Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #1

Class C solar wiring to charger question

I have a 2006 Winnebago class C with an upgraded Progressive Dynamics PD4645V charger and stock inverter. Now, I'd like to add a few solar panels. The plan was to drop the solar wire down the fridge vent --> to the solar charger (to be mounted under the stove) --> pop a hole through the floor and run welding wire (in conduit) under the rig to the coach battery located under the entry stairs.

I just saw a youtube video about a guy who wired the solar controller/charger directly to the existing battery charger under the fridge and now I'm all confused. What do you guys think? If I can go to the PD4645V, do I pigtail?

OR should I stay with the original plan and go from the solar controller/charger to the battery and bypass the house charger altogether?
HOOOPTEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 96 bago 30ft
I dropped my 8 AWG red/blk from panels , down the side of the shower vent pipe, it ended up in a small enclosure / cabinate/shelf there the converter.chg and power panel is located,

I mounted the controller under panel door. put solar feeds on a switched fuses, then to controller input, controller out put went to the extra lugs on my converter, as in this pic.. there was wire from the PD unit, one hot and one neg to the distri panel that also feeds the batteries,, I just landed the solar on the unused lugs

I used 12 foot of wire from the roof panels, to fuses, to controler, to pd unit..

Since I have 400 watts, to be 600 in spring,, that is about 30 amps not issue for the wires..
It charges my 3 105AH batteries fine,,

sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #3

If the solar charge controller is wired to the battery side of the charger it won't be any different that wiring the solar charge controller directly to the batteries assuming there is nothing between the charger and the batteries. It doesn't matter which end of a wire you attach something to the charger will "see' the same current. Just make sure that the wire going from the charger to the batteries is large enough to handle the combined current of the solar and the charger. Good luck
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, class c, solar, wiring