and it traveled well, he used it because he pulled a boat. Quit using the boat, so he sold the slide in and bought a 30 ft Avion TT. They liked the truck camper but it was a pain to deal with loading and unloading at campgrounds, etc.

Charles
Some of these custom flat bed campers seems to have rather spacious bathrooms.

I went to look at some RVs this afternoon. I was rather disappointed. All of the Class B sprinters have really nice finishes on the interior, but they are just too small for my wife and daughter. I would love on on my own, but that's not the case.

All of the class Cs were disappointing too. They are bigger on the exterior than I would really prefer, and the interiors were just ugly dated, and cheap looking. Keep in mind, I was only looking at the Coachmen they had in stock (no disrespect to anyone who owns a coachmen).

I really am starting to like the idea of buying a luxurious 3500 flatbed, and having a spacious camper. Just not sure anymore at this point.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #14

This may also be too small but closer to what you may be looking for.
I wanted one of the Tigers for a long time but got a good price on a B+.
A Breed Apart - Tiger Adventure Vehicles

Tags
class c