Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephls View Post
30 foot rig needs 2 ac units if you travel in the summer. Ours is 28’ and one is not enough when the temps are in the mid 90’s and up. Which is a majority of the country in the summer.
A new ac won’t make any difference . I installed a new unit to get one that’s quiet and the newer units don’t cool anymore than older units which is to be expected.

I’ll never own another rig of this size without 50 amp and 2 ac units. For me this was Lesson learned.
You have a very common complaint. The length, width, height, and quantity of slide outs influence the volume of air you are trying to cool, so even some mid-length rigs have cooling issues with one a/c unit.

Keep in mind for next time (if there is a next time for you) and as a warning to others, just because you have two a/c units and 50 amp service, does not mean you can run both a/c units with the generator. Most require being plugged into 50 amp service to run that second air conditioner. So when you boondock, it's still just one a/c unit. The RV manufactures don't wire that second a/c unit to the generator, so you can't even try running both off it.

The standard Onan 4000 generator cannot support two a/c units and the class-C manufactures won't install a bigger generator. I have read that a few people are finding success in running two a/c units with an Onan 4000 by adding soft start units inside each (and changing the wiring to run both). The soft-start units eliminate the spike in amperage during start-up which prevents the main breaker from tripping. But don't take my word on it. Do your research on whether this really works.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #30

Ron, I’m aware that you can’t run 2 ac units on a Onan 4000. I’d be surprised to find many that aren’t aware of that. When it’s hot as in close to or triple digit temps I’m not boon docking ,I’m in a camp ground with electric service. Even with only one ac it’s no fun to run that noisy gen all night to keep the ac going.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #31

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
You can find portable 15,000 BTU AC units at Lowe's or Depot for about $600. They run on 110 VAC and just use an exhaust tube you can stick out a window. Cut some cardboard to block the screen with the vent hose ported thru it. We use one in our house for hot rooms and find it works great and is much less than reworking the RV interior.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #32

Got it home from shop. Did think to gen up and be sure it turned on after servicing. We have had nothing but storms, wind and rain here since. I am going to check around the ceiling ducts to be sure nothing separated and no spaces in the rooftop as soon as the weather clears. Buying insulating window shades for cab and bedroom windows since there are 3. I will see if the cleaning helped any.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #33

A long time ago in a land far away I put 2 ducted roof airs on a bus conversion. By dumb luck I had a how to guide on designing RV duct work.

Move ahead a couple decades and doing some AC work on a house in Florida I found there is a Manual D for designing home duct work. Obviously the people that put the duct in my house never heard of the manual D and it all needed to be redone! I opted for mini spits instead and would do so in my RV but have no room for interior units.

Makes me wonder if duct work is put in RV without consulting the instructions??
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1018 View Post
You are right. The one time I took it out in fall after I bought it, it was quite warm and all the air units were humming in rv park. I never thought about it. It is a 13500 unit with duct. I am not sure of brand because unit is being serviced and manuals are in it. A guy told me they only last about 5 years and this is 6 years old. Wondering if there is any truth to this. Made me start to wonder before I go on month long trip of course in August out west. I will invest in the reflective windshield stuff and maybe for windows too. I know this is not a top of the line unit either so I am guessing not insulated that well. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.
I have a ducted 15K btu a/c in my 29 mv. I just did a modification on my unit that boosted the airflow and cooling throughout the unit tremendously. Here is the video on it.. That said, i didn't buy the device they are using in the video. I built one on my 3d printer it works on the same principle. I just finished installing it and what a difference. I had installed a second 13k unit in the back since i live in south Florida, and the standard design of the front unit just wouldn't cool the back. With this upgrade i wouldn't have needed a second a/c. Oh well when i go to sell it it will add value. Also clean to coils that will add cooling efficiency.
bladerunner4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, class c, roof