Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Class C rear corner beds??

Looking at a used Jayco Redhawk 26XS, that has a rear corner queen bed. How comfortable and convenient are they, otherwise seems the layout is good for the 2 of us. Any input appreciated
take 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Making up a corner bed can be a real frustrating challenge if you are not a gymnastic's participant. A walk around bed is preferred.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Making up a corner bed can be a real frustrating challenge if you are not a gymnastic's participant. A walk around bed is preferred.
X2

My wife agree's wholeheartedly.........
Old 11-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hated ours. As others have said, it's a pain to make up. It's also a pain to get in and out of.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

The fixed rear corner berth, which is part of the floor plans in many smaller Class ‘C’ motorhomes, is an abomination. I could describe it in more simpler terms but I would be banned from the forum for the use of so many strung together expletive adjectives fitting such a wonder of floor planning and forethought.

First off, it’s neither a Queen nor a Double. It takes Double Long sheets, that is if you are fool enough to try to use fitted sheets on the monster, and even at that with the corner chopped off, it’s a real disaster. Waking up in the middle of the night with the bottom fitted sheet wrapped up around the back of your neck is not conducive to a pleasant morning. You’re probable still suffering from the many contortions, aching muscles, and ripped fingernails you had to endure to put the sheets on the night before. I’ve even thought of standing on a step ladder and going through the emergency exit from the outside as a plausible idea for reaching the top of the mattress, something you can’t do while kneeling on it and trying to secure the sheet.

Moving right along, you have to get in and out of the thing without adding to your injuries or expelling the person next to you on to the floor during that inevitable trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Drawing straws to see who gets the inside and outside wall is another fine but not elaborated feature of this monstrosity. The inside wall winner gets trampled during the nighttime run and the outside wall winner gets to be crammed up against the outside wall, not a problem until the cold weather sets in. Both winners get to scoot in and out on the back of their head, butt, and ankles using their arms like a set of oars, something that once mastered will make getting settled a little more palatable.

Next up, storage. Don’t even think about putting anything you ever want to see or use again in the rear overhead compartments. It takes a different kind of maneuver to retrieve the item. Unless you want to get the sheets and blankets full of whatever your shoes drug in from the surrounding campground, you’ll need to remove them. Then you either crawl in on your hands and knees or use a long broom handle with a hook on the end to fetch the item. If you choose to go in on your hands and knees, you still have to get back out, only with one less hand to help you. If you put an item requiring both hands to retrieve, then you’ll need to roll over on your back and toss it out. Now since you are on your back, refer to the entry exit method described earlier.

Finally, we get to the mattress itself. It’s the best mattress $39.95 can buy. A Sleep Number replacement is out of the question if you ever want to open the bathroom door. A custom is an option, but an expensive one, so you decide to make the mistake of all mistakes with this corner bunk. You buy a 3” or 4” foam mattress topper and cut off the corner to make it fit. If you think making up the bed was difficult enough, you have just made the leap into impossible. Now you sink in and are captured like being in thick mud, able to barely move or crawl forward. It’s even more fun to get in and out of as not only do you use the back of your head, butt, and ankles, but now you’ll need to thrash up and down like you were being electrocuted to move in any direction.

Well, there you have it. Everything you wanted to know and then some about the corner berth.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #6

Ditto × 1000
rpatnaude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

@ nosticks

Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

It all depends. Our corner bed works perfectly for us because we don't sleep in the same bed.

I use the over the cab bed, and prefer nice sheets and a blanket.
The other half uses the corner bed....and quickly found investment in a dual sided (summer/winter) good quality sleeping bag solved any problem with trying to fit the corner bed with sheets, or struggling with making the bed daily.
Zip up the sleeping bag, roll it up, cinch the cord, stow the bag in the cabinet or wardrobe. Voila!! The bed is made...quick and easy.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #9

Some of the redhawks have split mattress in order to bring slide in. Can't use bed unless slide out and fold creates a problem with support. Our Minnie Winnie (2017) has a super comfortable 80" Queen bed (N-S). It is more comfortable than our bed at S+B but you do have to climb in from the end.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Talking What is with all the whining?

I have listened to all of the whinings about rear quarter beds in class C's on this Forum and others for years... give me a break. If you do not want to deal with one why did you buy it in the first place?

To get a "walk around" queen in any class C less than 27' you have to give up a lot more than you gain. Wasted space in a small Class C should be a felony... OK, at least a misdemeanor and walk around queens are the epitome of wasted space. You spend about 10 seconds getting in or out and then you are down for the night so again I ask where is this huge problem??? Bottom line, A walk around queen is nothing but wasted space 23.9 hours a day

We have had had our 24'Nexus for 4+ years and with the quality innerspring mattress it came with the rear corner queen has been the most comfortable bed we have ever owned. Yes, they are PITA to make up {just use a fitted bottom sheet and a flat top sheet - just like at home}, but since you don't need to do it all that often and it takes all of about 10 minutes tops so why all the trauma/drama?

As far as getting in and out of bed again we have no issues. We sleep with our heads at the rear of the coach. I sleep on the curbside and my bride on the centerline. Typically I am the only one who ever gets up in the night to visit the can and usually without even waking her. It does involve doing a "sit up" prior to slipping out of bed but come on folks... one lousy sit up, is that really too much to ask?

OK, I'll admit it... I'm pulling a few chains here with humor in my heart but seriously folks get over it. We have a huge cabover, larger than a queen, but it rarely sees guests though it does make for a great TV lounge.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

PS: For the record, my bride and I are 67/66.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Corner bed. Easy fix is to use cheap suspenders to fasten bedding underneath the mattress, leaving the top sheet and cover open on one side for entry. Nothing moves and just tuck and smooth everything out in the morning and the bed is made. Also works for the twin beds in my Siesta.

Storage-
In the Siesta, my model with the twin beds has overhead storage cabinets along both sides and the full width of the rear wall. The Queen bed /rear slide model has two smaller cabinets on just the rear slide wall and no cabinets on the sides to allow room to walk-around the bed.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Too funny nosticks.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #13

Personally, I would not buy a unit with a corner bed. I have met too many people who complain about them after the purchase and not one who has had a good thing to say about them, unless they are a single person or sleep in different beds. It is a 1 person bed, period. Whoever is on the inside has to climb over the other person to get in / out of a corner bed. Hello 2 a.m. potty need and argument.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #14

I'd only buy a corner bed for solo travel. The WAF would be exactly 0 on such a setup.

I'd have better luck getting her in a a truck camper and THAT isn't happening (as much as I'd like a Host...)

Tags
class c