Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #1

Cleaning the cabover

The Omni is my first C and I'm looking for suggestions on how to properly and safely clean the front of the thing. With my Class A DP I could stand on the extended generator, lean a ladder, padded for protection, against it or a step ladder. Same for the 5th wheels except the generator part. With this C, especially with the F-550 cab, leaning a ladder against the nose doesn't look like a practical method, nor does climbing on the hood of the truck. Right now I have some pine tree globs that I need to get off, plus just the normal collection of bugs. I also want to wax it but this means getting up close and personal with the nose cap. Long handled brushes will help in the washing, but some things need hand rubbing, or plastic razor scraping (tree sap), to remove.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
The Omni is my first C and I'm looking for suggestions on how to properly and safely clean the front of the thing. With my Class A DP I could stand on the extended generator, lean a ladder, padded for protection, against it or a step ladder. Same for the 5th wheels except the generator part. With this C, especially with the F-550 cab, leaning a ladder against the nose doesn't look like a practical method, nor does climbing on the hood of the truck. Right now I have some pine tree globs that I need to get off, plus just the normal collection of bugs. I also want to wax it but this means getting up close and personal with the nose cap. Long handled brushes will help in the washing, but some things need hand rubbing, or plastic razor scraping (tree sap), to remove.
Build yourself some kind of scaffolding platform to span the hood of your vehicle.
This would only be feasible at home because it involves a fair amount of hardware, like in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65A7178C-387E-49CA-87EC-B2EED74EDF9A.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	333549  
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Build yourself some kind of scaffolding platform to span the hood of your vehicle.
This would only be feasible at home because it involves a fair amount of hardware, like in this picture.
I actually have considered a variant of that. At home I have a pole barn I keep it under with concrete pad so making a movable scaffolding might be the best way. Maybe the only way to do it right.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #4

While this won't assist you at the moment, but more of a "food for thought".

After cleaning my class A coaches I knew the class C was going to be a pain. So last winter I bit the bullet and polished my front clip and ceramic coated it.

Of course, I took things a little too far. Ended up de-stripping the whole RV, polishing the entire rig. Then ceramic coated the whole thing and put on new wheels. Only took around 150 hours to complete over a couple of months.

BUT, in the end, it is a breeze to wash. Like no RV I've cleaned before. We did a 3500-mile road trip, over 3 weeks, I never washed the rig. After we got home was the plan.

Baked on bugs, massive dirt, you name it it was on the RV. I sprayed the front down with some bug remover and hit it with the hose. 80% came off right then, the other 20% just took a single wipe with my extended pole and lambswool pad. I did use hot water. I only wiped the glass and hood/grille dry. The rest air dries.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #5

Here is the bug remover I use:

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-bug-remover-128.html

I have it in a regular spray bottle, but I'm going to switch it to a 1-gallon garden sprayer. That will allow me to apply it faster and more evenly with using less each time.

A big reason I don't wipe it all dry is I wash with softened water. I have a water softener and on-demand water heater attached to hot and cold water spigots for washing cars/RV. My 24' class C takes less than an hour to wash.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #6

I picked up a pole brush from Costco. It works well to clean the cab. I haven't found an easy way to wax it.
Flyingsquirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #7

PDR John that is a god suggestion when I get a good access to the nose. The nose will need a waxing of some sort and going with a ceramic might be the best option. Will have to research products.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
PDR John that is a god suggestion when I get a good access to the nose. The nose will need a waxing of some sort and going with a ceramic might be the best option. Will have to research products.
I used R1 Coatings.

https://r1coatings.com/
Old 06-26-2021, 05:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The easiest method is get someone else to do it. It's their problem. I have not waxed my RVs for 6 years now. Most long term winter resort parks have teams of guys looking for this work.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4775.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	333726I use an old walk board between 2 ladders to work on the front. It takes a little getting used to working on it because there is some flex/ movement but it gets the job done.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I use my extension ladder. I cut a swim noodle to protect from scratching. It takes about three moves to reach everything ! I usually can get away with applying twice a year .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I use my extension ladder. I cut a swim noodle to protect from scratching. It takes about three moves to reach everything ! I usually can get away with applying twice a year .
I did essentially the same thing with my A and 5th wheels but the F-550 nose is longer than an E-350/450. Straddling that with the angle required doesn't appeal to me.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I agree the angle is not ideal ! Scaffolding would be much better, and probably safer!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote