Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #1

Class C Sprinter wannabe

RV wannabe and have been shopping for several months. Narrowed down the search to Class C Sprinters. Would love to hear from some experienced Sprinter owners regarding the value of: anti-sway components, 13.5 v 15 k a/c, LP v diesel generators, full body paint, and anything else which may not be readily apparent to an uniformed senior citizen.
buckwheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

We had a Dynamax Isata 3 sprinter with full body paint (makes it easier to sell), 15 AC for the heat pump, and propane generator (which we did not use much). We liked the coach and traveled in it for a year before upgrading to a DP

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We live in the southwest and that drove our selections in our Winnebago Navion:
1. 15.5 A/C unit when the temps are high
2. Diesel generator - always easier to find diesel than propane, and it doesn't require a second stop.
3. Full body paint - when the sun eats the vinyl graphics, you will be happy you spent the money
4. Anti-sway - only if you think you need it. My experience says it is a good way to drain your wallet for little gain.

And when you are shopping, always look at the door weight sticker(s) and the OCCC for that model. Anything below 1000 lbs really limits you ability to take things with you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #5

We have a 2017 Dynamax Isata 3 24FW that we just finished the first two years and 14k miles.

We have the Atwood 15k AC w/ heat pump and really like it.

We have the propane generator because we rarely boondock and didn’t want the extra cost and weight for the diesel gen.

Dynamax adds the Helwig swaybar as standard equipment. Lots of other standard upgrades as well.

Definitely go with full body paint. The decals and white bodies look bad after a couple of years.

We have not had a single warranty claim or trip for service.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #6

We had a 2017 Sunseeker 2400R with the upgraded A/C, full body paint and Hellwig anti sway bars and propane generator. Full body paint is nice, keeps resell up and no decals to peel off, Generally found that in real hot weather, A/C could not keep up with high temps, suspension helped, but did not totally solve sway, and propane generator worked fine, although we did not use it a lot. Unit was really too small for us on long trips, so just upgraded to a Class A.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
you can search here and on the sprinter forum for in depth discussions, arguments to all of the features on the sprinter builds.

I'm happy with my:

Diesel gen w/over 360 hrs in 3 years and 1/3 gal fuel per hour - for the extra 40 or so lbs and the ease of getting fuel it was a no brainer, if you plan on doing any dry/boondocking for more than a day at a time it will be well worth it.

Tankless (Truma) hot water heater - endless hot water supply! (propane fired only but not an issue since propane is used only for hot water and heat when needed and to run the stovetop and fridge)

added Sumo Springs for a few hundred decreased the rocking

tire minder to keep track of your tire pressures and metal valve extensions for the TPMS and make adjusting air much easier.

maxair exhaust fan

solar system if you like to boondock/dry camp

probably need upgraded batteries since most OEM coach batteries are notoriously low amp rated

full paint (for winnebago) was 10k - decals etc looks good after 3 years and I can get a full paint job when needed in south texas for about 6-7k the full paint does look nice by according to a few sales people it does not hold the increase value but will help the unit sell faster perhaps--- again its the salesman's opinion, but he would have had a higher commission if I purchased it.

upgraded ALCOA rims are nice and they have been improved in the last 3 years
Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #8

Thanks, helpful.
buckwheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #9

Hi, We have a 2017 Thor Citation SS. We've accumulated 20K miles so far towing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler with zero issues. It has the 13.5BTU A/C, tankless water heater and LP Onan 3600 generator. We've experienced no issues finding LP, with a little preplanning.
I've upgraded the suspension with SUMO springs front and rear, HD rear shocks and 1 1/2 inch rear sway bar to decrease the swaying. We're going to break down and take it to HWH corporation in July to have automatic levelers installed to make it easier for my wife and friends to make excursions without me. She's not interested in driving up ramps to level park. Hope this helps and good luck!
gnavejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

NYBobbo

Sumo springs just on the rear?
Touchdown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheats View Post
RV wannabe and have been shopping for several months. Narrowed down the search to Class C Sprinters. Would love to hear from some experienced Sprinter owners regarding the value of: anti-sway components, 13.5 v 15 k a/c, LP v diesel generators, full body paint, and anything else which may not be readily apparent to an uniformed senior citizen.
I am a newbie:
Have a Tiffin 2018 24’ Wayfarer with 2 slide outs and diesel gen.
Interior is excellent and topical Tiffin luxury.. we are driving from San Diego to NJ taking 3 weeks to do it towing a Jeep 2 door wrangler.
Let you know how it goes.
Ripper
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
So Ripper, have you ever rolled your unit over a scale? Just curious how far over your GVWR and GCWR you actually are. Wayfarers have very low OCCC and your Wrangler is right at the upper towing weight a Sprinter chassis can handle.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
you can search here and on the sprinter forum for in depth discussions, arguments to all of the features on the sprinter builds.

I'm happy with my:

Diesel gen w/over 360 hrs in 3 years and 1/3 gal fuel per hour - for the extra 40 or so lbs and the ease of getting fuel it was a no brainer, if you plan on doing any dry/boondocking for more than a day at a time it will be well worth it.

Tankless (Truma) hot water heater - endless hot water supply! (propane fired only but not an issue since propane is used only for hot water and heat when needed and to run the stovetop and fridge)

added Sumo Springs for a few hundred decreased the rocking

tire minder to keep track of your tire pressures and metal valve extensions for the TPMS and make adjusting air much easier.

maxair exhaust fan

solar system if you like to boondock/dry camp

probably need upgraded batteries since most OEM coach batteries are notoriously low amp rated

full paint (for winnebago) was 10k - decals etc looks good after 3 years and I can get a full paint job when needed in south texas for about 6-7k the full paint does look nice by according to a few sales people it does not hold the increase value but will help the unit sell faster perhaps--- again its the salesman's opinion, but he would have had a higher commission if I purchased it.

upgraded ALCOA rims are nice and they have been improved in the last 3 years
NY Bobbi, saw you have TireMinder TPMS which I just purchased & haven’t received yet. Did you dismount duals to install sensors? Looking under my Renegade Villagio today it looks almost impossible to install outside wheel sensors without dismount but maybe there’s a trick. Also, did you do Alcoa wheels all around? I love them but must have cost a fortune! I’m fairly new to this Class C rving so any tips appreciated. Sounds like you know your stuff.
Robert
NichoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
NichoII - get yourself a set of Borg Dually valve stems and have them installed before you add the TPMS sensors. The Borgs are custom formed to fit the Sprinter wheels.

Tags
class c