Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Post Comments Wanted

Greetings... My wife and I have been thinking about and now have decided to take the "plunge" and get an RV. We have looked at tons and believe that we want to stay with a Class C... and that is about it. We don't know much about brands, types or really anything about the RV life but are really excited to get to learn. Any help would be much appreciated. Cost of insurance, maintenance, value for using this often but not full time.

Thank you - fredandjess
fredandjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

The last Type C MH we had was purchased new in 1997 and traded for our first Type A in 1999 so I'm not a good resource regarding the newer ones.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a new Isata 3 (25foot Class C) built by Dynamax (division of Forest River) and love it. There is a whole thread here on Class C motor homes with lots of info and opinions there. You might want to check it our.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

We started with two class Cs and then three TTs. Biggest drawback to a MH is that you really have to toll another vehicle behind. Can't back up over a few feet and if you get in a tight spot you have to unhook. With a TT you can usually back up and get out of tight spots with a little practice. Otherwise we liked all our RVs.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

We are on our second Class C. The first was a 25' Forest River Solera. It had the Murphy Bed floorplan and we loved it, but after 5 years and 39,000 miles, we decided to get one just a bit longer. We just purchased a Winnebago Aspect and will be taking it out next week for a shake-down. We didn't tow with our first Class C and only missed not having a car a couple of times - and we rented a car for a few days both times. We love the Class C motorhomes!
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Are you looking at new or used? Brands in particular? Do you have any specific requirements? We came out of a new 2014 Thor Four Winds Super C and are now in a 2005 Class A. There are so many differences to talk about when considering new vs. used and A vs. C that I could write a book. If I know what your needs are, then I can talk about those.

For example, gas or diesel? Do you want to be able to turn the front two seats around to use as sitting space when entertaining? Is bling more important or overall quality? How much space do you want, how many adults need to sleep for example? Are you ok with a double bed, queen bed, or desire a king? Do you need to tow, and if so how much? And on, and on...
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredandjess View Post
.... value for using this often but not full time..

To me this is the million dollar question. We know they are going to sit and depreciate. If you don't buy new I think it's about 5% or so per year (give or take) All of this is making me consider spending less and less on a MH when I retire. Right now we have a very inexpensive and practical Tioga Class C.
You can't take it with you and there's no guarantee you'll be healthy if you wait until you can pay cash. To each his own..... good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know brands really but when we decided to take the plunge we looked at why we wanted one and what we wanted out of the whole RV experience. We are not real big camping people. If I were I would have opted for a travel trailer. We wanted the whole driving experience so a Class A was a no brainer for us.
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Choosing your RV

My wife and I are ages 66 and 70, respectively. We are part-time travelers. We currently own a 28 foot long Winnebago Minnie Winnie. It has a rear bedroom with a walk-around queen bed and a slide out living area. Power is V-10 gas. This configuration is ideal for us. Our previous RV was 24 feet long and had a "corner" bed. I do not recommend a corner bed for anyone under the age of 50! 🙄😳. I prefer the gas engine, because I perform my own maintenance and am familiar with its operation. IMO all mainstream brands are reliable and of comparable quality. The decision about what to buy is generally guided by the brands available, the coach configuration you like, and what you can afford.

"To travel is to live".

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

Floor plan
Floor plan
Floor plan

Find the one you like and then find all manufacturer's that offer that floor plan.
Go see them ALL.
Touch them. See them. Smell them.
Spend time in them. Think about where you are going to put the pots and pans.
Where are you going to put the silverware? Where's the cups going? How about the garbage can?
Sit on the potty. Can you do what you need to do on the potty?
Stand in the shower and shut the door. Do you have room to do what you need to do in the shower? Raise your arms? Can you wash your hair? Wash your body? Shave your legs?
Sit on the sofa. Put your feet up. Are you comfy? Can you comfortable see the TV?
Stand at the kitchen counter. Pretend you are making a meal. Is it functional and is there enough counter space?

Floor plan rules IMHO.
Find your floor plan and once you walk in them and spend some time, the manufacturer choice will become clear.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
Floor plan
Floor plan
Floor plan

Find the one you like and then find all manufacturer's that offer that floor plan.
Go see them ALL.
Touch them. See them. Smell them.
Spend time in them. Think about where you are going to put the pots and pans.
Where are you going to put the silverware? Where's the cups going? How about the garbage can?
Sit on the potty. Can you do what you need to do on the potty?
Stand in the shower and shut the door. Do you have room to do what you need to do in the shower? Raise your arms? Can you wash your hair? Wash your body? Shave your legs?
Sit on the sofa. Put your feet up. Are you comfy? Can you comfortable see the TV?
Stand at the kitchen counter. Pretend you are making a meal. Is it functional and is there enough counter space?

Floor plan rules IMHO.
Find your floor plan and once you walk in them and spend some time, the manufacturer choice will become clear.

GREAT advice!!
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #12

Perhaps the most important question in this discussion is what is your budget?
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fred & Jess

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Never had a class C so I'm no help. I just wanted to say hi.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

I don't post much, but had to chime in! Two years ago, my Fred and I purchased our first rv. We wanted one for recreational use, we figured a couple extended trips a year. We weren't sure we would even like it, so we decided to buy a used one, and if everything went well, we could always upgrade.
We researched floorplans, looked at a bunch, and agreed on our "must have's." We wanted gas (so Fred could work on it) a dedicated bed in the back (didn't want to climb ladders, or convert a couch to sleep) a shower tall enough for Fred, and no slide outs (the less things to break, the better!) Then we searched on line and looked at a bunch. We finally got a ten year old Fleetwood Jamboree 22b for $21k. We put another $3k in it, fixing a water leak (bring a moisture meter if you look at used ones!) The repairs weren't planned, but we're both extremely handy, and now we affectionately call her Pandora!
We love her! We've taken many trips in the last two years, and the one we just returned from in March was a four month, 19 state,15,500 mile trip! We've looked at new ones because we enjoy rving so much, but we love our Pandora, and can't find anything we love more.
Buying a small one really worked out great for us. We are so small there is no need to tow a vehicle. If we are camped somewhere and want to go out, we just unhook and go, and we can park her just about anywhere. We have experienced great luck finding rv sites because we are so small and don't tow anything most of the time. Plus, on our big cross country trip, most of our favorite drives were on roads that didn't allow vehicles over 30 feet!
So my advice to you is:
1. Figure out your list of "must have's."
2. Decide on a budget, and keep your skill sets in mind. (Don't buy a 10yr old rv if you aren't mechanically inclined and handy in other areas.)
3. Take the plunge! It's just money, and you can't take it with you!
Best of luck! Keep us posted.
obxmom is offline   Reply With Quote