Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Mmmm... Let's see, a trailer, with all it's house systems and a large enough tow vehicle that will probably have to be a first or second daily driver. Mileage will probably be in the very low teens and require maintenance and tires at truck prices. OR... a Class C that still has the maintenance of a trailer's house systems and of a large van/truck. BUT... You'll park it when not using it and use smaller daily drivers, one of which can double as a toad when you take trips. In addition, you'll need a place to park either a trailer or a Class C, which breaks even in the (+) (-) columns.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexasb View Post
I am new to this forum so hopefully this has not been answered already. My wife and I are considering buying a Class C motorhome instead of a travel trailer. I keep hearing from numerous friends and family members that we should reconsider because motorhomes constantly break down and need mechanical work. We love the conveniences of a motorhome and prefer it over a travel trailer, though we are not anti-travel trailer. We would like to know what experience anyone on this forum might have with this subject. Any information would be appreciated.
We just went from a TT to a C. Never looked back. Did a lot of homework, researched the V10, went to shows and chose our C. Before, we were me, DW, 2 GKs DD SON-in- law cramed in to a pickup truck. Oh did I mention the dog. Truck is old and we needed more room. Larger TT and better truck, 5vr, C?. We pondered and noodled the question. Look at $$$ very closely,
We chose a C bunkhouse. Plenty of room and family is much more relaxed on the trip there. Our camping actually starts when we clear the yard.. GKs play games, DW reads. Everyone has access to fridge, bathroom. Plenty of seatbelts for everyone. The C works for us.

On the issue of dependability, My unit has been very dependable and i expect many years of dependable service. Still worried, i recommend Goodsams emergency roadside service. I will not leave home without it. I had to do a front end alignment, only problem. Got reimbursed from dealer.
The maintenance is no more that a TT and truck. True, you do not have a daily driver but, I kept the old truck.

C's are easier to back with the backup camera and with hydraulic level system, a lot easier to setup. Fuel mileage has bee. Worst 7.4 best 9.4. My truck and trailer 9.1mpg.

Keep doing what you are doing, ask questions, check other blog sites, check out RV shows, find what fits the family, budget, and your expectations.. Half the fun is research.

Check out the Forest river forum. Lots of folks there to pose the same question and other forums as well.
Good luck.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had TTs and do have a truck and camper plus a Class C.

Any vehicle can break down so maintenance is always a key to reliability. I prefer my class C over my travel trailer because I find it faster to set up and easier to travel in for quick beaks to make coffee, restroom etc.

If DH is with me I love having access to restroom w out stopping , and fridge for cold drinks and food.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #18

I am not going to repeat what anybody has said, not even me.

We are cutting a week-long trip that included a music festival (hammered dulcimer) short by three days.

¿WHY?
Because the reefer has screwed up. It is the newest thing we have and it is dying. It is using way more power than it is supposed to and not making ice at all. We are going to shop for a replacement on the way home. What ever we buy will most likely require a re-work of the installation.

Yes, reliability is a big issue.

Matt
Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #19

We have a 2003 Gulf Stream on the Ford E450 chassis with V10. A great setup. As for as problems, I have had nothing out of the ordinary. As has been said keep up with the maintenance and you probably won't have any problems. It is a vechile with a motor and transmission, so there is always a possibility that some will fail. That happens with anything that has wheels, car, truck, motorhome. I will take my motorhome anywhere in the country.
We love the C, everything is right there.
If i ever decide to replace it, it will be with another motorhome, for sure.
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I am not going to repeat what anybody has said, not even me.

We are cutting a week-long trip that included a music festival (hammered dulcimer) short by three days.

¿WHY?
Because the reefer has screwed up. It is the newest thing we have and it is dying. It is using way more power than it is supposed to and not making ice at all. We are going to shop for a replacement on the way home. What ever we buy will most likely require a re-work of the installation.

Yes, reliability is a big issue.

Matt
Matt - your profile says your RV is a 1978 model? If that is true, and it still is "working" I would think that is pretty "reliable"! IMHO
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Matt - your profile says your RV is a 1978 model? If that is true, and it still is "working" I would think that is pretty "reliable"! IMHO
Debbie,
You misread the profile. The coach was built in 1973.
We have done over 6500 miles this year and would have been up to 7K but the refrigerator issue made us cut the most recent excursion short. In two weeks we will be part of an antique and classic display. I will have the sign up that says, "We don't plan to restore, we are too busy traveling."

Matt
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Debbie,
You misread the profile. The coach was built in 1973.
We have done over 6500 miles this year and would have been up to 7K but the refrigerator issue made us cut the most recent excursion short. In two weeks we will be part of an antique and classic display. I will have the sign up that says, "We don't plan to restore, we are too busy traveling."

Matt
Well, that is pretty reliable!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Mmmm... Let's see, a trailer, with all it's house systems and a large enough tow vehicle that will probably have to be a first or second daily driver. Mileage will probably be in the very low teens and require maintenance and tires at truck prices. OR... a Class C that still has the maintenance of a trailer's house systems and of a large van/truck. BUT... You'll park it when not using it and use smaller daily drivers, one of which can double as a toad when you take trips. In addition, you'll need a place to park either a trailer or a Class C, which breaks even in the (+) (-) columns.
I won't regurgitate all the good posts here. Especially liked this one above. We've had both and each has it's pros & cons. One thing I've noticed since getting our class C is that it can sometimes be a bit more bothersome to find the appropriate mechanic to work on the quasi-truck components (i.e. suspension, alignment, etc), whereas a regular pickup would be no big deal. One other good thing about the truck-as-daily-driver is that it is getting regular use and thus you'll be well aware of any maintenance issues or needs prior to a trip. A MH that mostly sits doesn't get that regular exercise and you don't have as many opportunities to stay "in tune" with it, if that makes sense.

Note that I'm not saying these are deal-breakers, just observations to throw in the mix.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
There are many thousands of Class C's out there. Many, if not most perform like any other motorized vehicle. That is to say that if you don't keep up with the scheduled maintenance you could certainly run into trouble. I am quite happy with my Itasca Navion Class C since purchasing it 1 1/2 years ago. No trouble whatsoever. One thing to keep in mind is that these forums are here to help folks so when there is a problem with their MH's they post it asking for solutions. Many times that is what we see and read on the boards. The majority of folks don't seem to chime in and say on a daily basis how things are going well.
Remember, if you take care of your investment, it will take care of you.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #25

Thanks for Info

I want to tell everyone thank you so much for all the insightful answers. I will say my mind is not 100% made up yet but definitley 98%. I will be following this forum more often. There is so much great information and knowledge to gain education from. I surely do not want to go into this purchase blind. Again thanks so much
jtexasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexasb View Post
I want to tell everyone thank you so much for all the insightful answers. I will say my mind is not 100% made up yet but definitley 98%. I will be following this forum more often. There is so much great information and knowledge to gain education from. I surely do not want to go into this purchase blind. Again thanks so much
I'll just say that we went from a TT to a C and it was the best move we ever made.
It's 10x easier to setup, its more comfortable to travel in and it eliminated a tow vehicle that was only used for that purpose.
As for the reliability, I would say it is no less reliable than a tow vehicle for a travel trailer when properly maintained.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
...we went from a TT to a C and it was the best move we ever made. It's 10x easier to setup, its more comfortable to travel...
X2. We love our C.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I love my class c. It is easy for me to drive.
SherrRv is offline   Reply With Quote