Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #15

We got our first ever motor home last year and mainly got it for tailgating and picked up a 32 foot class C which our friends hardly ever used. All the extra's on it and only 13,000 miles. Loved it for tailgating and road trip football games. Camped in it a few times this summer and was good and took it on a fairly long trip to Colorado for a week and worked out real good. I'm glad I started with a C so I could get used to driving something fairly large and deciding if we liked it or not. Now we are going to sell it or trade it off and move up to a 40 foot DP after the football season.

Wife wants more room and I want a smoother quieter ride and something with more power when motoring down the interstate on trips. If I were you, I would for sure go with the Class C. Will be better to sleep your kids in there, it's new, and your wife likes it.

Good luck to you
tacomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #16

That 31 K looks like a real nice unit. With kids, a C is the way to go. The rug rat room over the front becomes their space. It is as big as a queen size bed and then some up!
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #17

The V-10 should handle your rig and give you good service, I just traded in F-250 with 205,000 miles, never touched the motor or transmission. My new Winnebago Vista has the V-10 and I expect the same miles.

My suggestion for you, noting the mention of KCBS comps, is to do a careful weight calculation on the planned loading of the C and the trailer with your BBQ equipment (I'm assuming you cook).

Where do you compete? My wife and I've judged Maine to Alabama.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
The V-10 should handle your rig and give you good service, I just traded in F-250 with 205,000 miles, never touched the motor or transmission. My new Winnebago Vista has the V-10 and I expect the same miles.

My suggestion for you, noting the mention of KCBS comps, is to do a careful weight calculation on the planned loading of the C and the trailer with your BBQ equipment (I'm assuming you cook).

Where do you compete? My wife and I've judged Maine to Alabama.
Will be towing a Jambo Pit J3. Just turned pro last year. Cooked in Fulton Ms last weekend 72 teams and we finished 1st in Ribs 6th overall. Going to Decatur Riverfest in two weeks. Mainly cook in Ala, Ms, and Ga. My mentor "South Pork" cooks all over and he is to blame for all this.

Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #19

Here is the layout.

Two things that draw me to this unit is the huge kitchen counter for my meat prep at competitions and the overhead bunk for the kids. Most kitchens on these C class units are tiny but this one is big and wide open. Plus you are getting three beds over 80" long.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #20

I too have a Sunseeker 3170 and we love it. No problems so far. Worth mentioning, the couch in the bunk area where the kids can watch TV, has lap belts. Ours is a 2014 and the lap belts were added in 2013.
The C class is close to weight capacity due to their chassis. The shipping weight was 12800lbs and the max is 14600lbs. 1800lbs of stuff, kids, people, water, food, beer.
Ours has a rear camera, and with the standard 2 view mirrors, I have no trouble. Looking back at, say 45deg angle, looking for traffic is a little difficult and does have a bit of a blind spot.

The A's have more weight capacity, probably have better view..

Good luck on yore decision.. And enjoy.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that rig would be great for you guys. And if I'm ever in AL, I will check out your barbeque.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well opinions are just that and here is mine.I am very surprised at all the recomendations for the Class C. Although Winnebago makes very nice units weather C or A, high end or lower end...here is my experience.

I bought a 2011 32' "C" brand new. Main reason was I am a right leg amputee and use my left foot for the accelerator and brake for everything that I drive. In a class A the steering column does not allow me to shift my prosthetic out of the way..."or so I thought". Going with the biggest C is what I thought I was stuck with. Also an A can be intimidating at first.

Now I know I should have tried. I drove a friends in the desert for about 5 minutes and knew I made a huge mistake. All I did and do is put my R Foot on the hump a little and use my left as usual. Point being is, they seem so much bigger to drive but in fact they do drive much easier with better visability, turning radius, interior living space is no comparision, as well as interior and exterior storage space with the slam shut doors, larger holding tanks for all fluids including gas and last there are so many more floorplan options in the entry level A market than can ever be in the C market.Due to the chassis. And one more thing CCC will always be more in a A, they have a larger chassis.

I think many people are intimidated as I was at first, don't be. Test drive one then have DW do the same. I believe you will be more comfortable if you do.

I ended up trading our C for a 2014 H R Vacationer 32wbd. It is on the 18k chassis. That was the right everything for us. Price, floorplan, etc. For you probably not. But I do think the Right "A" is out there for you. They have so many different bunk models out there especially in the entry level it is unreal. That is the fastest growing segment of the industry out there.

And last but not least is that just like the kids grow out of shoes so fast, they are growing so fast that before you know it they won't be sleeping together on the fun for now overhead bunk.

Just my 2 cents...well 2 bucks..

What ever you decide enjoy your travels, and Good Luck.....now can I get a rib? I'm hungry
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would take the Winnebago over a Thor any day of the week. The one big weakness of the larger class C units is the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) and the GVWR of the chassis.

A class A will usually have a higher CCC. But as noted, Thor is not well know for a quality unit.

What would work better for you is a nice 2 to 5 year old, gently used higher level class A rather than an entry level Thor.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #24

Good luck with whatever rig you choose. Next trip south to judge, we will look for your colorful smoker.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would take the Winnebago over a Thor any day of the week. The one big weakness of the larger class C units is the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) and the GVWR of the chassis.

A class A will usually have a higher CCC. But as noted, Thor is not well know for a quality unit.

What would work better for you is a nice 2 to 5 year old, gently used higher level class A rather than an entry level Thor.

Ken
Ken what would be a "Higher Level A"? I am a newb so I have no clue. I was ready to stroke a check for the ACE until the Sales Reps and service guys told me not to. They sell the heck out of them but they know the quality is not there and the new owners will be back to complain/trade. If not this C what A would you recommend?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #26

Found the Winnebago Class A Vista 31Ke that is the same layout as the Class C Minnie Winnie 31K. Now what?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
after ALL THE OPINIONS there is one point you should consider. In real Estate they say "Location, Location, Location is every thing. Same goes here. Floor plan, floor plan. that is where you will be living, prepping food for competition etc. From the inside if you like the living space / working space you'll never see the difference in a Class A or class C. No MFG is really that much better in quality control. you will have issues with everything. It is a small house on wheels. most of which can be fixed with a wrench or screw driver. One last thing. Remember if "Mom" is Happy everybody will be Happy". if she isn't Happy..... Good Luck and safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Found the Winnebago Class A Vista 31Ke that is the same layout as the Class C Minnie Winnie 31K. Now what?
Same story for us this year. Buy a small entry level class A or a "one step up" from entry level Class C. Personally, after the floor plans I don't see much difference. Maybe a family vote? Maybe comb over both and pick the one with the least detectable defects? I went for the class C, but in my case the CCC was 4100#, so that was off the table as a concern.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c, fuse