Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cleaning cab-over

Now this subject, I'm sure, has been discussed over and over but I am always hoping for some fresh ideas. Brand new Gulf Stream Conquest Class C and I did not have time to wax it before leaving Florida. Get to Michigan and, obviously, the vehicle is dirty and covered in bug stains - especially the cab-over. What is the very best way to clean that cab-over area? I know people say have a good coat of wax on it first, but that ship has already sailed. Also I hear that it just takes some elbow grease, and I understand that too but there must be a somewhat easy way to accomplish this.

What is everyone's best method? Secondly, how many use power washers on their RV?

Thanks in advance gang.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #2

Would like to know also. And how do you reach the over cab cap to clean and wax it.
Gene
Gene Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:49 AM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-93063...%2C112&sr=8-44

I use this adjustable car brush on a pole. 409 is my preferred spray cleaner for bugs. Doesn't hurt paint or decals which some more aggressive cleaners will. Love 30 second cleaner for mold but it eats decals. When through with the last rinse a soft cotton towel folded over the brush wipes the high windows dry removing water spots. Did ours yesterday in 3 hours in 95 degree FL heat. Too whipped today to pick up a hanky. Good luck.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

Thanks, I'll try the 409. However, I have been waxing my motor home and having difficulty reaching the front cap. Was hoping someone has an easy process. The way I started mine is with 8 ft ladder having a problem reaching the center and the top, I guess the top of the cap can be reached from the roof.

Gene
Gene Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:46 PM   #5

I use a 8 foot step ladder and can reach to the midway point from each side. I polish the entire coach annually and this year added a ceramic coating. The ceramic has helped the most on the cap. It really allows easy cleanup with car soap and a pole brush. Most of the stuff comes off with a blast of water. My back up is two ladders with a plank across the front. I don’t care for this method and I avoid it as much as possible but it works
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I use Turtle Wax Blue something or other made for cars. The bugs come off easily with a brush on an extendable pole. If it looks clean from the ground I am happy. Before the first trip of the year the camper goes to Blue Shield truck wash.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
Secondly, how many use power washers on their RV?

Warning: I had someone once *trying* to do me a favor, cleaning the overcab section with their pressure washer.....it tore up the decal!
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #8

I have used this with success:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure it is similar to many Bug-B-Gone type products out there.

-Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:22 AM   #9

Be careful.

https://us.amazon.com/WEN-31110T-Bak...%2C1659&sr=8-2
Old 06-20-2022, 07:21 AM   #10

I agree that the wash brushes (or even using a Swiffer handle with a microfiber towel on it) do work for light cleaning, but if you really want to get up close and personal, you'll need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had mine for a few years now and it's great for those post-trip bug gut scrubbing sessions. Mine included "planks" that go across the rungs so you have something to stand on.

Although mine is slightly (about 2") above the hood when in "scaffolding mode", I still put a very thick towel under the center hinge for extra protection if the ladder flexes.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beware HIGH PRESSURE WASHER, as they can remove CLEAR COAT IF PAINTED; get a good auto soap/wax, le it do the work for you?
Old 06-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #12

Try Bugside

I have had great results using Bugslide. It takes them off without a lot of effort and the more often you use it the better it works.

A long handle/soft bristle brush works better than anything else I’ve tried over the years.
Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote