Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Class C Questions

I have been researching a couple years on which motorhome I want to travel in after I retire in 2 more years. I read all about the Ford F53 chassis sway and cheap handling fix with sumo springs etc. Know slot about the diesel over gas and have almost made up my mind on a class a. Then wouldn't you know it, DW walked into a Concord about 31 foot and asked why don't we get one vice class a?
Back to researching class c towing 2dr Jeep Wrangler.
I assume the longer a class c would have to look at the difference in wheel length ratio for sway. Don't really know the difference in class c chassis as far as weight capacity like the 18,000 20,000 and 22,000 pound F53. I do see 350 and 450 on the class c but don't know about the weights. Class c seems to use 16" wheels where class a is mainly 19.5 and 22.5".
We will not ever be full time but will go max 6 or 8 months on the road.
We like the split bath floorplan in class a but still looking for split in class c.
So questions:
At 31 foot does the class c have sway problems pulling a toad?
Who makes a split bath model class c at least in last 3 years?
Does the class c have swivel front seats?
Is the class c comfortable enough to travel 3-8 months at a time from Florida to west coast or Alaska?
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #2

We have a 2000, 30 ft E450 class C, and we dolly tow a small, 3,000 lb toad. When we first got it, it swayed with or without the toad. With no CHF on class Cs, I explored options.

I started by replaced the original rear, anti sway bar with a heavy duty one and replaced the front and rear anti sway control bushings with poly type. That improved the ride, so much, that I didn't do any other handling enhancements. Drives like a van.

No comments on question 2 or 3.

We traveled for 6 months, twice with no complants about comfort or space. Or home is a 35 ft boat, so we are used to smaller living.

We removed the jackknife sofa and replaced with comfortable chairs. We moved the TV from the cabover to an under cabinet mount, across from the chairs.

We explored the states East of the Mississippi from FL to WI.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

Hi Mr. Smith, I have some comments about your Class C questions but I'm wondering if it will be better and get more exposure if you asked them over in the Class C forum? Or perhaps you can get a moderator to split your opening post as all your questions about a Class C are not really on-topic here so many that can answer might not even be reading your post here in the "Toads and Motorhome Related Towing" forum.

Pertaining to sway, as twinboat has mentioned, I too believe it's a question of the motorhome itself and not if it's pulling a toad. In other words, if the rig sways without the toad, it of course will probably sway with a toad. I don't think a toad will be the sole cause for the rig sway if it's set up properly and within all weight specifications. If it does, look into making those types of suspension and handling enhancements he mentioned.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
That's funny. I am using my Nexus phone and it shows I posted in class c forum. Yes it needs to be moved.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I just looked at class c discussion and my post appears in both toads and motorhome related towing. Maybe an ADMIN can check it out.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thread has been moved from the Toad's Forum and retitled.

Thanks for contributing
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 2015 FR Sunseeker towing a 2015 Cherokee Latitude(3900#) and have had no sway-keep the rear view camera on to make sure its still there.2015 Sunseekers above 28' have a GCVW of 22000# and tow rating of 7500#. There are several floorplans with split or walkthru bath facilities. See attached http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...erbrochure.pdf
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

First, based on my research, forget the E-450 chassis on a 30+ class C, especially if you are going to tow. The OCCC or better put the "carrying cargo capacity" of a 30+ foot class C is generally terrible. If you are buying used look for the sticker, if you are buying new, the OCCC is the best kept dirty secret by the manufacturer, just say a Hail Mary.

As to the sway, it depends on the wheelbase. Generally the class "C" is not as high up as a class "A" which helps with cross winds. The larger the wheelbase is, the less rear overhang (Rear wheels to end of coach) you will have and the better the ride. It does make turning around a tad more difficult but it is in MHO worth it.

Class C also have many other benefits which I will not go into here, probably said too much as it is

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
First, based on my research, forget the E-450 chassis on a 30+ class C, especially if you are going to tow. The OCCC or better put the "carrying cargo capacity" of a 30+ foot class C is generally terrible. If you are buying used look for the sticker, if you are buying new, the OCCC is the best kept dirty secret by the manufacturer, just say a Hail Mary.

As to the sway, it depends on the wheelbase. Generally the class "C" is not as high up as a class "A" which helps with cross winds. The larger the wheelbase is, the less rear overhang (Rear wheels to end of coach) you will have and the better the ride. It does make turning around a tad more difficult but it is in MHO worth it.

Class C also have many other benefits which I will not go into here, probably said too much as it is
I have a 2014 32 1/2'MH, built on a 2013 Ford E450. The OCCC is listed on big yellow stickers on both cab doors (hard to miss). There is an identical sticker in with all the owners manual paperwork. Older motor homes frequently had the specs buried somewhere in a cabinet or closet. Many of them close to their GVWRs (not that that some newer can't be the same way). My OCCC is 3,275#, which I know is more than many Class As.

My MH has a 220" wheel base with approximately an 11 1/2' rear overhang, from the axle to the bumper. It handles fine as is with no mods. I have not towed anything yet. The turning radius is lousy. U-turns are near impossible unless you have about 4 lanes worth of road or median to make the turn.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My 31 carries more crap than I need. Storage for 4 season clothing for two is a challenge. Towes my 4-runner just fine, am out pulling a lot of DPs on the out west mountain pass's. I did add the 5 star, a front steering stabilizer, and did the alignment recommended for the 450. Get pushed a bit sideways by the box trucks more than the bus's or Semi's but easily controlled. All in all we are happy since down sizing from 40' DP to be able to get in smaller parks.

LEN
Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Lots of good info on class c. I have been following other threads about the 450 chassis and OCCC. I will be looking at class C's and A's this weekend at Tampa comparing floorplans, cabinets, inside and outside storage. Will take lots of notes. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #12

We went through this very thing 4 years ago. I started looking at 5th wheels, but didn't want to drop 50K on a diesel truck to pull it, that I would only use when pulling the 5th. Then came the class Cs. spent a couple years looking and researching. Trying to find something that both my wife and I were happy with was a tall order. From my side, I found that many many class Cs are very close to their GVWR when they come off the line. By the time you add any options, clothes, dishes and other necessities, you will hit the GVWR before you know it. From my wife's side she didn't like the reduced foot room due to the doghouse. She also didn't like the closed in feeling of the bunk over her head.

After that last comment, I knew that she wouldn't be happy with a class C. I then turned my attention to the Class A. I looked at a bunch. We looked at a couple at an RV Show. When the DW sat in the front seat, we knew it would be a Class A. That wide open feeling. I finally settled on the Newmar Bay Star. We found a floor plan she liked, and after much looking, found one with the right interior/exterior colors. The only issue was, we are in Baltimore and it was sitting on a dealer's lot in Fort Myers, FL. We flew to Florida, bought it, and drove it home to Baltimore.

The point of all this is, take your time. Do your research. Hit the local RV Shows, and most importantly, look beyond the glitz and glitter. They are all set up with their slides out and everything set up. What will it look like closed up? Can you get to the bathroom? Can you get to the fridge. Stand in the shower. Comfortable? Do you have to climb over the bed, or do you have access to both sides.

I think you will find that you will have a more open feeling in a Class A. Also, look at what is standard .vs. optional equipment. What do you wand/need?

It's a tough decision! Good Luck.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Thank you BPoland. I have ruled out class c motorhomes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 01-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #14

OK, so what have you ruled in?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad