RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Class C turning radius question

Sold our Class A, and are looking for a slightly used C. Drove a Jayco 29MV yesterday, v8 is great, nice coach, but a did not drive as much as a should have. Today drove another Jayco, 2018 same size as the 29MV, our favorite. Tried to do a u turn on a 4 lane divided highway from the left turning lane. The turning radius is much, much larger than a 38 foot class A. Ended up blocking traffic and doing a j turn. If you had a toad, you are screwed. Was this radius typical of class C, is there any difference on the new chassis with the v8??
If this the way they are, I can drive accordingly, but sure got my attention.
Also, looking at Jayco, mainly because of the bigger shower and the JRide stuff. Any we are grateful for. Thanks, the down sizing Muffin Man.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #2

I've been looking at new Jayco Grayhawk and Integra Odyssey, 30Z class C's.

Same floor plan, drivetrain and claim of ride enhancements.

What Jayco calls J Ride, Entegra calls E-Z Ride

Rubber chassis mounts, computer balanced drive shaft, front and rear sway bars and helper springs.

All MHs have front and rear sway bars.

The drive shaft is lengthened when they lengthen the chassis, so balancing it is standard practice.

Aftermarket helper springs keep the rear from sagging with the added load of the house. They are using them instead of Sumo Spring style rubber springs.

I'm not bad mouthing the enhancements, just pointing out that it may be more marketing of standard items then anything else.

A long road test is the best deciding factor.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #3

I don't think I would ever make a U-turn in my motorhome. I try to plan the route so I don't have to, but if I miss a turn or something I'll just keep going until I find a place I can turn left, then make a u-turn in a less busy street or large parking lot, or if it's in a neighborhood make it couple left turns and come back out to the highway and turn right. Or turn right and do the same thing, then come back out on the highway and turn left across the highway.

As far as the tail sticks out, it just doesn't seem like a good idea anyway. When I'm out in the motorhome I'm not in a hurry, so I don't care if I have to waste some time making a safer turn.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #4

Question

Simplified question: is a class c ford chassis have a much bigger, same, or a smaller turning radius than the normal Freightliner class a???????
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #5

Since you are 'down' grading you will notice many trade offs going from a Class A to a c.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #6

Wheelbase probably has more to do with the turning radius. From the Ford website a few years ago.
"
Turning diameter is the same for the E-350 and 450

With the 158" Wheelbase = 54.8'

With the 176" Wheelbase = 60.3' "
RV manufacturers quite often extend the wheelbase to accommodate the floor plan. Our c-class started with a 158" WB from Ford but extended it to 195", I have never tried to measure my turning diameter.
Many chassis manufacturers will list the wheel cut, how much the wheels turn from a straight forward direction.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #7

One of my brother-in-laws drove big rigs for decades, and he always planned his route to not only avoid u-turns, but left turns. I've always kind of followed that philosophy as well, just in my regular driving. Less chances to get in accidents that way. My rig has a 198" wheelbase, which is great for straight line handling, but I'm not even going to think about making a U-turn in it on a four-lane highway. I don't want to be that big "beached whale" that everybody on both sides is honking it.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #8

Given identical wheel bases, I always understood the Ford E-Series has the worst turning radius of all class C chassis. We have a Ford E350 with a standard 158" wheel base, a short wheel base by motor home standards.

Doing a "U" turn on a 4 lane road requires the use of both shoulders. That is pretty bad, especially when towing another vehicle.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #9

The Sprinter, which is relatively short compared to most Ford MH chassis' have a very tight turning radius. Other than that, its a truck, no they don't turn very tight.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 220 inch WB on my 31-footer. The turning radius is "arful". I am certain lots of longer Class A's could easily turn inside my turn radius .... especially if they have independent front suspension. Of course the longer WB on my Class C makes it a bit better behaved I believe than most shorter Class C's whilst going straight down the road but I am on edge a lot regarding that turning radius. No way I can back up with my toad; and I have never taken a trip without the toad. Always trade offs I reckon.

Be safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Of course the longer WB on my Class C makes it a bit better behaved I believe than most shorter Class C's whilst going straight down the road but I am on edge a lot regarding that turning radius. No way I can back up with my toad; and I have never taken a trip without the toad. Always trade offs I reckon.
Very true!
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #12

The steering angle on a Ford Class C isn't good. I don't know what that angle is, but it's not at all sharp. Maybe 35 degrees?? It wouldn't matter V8 to V10, as far as I know.

Class A's typically have a sharper steering angle, so for a given wheelbase, most class A's will have a smaller turning radius.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #13

Cool Nothing turns well when towing...

"Doing a "U" turn on a 4 lane road requires the use of both shoulders. That is pretty bad, especially when towing another vehicle."

Ron, It is pretty bad BECAUSE you are towing another vehicle. My E-350 with the 158" wheelbase is no sports car but handles turns, including U turns just fine. When in urban areas I have no problem parallel parking it "IF" I am not towing anything.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My 4500 Chevy chassis has a tighter turning radius than the E350 class C I had before. The Ford was a 28A. My current unit is a 290QB. So supposedly a foot longer. Actually it is 30.5 nose to tail. The stock Chevy chassis also handles cross winds better.

The Chevy is on a 209 wheelbase chassis.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c