Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #1

Class C Tow car plus and minus

I just purchased a 2011 Winnabago View. It has a 3.0 Diesel Mercedes. I am thinking about a tow car, and am interested in anyone that has experience and advise on models to buy.
pacamyhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to the forum There are alot of cars that can be towed 4 down. We towed a Saturn Vue and it was a breeze. We are new owners of a 2010 Ford Flex and it tows 4 down without any modification. Here's a good site to start your search...Peace...D

Dinghy Towing and Dinghy Guide
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We've had our View since August 2005 . . . towed a Scion xA for a few years, then in 2010 traded it for a MINI Cooper. MINI's won't show up in the Dinghy Guide as towable four-down, but they are with a manual transmission. Super handling, performance and lots of fun!

Our 5-cylinder Mercedes diesel tows great, your V-6 should do very well as long as you don't go too heavy.

Good luck - have fun.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

We have a 2009 View. We've been thinking about towing a car too. I bought a 88 Mustang GT Convertible with the idea that we would tow it. I've been getting conflicting information about the GT. Some say you can't tow it, others tell me so long as it's a manual, no problem. There is one problem that I have though, they don't make a base plate for the GT. I've seen newer GTs being towed, I'm guessing they may have had to have a custom base plate made for it. I think the main problem is the ground affects that are on the GT, also too limited an audience for the manufacturer to bother with it.

Anyway, I've towed utility trailers over 4K with our View. It pulled them beautifully. Barely knew they were there, only decreased mileage by about 1 MPG.
Kodibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacamyhm View Post
I just purchased a 2011 Winnabago View. It has a 3.0 Diesel Mercedes. I am thinking about a tow car, and am interested in anyone that has experience and advise on models to buy.
we also have a 2011 view and for a while were towing via dolly a 2009 hyundai. but that added a lot of extra weight. we purchased a 2011 chevy malibu (very comfortable ride) and in the process of installing a blue ox tow bar. good luck with the view and happy camping. you will love the view.
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

Tow Vehicle

July 3, 2011

We ahve a 2006 View. Tow capacity for the 2.7 cylinder is 3,500#

We elected for a 2008 Ford Focus which striped down weighs about 2,600# We elected to tow with a tow dolly for cost. An electric brake tow dolly was $1,500 vs to tow flat would have added $2,500 - $3,000 with a base plate for the car and the hitch, supplementary braking system and wiring. Some state require the supplementary braking systme and we have it covered with the tow dolly.

Dusty
Buena Vista, CO 81211
Dusty1941 is offline   Reply With Quote