Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

CO2 Levels too high

First winter owning a class c and was told by a few people to be careful because in our area we have lots of rodents and I should make sure I cover any opening into the RV to make sure none get it. So the genius that I am I covered the intake/exhause ports for the heater. No problem, except that my inlaws decided to come and visit during winter and they stayed in the rv. We turned everything on for them and ran the heater to get it warn. Long story short the heater wouldn't start, kept trying and trying and I could hear it trying to ignite but nothing. I finally realized the problem but again genius that I am I didn't let it air out first and removed the tape cover off the intake first and as soon as it took in some fresh air, boom! A rather large explosion happened that actually ripped the tape off the exhaust port. The heater began to work after that. It heated up right away, the problem is that right before they got here I go out to the rv to put some drinks and snacks in and I hear the new CO2 alarm going off like crazy, warning us to evacuate. Levels were at something like 180ppm. Of course we aired it out and ran an electric heater the entire time they were here. I figured I blew a crack in the heat exchanger or somewhere on the exhaust pipe. I finally got around to removing the heater today and find that what is actually broken is the plastic cover for the intake fan. It was cracked and pieces where laying inside. To the point that I think the plastic wheel was not spinning. Nothing else seems to be cracked. I checked inside the heat exchanger with an inspection camera and nothing. so my question to you guys is this, could that cracked fan housing be causing my extremely high c02 levels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	86196  
cessna1466u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
First off, it's CO (carbon monoxide) and not CO2 that is the problem. Both are by products of combustion but CO is formed when there is too little oxygen to support complete combustion.

Blowing the back off your furnace exhaust fan is allowing pure exhaust into your coach. You need to replace the fan but it would probably be a better idea to replace the furnace.

And this time, read the manual. In fact, you might want to read manuals on all the systems in your motorhome before someone gets hurt.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

Thanks Luvlabs for the chemistry lesson and the scolding. I have read the manuals its how I know how to use the fridge, the oven, etc. No where in the manual did it say to make sure you remove the tape you place over the intake vents to prevents rodents from getting in. The cover that it blew off is not the exhaust fan cover its the intake fan cover, the one that sucks fresh air in to heat up. I think your theory that there is not enough oxygen in the mixture is correct though, since it is not able to get fresh air from the outside it is using the CO infused air from the inside and adding more CO. I have ordered the parts which were around $30 for all including new gaskets. Will install them and run and test with detector and my buddies CO tester and see what reading we get. Thank you for the help.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Not to insult anyone's intelligence but I have found but using obnoxiously colored tape as a temporary cover on anything like a vent is a good way to give you a visual cue to remove before use. Adding a loop of tape makes it even more noticeable.
Just my personal experience
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Not to insult anyone's intelligence but I have found but using obnoxiously colored tape as a temporary cover on anything like a vent is a good way to give you a visual cue to remove before use. Adding a loop of tape makes it even more noticeable.
Just my personal experience
Steve

Thanks Steve, not a bad idea. I see they do that with airplanes to cover the pitot tubes and antennas. I wanted it to be water proof and all I had was chrome colored duct tape. It blended right in with the chrome colored vents....
Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
CO2 Levels too high

Looking forward to hearing the results after you do the fan housing replacement.

Some folks install screens to protect the fridge, water heater and furnace that can stay on 7x24 and during operation. Mud dauber wasps are a common pest as can be spiders, etc.

The Camco ones are of lower quality and some complain that they can clog.

These are some possibilities on Amazon that are stainless, inexpensive and well regarded. Search for below names for examples.

JCJ W-100 Mud Dauber Screen for RV Water Heater

JCJ M-300 Mud Dauber Screen for RV furnace Outside Fitting

JCJ R-600A Mud Dauber Screen for RV Refrigerator

Disclaimer: I've not needed to install them yet in my area, but will do so for good measure this spring.

There may be some on this forum that may not recommend them. I suggest also balancing that with reviews on Amazon and elsewhere when making an informed decision. Both together have been very helpful.