Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Conversation with Valterra About Blade Valves

I'm a complete newbie to the wonderful world of RVing, but I'm not so new to life or online discussion groups So, I hope what I post here will be of some value to others over time and I offer it by way of making a contribution to the forum which has in just a few short days since joining been of true value to me.

I took my maiden voyage in my new-to-me, albeit used, 2011 Coachmen Freelander 30 QB just the other day. (I've named her Charlene, BTW, in a nod to John Steinbeck's book Travels With Charlie.)

Anyway, upon returning from my trip I noticed a little moisture on the asphalt below Charlene. A quick glimpse revealed a leak from the 3" Valterra Bladex valve under the black water holding tank. I also noticed that one of the four bolts that attaches the valve was missing and the other 3 were loose. After replacing the missing bolt and snugging up all of them the leaking almost, but not quite stopped.

So, I decided I would replace the valve. I could have decided to replace just the gaskets, but if it turned out the valve needed replacement too it would be a whole major hassle to undertake all the driving to my not-so-local RV shop, my not-so-local RV storage yard and home to buy and install the valve after already having removed the old one once. It would be worth the $14 price of a new valve (which includes gaskets and bolts) just to avoid all the potential hassle of not doing so in the first place.

Upon arriving home with the new valve and opening the package I noticed there were gaps on either side of the blade which made me wonder if it was defective. I mean, how would a blade valve with holes in it do what it's intended to do? (I said I was a newbie. Ha!)

Rather than bug everybody at IRV2 and possibly receive differing opinions about the normalcy or not of this condition I contacted Valterra directly. Believe it or not I actually got differing opinions from them! The first opinion was that it was not a normal condition. This opinion was voiced by the person that answered the phone who saw the attached photo. Later I got a call from Kevin--who I took to be more senior in the tech department--that this is a normal condition. So, for others that may have the same concern as I did, about gaps on the sides of the blades, there's your answer, assuming, of course, Kevin was correct.

I had some other questions which I posed while speaking with Kevin of Valterra (kind of sounds like some sort of royal title when put that way: Kevin of Valterra… LOL).

I asked about using vaseline to hold the gaskets in place during installation and to condition them. He said no. He said to use a silicone based lube if anything at all. (The rep with whom I'd spoken previously said the gaskets were made from santoprene and buna, in case you're interested.)

I also asked about commercial and home brew valve lubricating products, the kind you add to the black and grey holding tanks. He said he hadn't tested any of them, and as such could not endorse any of them. He seemed to lean--and this is my personal assessment of his position--toward the don't-bother-with-them camp.

I asked about lubricating the shaft. Obviously these can weather with time and small particles of dirt and debris can adhere to the shaft and infiltrate the channel in which it rides thereby causing stiffness or stickiness. Again, Kevin recommended a silicone based lube. He said not to use WD40.

As to proper care and maintenance of Valterra Bladex valves, there really isn't much else to do beyond lubricating the shaft if it develops resistance. That's my recollection in regard to my conversation with Kevin.

When it comes to replacing either the gaskets or the entire valve, sometimes gaskets are enough. The condition of the blade, or paddle as Kevin called it, needs to be assessed by visual inspection. I think trying to describe what to look for would be beyond the scope of what can be accomplished here, at least by me, other than to say look for wear and tear that might interfere with the operation and effectiveness of the valve.

I'm attaching two photos: one of a Valterra 3" Bladex Valve, marked to show the gaps to which I referred above; the other is a shot taken at Henry Cowell Redwood Park in Felton CA. It was very near to the Santa Cruz Redwood RV Resort where I parked Charlene during my maiden voyage. That's me in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Henry_Cowell__D7K7273_4_5_fused_c.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	48789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bladex_Valve_Gaps_small.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	48790  

RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

What you have there is a defective valve. Any tech worth two cents can see that it is going to leak worse that a piquoe with a shotgun hole in the bottom. You would think that was common sense!
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
What you have there is a defective valve. Any tech worth two cents can see that it is going to leak worse that a piquoe with a shotgun hole in the bottom. You would think that was common sense!
I don't know. Kevin at Valterra says that's a normal condition.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRuss View Post
I'm a complete newbie to the wonderful world of RVing, but I'm not so new to life or online discussion groups So, I hope what I post here will be of some value to others over time and I offer it by way of making a contribution to the forum which has in just a few short days since joining been of true value to me.

I took my maiden voyage in my new-to-me, albeit used, 2011 Coachmen Freelander 30 QB just the other day. (I've named her Charlene, BTW, in a nod to John Steinbeck's book Travels With Charlie.)

Anyway, upon returning from my trip I noticed a little moisture on the asphalt below Charlene. A quick glimpse revealed a leak from the 3" Valterra Bladex valve under the black water holding tank. I also noticed that one of the four bolts that attaches the valve was missing and the other 3 were loose. After replacing the missing bolt and snugging up all of them the leaking almost, but not quite stopped.

So, I decided I would replace the valve. I could have decided to replace just the gaskets, but if it turned out the valve needed replacement too it would be a whole major hassle to undertake all the driving to my not-so-local RV shop, my not-so-local RV storage yard and home to buy and install the valve after already having removed the old one once. It would be worth the $14 price of a new valve (which includes gaskets and bolts) just to avoid all the potential hassle of not doing so in the first place.

Upon arriving home with the new valve and opening the package I noticed there were gaps on either side of the blade which made me wonder if it was defective. I mean, how would a blade valve with holes in it do what it's intended to do? (I said I was a newbie. Ha!)

Rather than bug everybody at IRV2 and possibly receive differing opinions about the normalcy or not of this condition I contacted Valterra directly. Believe it or not I actually got differing opinions from them! The first opinion was that it was not a normal condition. This opinion was voiced by the person that answered the phone who saw the attached photo. Later I got a call from Kevin--who I took to be more senior in the tech department--that this is a normal condition. So, for others that may have the same concern as I did, about gaps on the sides of the blades, there's your answer, assuming, of course, Kevin was correct.

I had some other questions which I posed while speaking with Kevin of Valterra (kind of sounds like some sort of royal title when put that way: Kevin of Valterra… LOL).

I asked about using vaseline to hold the gaskets in place during installation and to condition them. He said no. He said to use a silicone based lube if anything at all. (The rep with whom I'd spoken previously said the gaskets were made from santoprene and buna, in case you're interested.)

I also asked about commercial and home brew valve lubricating products, the kind you add to the black and grey holding tanks. He said he hadn't tested any of them, and as such could not endorse any of them. He seemed to lean--and this is my personal assessment of his position--toward the don't-bother-with-them camp.

I asked about lubricating the shaft. Obviously these can weather with time and small particles of dirt and debris can adhere to the shaft and infiltrate the channel in which it rides thereby causing stiffness or stickiness. Again, Kevin recommended a silicone based lube. He said not to use WD40.

As to proper care and maintenance of Valterra Bladex valves, there really isn't much else to do beyond lubricating the shaft if it develops resistance. That's my recollection in regard to my conversation with Kevin.

When it comes to replacing either the gaskets or the entire valve, sometimes gaskets are enough. The condition of the blade, or paddle as Kevin called it, needs to be assessed by visual inspection. I think trying to describe what to look for would be beyond the scope of what can be accomplished here, at least by me, other than to say look for wear and tear that might interfere with the operation and effectiveness of the valve.

I'm attaching two photos: one of a Valterra 3" Bladex Valve, marked to show the gaps to which I referred above; the other is a shot taken at Henry Cowell Redwood Park in Felton CA. It was very near to the Santa Cruz Redwood RV Resort where I parked Charlene during my maiden voyage. That's me in the photo.
The valve looks defective to me, I would go to your local rv supply and compare with others.
As to the parks you took pictures at, been there love it!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

Its normal. I have bought a few sets of the valterra valves and they were all like that. The gaps get captured from the flared pieces from the pipes on both sides.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

What's it look like with the gaskets installed?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The proof is in the pudding.

Did the valve leak after you replaced it?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The proof is in the pudding. Did the valve leak after you replaced it?
There's no pudding here The gaps on the sides of the blade are normal. If you really have any doubts about it you might wish to go look at new valves, take out your non-leaking valves and examine them, or contact Valterra. I haven't used my RV since replacing my old valve but should I have a leak I don't think it will be due to the gaps.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What's it look like with the gaskets installed?
Gaps are not visible with the gaskets in place. The gaps are a normal condition according to Valterra and my old valve has them too.

This matter has been settled. My thanks to all participants!
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
The valve looks defective to me, I would go to your local rv supply and compare with others. As to the parks you took pictures at, been there love it!!!
Turns out the gaps are normal.

This matter is settled.

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #11

Gaps are there until gaskets are installed, which, hopefully, all gaskets were used. Done many. I like Valterra valves, and rarely have issues with them. Issues are usually from junk getting in the blade tracks.
LaSalle Bristol valves are junk IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRuss View Post
Turns out the gaps are normal.

This matter is settled.

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion.
Why should the conversation be over? That's like lecturing and then opening for Q&A.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Gaps are there until gaskets are installed, which, hopefully, all gaskets were used. Done many. I like Valterra valves, and rarely have issues with them. Issues are usually from junk getting in the blade tracks.
LaSalle Bristol valves are junk IMO.

Why should the conversation be over? That's like lecturing and then opening for Q&A.
What I meant was that, pertaining to the gaps on either side of the blade in a Valterra blade valve, that this is a normal condition. As to that matter the discussion has been settled. This is a normal condition according to the manufacturer of the valve. Any debate or speculation that has to the normalcy or not of that condition would be a fool's errand. Beyond that, discuss away