Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #1

Class C rain water leak-can't find where?

Well folks I have a 24' Thor Class C that I bought new only 4 years old. About 2 years ago rain started to come in under the floor (and then filling above the floor) of the front overhead bunk area. I re-caulked EVERYTHING in sight from front to rear! I also cut small 'inspection' holes in the front corners of the upper floor. While there is no more actual puddles of water visible any more, I still can see and feel definite dampness under the floor after any heavy rain. I have taken it to 2 different RV dealers to have the whole RV pressure tested, but nothing really shows up. I am at a loss now! Any thoughts on this would really be appreciated! Thanks, Greg
Greg O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

Remove the clearance light lens and inspect for a water line mark. I had that happen to a 5er once. The lens had a gasket sealing it to the base; however, the gasket leaked water into the lens. The lens filled with water until it reached the wiring hole in the cap, ran into the hole and followed the wiring down into the wall.
I solved the problem permanently by drilling a 1/8" hole in the bottom of every clearance light lens.

Hope that helps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #3

When I had similar issue it turned out to be a small leak in one of the side windows. Common sources for leaks are the top running lights and front/side windows. I took apart the front bed to insure that the area was bone dry before putting it back together - you may find some insulation in there (mine was in the nose cone) which would need to be removed/replaced.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

We had a leak right behind the front cap, dealers couldn't find it. It was where a corner trim mated to the top, the factory sealant didn't stick to the two pieces. I cleaned it all thoroughly. Then sealed it with the best sealant I could find.

Point is, look everything over carefully, if it leaks you can find it, it's up to you. You might hose down each area and see which area leaks.
Joe I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common leaks are corners/ joints UNDER metal trim, running light fixtures, window frames and CONDENSATE/ SWEATING? A PINLESS moisture meter can help on papers/ smooth walls and PIN TYPE moisture meter CAN be used on carpeted ceilings. Newer models I see are Combo PIN/ PINLESS mOISTURE METER, about $60 at HD/ Lowes? Luck, and Let us Know?
Old 02-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If there is the corner molding that has the plastic strips pressed into it I would inspect there. I had the same problem and it was how they installed it, they didn't do a good job sealing. I had to remove and redo all of it and make sure to caulk the screw heads of the screws thoroughly. YouTube is your friend.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #7

My only addition to what everybody else has contributed is: the gasket on the roof air conditioner. I think that's what my problem is. Can see any other holes or cracks anywhere.
bkobernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #8

I would remove some of the plastic trim insert from around the cabover and remove a screw or two to look for rust. Rust equals water intrusion
Old 02-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #9

Yes, roof a/c gasket needs to be re-tighten every couple of years. More often if you travel on rough roads regularly. I had to tighten my Greyhawk 2018 last month, it leaked by the filter.
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, leak, water, water leak