Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #1

Class-C "portable satellite' wiring doesn't support Dish Tail Gater

Anyone experienced a Dish TailGater or other small portable dish make grinding noise and never find satellites?

On my Itasca Cambria motorhome it's wired for both cable and portable satellite dish with jacks from upper cabinet to outside electrical compartment. When I use 25' cable that came with Dish from dish to outside jack on MH labeled portable sat dish, it makes a grinding noise and eventually reports total signal loss.
From some You Tube vids I tried same cable straight from Dish Wally receiver out door to dish and works perfect.
I'm reading the additional motor home wiring introduces extra impeadence causing sat signal to be saturated or not functional?

Anyone encounter this? Other new cables provide same results. There is no power booster in MH sat wiring.

Is there any sort of filter or ? I can buy
Tried_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
YC1

It is not a filter issue and may be a simple loose connection along the way or if using some sort of physical switch they can cause all kinds of problems.

Someone with your specific setup may come along and give better advice as to where and how the cables are run.

If you know how to use an ohmmeter disconnect the ends of the coax cables and see if there is a short between the center and outside shield conductor.

IF there is not a short, put one on either end using an alligator clip lead or stuff some tinfoil into it. Be sure you get it all out of course. This short should show up on the other end of the coax.

If you do not see the short with the meter after putting a short on the cable then the cable is (Open) somewhere.

Tracking down the path of these cables can be a nightmare and in some cases you may even have to abandon the coax and run a new one which can be a nightmare or sometimes much easier because no one says you have to bring it in the same way the factory does. Get creative.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you are using the correct cable. Sometimes they are labeled backwards. Does the cable connection work? Home Depot sells a cable tracer / tester.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #4

Yes. Ours did that and I sent it for warranty repair and they sent a new one back. Sometimes the new one did the same thing, I took off the cover and watched it. The dish was trying to go below the horizon and the gears were slipping. I forced it to the approximate position I thought it should be and it continued to search and found the satellite. I have done this twice to get it to work. We rarely use it because it is not dependable.

Not sure this was the correct thing to do, but it worked .

When traveling the dish rides in in the second basement storage area behind the right front wheel. Perhaps the vibration caused the dish to move around.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #5

Fish Tailgator Grinding

Grinding Dish, doesn’t sound normal. I have a tailgater on my view and it is permanently mounted on the roof. When it’s seeking a satellite it hums back-and-forth for about five minutes but does not grind. I would check with Dish, give their Customer Support a call they’ll tell you what to do with it.
Mpowers112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
YC1

Question for the tail gate users.

Does the equipment inside send voltage out through the coax? The Direct TV systems does so one would not need to ohm the cable out unless that voltage is not on the coax end.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #7

Grind noise is (NTF) no trouble found

So I called Dish and got the usual runaround for over a hour, so I found a number to Winguard support and called them.

As suspected each barrel connection, each F type connector and each length of RG59 coax creates more resistance/impedance to the dish logic which it can't handle. And through the MH I counted 7 connectors and 3 lengths of RG59.

It's called "Tailgater" for a reason- to be set on the ground and plugged directly into the receiver. "I need to step up and spend more than $300 and get the mounted dish/reflector".

Instead I'll probably cut the cord and if needed go with external cell antenna to a router/hotspot/WIFI device and stream from direct TV/Stream.

It's ironic that TV is one of the things we go to get away from...
Thanks
Tried_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite, wiring