Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cold weather travel

Just downsized from class a pusher to 2019 Entegra Esteem. Doesn't appear to be very cold weather friendly. Heated tanks by pad on bottom that's about it, bottom isn't sealed. Concerned that that won't be enough for cross country in January. Anyone had any luck traveling in similar conditions with out winterizing.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 03:10 AM   #2

I would say that ours are similarly outfitted, and if not I would give the nod to yours over mine.
Last winter, our temps dropped to a low of about 0 to -5 and we had over 130 hours below freezing. I ran a 1500 watt oil heater, had the thermostat set at 50 (lowest) and had the foam board sheet installation covering the opening to the cab from coach and didn't have a problem. The January before we traveled from NC to Wakarusa and back with no issues. My only concern with your would be keeping the waste tanks totally empty or over 1/2 full to avoid freezing if you are travelling in temps in the mid 20's or lower. The tank pads work well at keeping the bottom of the tanks above freezing, but not much effect on the temps at the gate valves. If you are going to be parked for a period of time at below freezing, you may want to use supplemental heatingin the wet bay.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

If yours is like ours, the unit heater has a duct into the wet bay to keep warm. We head south usually in Jan from Jersey and no problem with dress water or waist tanks freezing. One place we stop on the way down in Maryland only has elec. It has been in the teens over night. The dash heat and the Drive train heat is enough driving down the road. Been do I,g this since 2012 and 94000 miles.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
No water bay on mine, hook ups on side, has exposed supply line and drain lines under motorhome. Was thinking I might be able to insulate and cover bottom, but don't think I could seal it. Driving Fl to Co in January, temps could be anywhere. Probably end up winterizing.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, travel