RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Class C Weight

So I weighed my Sunseeker tonight and I am about 400 lbs. over fairly even over the two axels. Do I drive it that way? We are headed cross country; from Pa to OR.
RaShiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #2

Were you fully loaded for travel ?
Full fuel , water on board ?

Are you over the, Max Load , tire rating ?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #3

Max load. I haven’t checked the tire ratings
Old 08-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #4

And yes, fully loaded. Full gas tank, 1/3 fresh water tank.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaShiner View Post
So I weighed my Sunseeker tonight and I am about 400 lbs. over fairly even over the two axels. Do I drive it that way? We are headed cross country; from Pa to OR.
I'm normally about 700 over on my 28' C. I've asked around, and this seems common. Just watch your tire pressures. It's not ideal, but that's the joy of C's, I guess.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaShiner View Post
Max load. I havenít checked the tire ratings
You are over your GVWR ( Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ) 400LBS. and your Front and Rear Axle Weight Ratings ( FAWR ; RAWR ) by 200 LBS each .

By " Max Load " I mean; the tire load carrying rating for the tires at Max cold inflation .
Overloading the tires on a long trip , is just asking for trouble.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #7

Cool More info please...

It is still not clear what numbers you are actually looking at, could you be more specific as to front and rear axle weights along with the actual GVWR of your coach. Also what model, size etc would be helpful. Keep in mind that your coach should have approximately one third of the weight on the front axle and obviously the remaining two thirds on the rear axle {+/-}.

What is the payload of your coach? What did your Scale weights show? You may be able to impact your numbers by reloading creatively putting heavy things where they will have the least negative impact. If you are still over the axle limits not to mention GVWR it is time to take a serious look and what you are carrying {and why}. Getting the coach properly balanced not to mention bringing it in under GVWR or at least closer than 400# is a worthwhile goal. Good luck.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You had to ask about class c weights...GVWR.... now the tires etc etc...

95% of the class c going down the highway since the 80's have NO Clue what their weights are and my guess would be 60% of those are over the spec...

..My first C about 9+ years ago.. hauled a 7500 GVWr 7/16 trailer.. .. and it would get stuffed.. Door sticker had 11,200 / 17200 comb.. Previous owner towed and enclosed car trailer with a replica 62 Ponitac Catalina that he won the Daytona 500 in.. Fl to NC to Mich couple times a year.. he added 2 leafs to the pack in rear, and air bag. I figured he put over a 100k+ on the rig prior to me. I am good.. ..
fast forward 3 years ago. I am at a toll booth ..NJ ladys says $28.. I go whooooa... It is normall 18 and change.. NOPE.. I am like it is a Motorhome.. etc.. She says scales say you are 18k plus... Up a class.... .. I paid.. bitching the next 2 hours home..
I told my son, who took his van and same size trailer.. $9...
an hour later, Junior texted. come out here.. the local police van was there. He my buddy has his DOT scales, he is doing traffic tonite..

We did all 6 wheels.. I was just about 178xx.. but was less Me wife, 2 dogs and 20+gallon fuel i used from that point.. Trailer was almost 7K with close to 800 on tongue OUCH.. Rig was at load max..

New to me last year.. as the lil C Rv is at 200k....My 1996 29 Minnie 12400 rig 17400 GVWC .. tire loads are 5200 frt at 80psi rear are 9960.. my unit ready for road 11860 avg,, When I toss trailer on.. I limit load to 4k avg.. this maxes the rig and leaves a little on combined..

DO I worry if I add stuff in trailer, or wife adds extra cooler and a few bags of stuff.. NOPE..

Tires are good for the load..
I am leaving next wed for a long weekend.. Rig is gonna be heavier than last year.. Coated roof , added laminate, floor (rug gone) Added a 3rd 29 deep cycle. extra propane tank and grill master. . water full, fuel filled. putting 10 gallon water into black tank to stop clogs.. Trailer will be at the 4 K or tad over.. 20 gallon of fuel in trailer to keep AC running for 5 days.. Extra 3500 genny .. Onan would need 50 gallon...
less wife, she coming friday in car..

BLAH BLah,. my long stories , sorry.

I got the 96 Class c with 30k on it, because it was cheap, I like to tinker, realize it may sway, doesnt carry tons of load on a E350. gets 7mpg on a good day.
All this becasue I have been camping with my dad since 1968 in a tent then a 70 ford econoline conversion with ice box, we were kings.. then a 73 aristocrat 18' TT, mom was happier LOL... Just love doing it,, even though I have a 15 acre getaway with a small house in the middle of nowhere.. Love the Rv.. SO I DO NOT SWEAT a few pounds.. If the motor pulls it and i can stop.... we good LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was 180 under for the front axel and 220 over for the rear axle and 40 over for GVWR. That was without two people. We removed what we could, redistributed some (more side to side redistribution) and left for our trip. Before doing all that, we were slightly under max tire loads. I left my notes at home so I can’t give exact numbers. This is a’20 Forest River Sunseeker. Weight limits are Front axle i5000, rear is 9600 and total is 14500.

Thanks again.

Tags
class c, weight