Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Crazy Undocumented Electronics.. Please help

So I am new to a 2016 Coachman Freelander.. Some quirky electronics are making me nuts..

I am on shore power in my yard 7x24.. I use the RV as an office when home. I want to start the motor and let it run to operating temps about once a week.

When I do that strange electrical stuff happens.. I thought the Living quarters and the Truck electronics were separate..

For example..

When the engine is running and still connected to shore power, sometimes the slide WILL or WONT retract.. not sure of the combo.. But if I shut the motor the slide works.

Motor running on shore power and the outlet that runs the front overhead cab TV goes dead. Shut the motor, the outlet comes back to life. I assume this is some BS DOT safety measure.

Is there some sort of cheat sheet that shows all the combos? So far everything is trial and error..

The documentation on these things sucks so bad!
ChucksterCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

On our class c, if the chassis is running, the awning nor slide work is a safety thing. If the tv is within sight of the driver, it won't go on.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

yup, all that is “by design”
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
yup, all that is “by design”
Im ok with it being by design.. Just let me know about..
Undocumented Features is a nickname for the term "Bug"
I am going to have to compile my own chart..

If this is on then this must be off or that wont work.. etc..
Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
On our class c, if the chassis is running, the awning nor slide work is a safety thing. If the tv is within sight of the driver, it won't go on.

Thanks for the quick confirmation. so hopefully nothing I do will blow anything up either..

Like it took me a bit to figure out how to get to battery only power with the master battery switch. For Boondocking.

But I still have no idea what happens if the motor is running and the shore power if plugged in..
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

Motor running has nothing to do with shore power other then the engine alternator won't send anything to the house batterys. If you run the generator while connected to shore power, then the genny will take over for house power through the transfer switch. Genny has priority over shore power.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Owners Manual...read thru it ---might give you a clue how things work
https://forestriverinc.help/#/coachm...torhome/browse
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Motor running has nothing to do with shore power other then the engine alternator won't send anything to the house batterys. If you run the generator while connected to shore power, then the genny will take over for house power through the transfer switch. Genny has priority over shore power.

Hmm interesting.. I seem to remember trying the generator for the first time and was not getting any power to the RV.. Then I remembered that there was a outlet inside my power cord storage compartment. When I plugged it into the outlet I got power to the RV.. Seems that the Generator is more or less isolated from everything unless I plug into it.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Owners Manual...read thru it ---might give you a clue how things work
https://forestriverinc.help/#/coachm...torhome/browse

Yeah, saw that and even put the app on my phone.. Still completely useless.. I learned nothing from that manual.

They dont even cover the Master 12V switch for Boondocking.. no picture or even a reference on how to run off 12v.

In fact I keep it off because I have no idea if it should be on when connected to shore power..
Old 11-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucksterCF View Post
Hmm interesting.. I seem to remember trying the generator for the first time and was not getting any power to the RV.. Then I remembered that there was a outlet inside my power cord storage compartment. When I plugged it into the outlet I got power to the RV.. Seems that the Generator is more or less isolated from everything unless I plug into it.
Some have that set up. Mine has a built in transfer switch. Makes it nice if pouring rain and power goes out, just start the genny. One CG we go to is like that.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #11

Safety related designs.
Things you should not be doing while driving are locked out with engine running.
Your awning may not work either.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, saw that and even put the app on my phone.. Still completely useless.. I learned nothing from that manual.

They dont even cover the Master 12V switch for Boondocking.. no picture or even a reference on how to run off 12v.

In fact I keep it off because I have no idea if it should be on when connected to shore power..

You have a MANUAL transfer switch.....Gen power goes to that Outlet
For Gen to supply power to RV Panel you have to plug the shore power cord into that Gen Outlet.

As for the 12V Battery Disconnect switch
I hate the terms On--Off
Is ON disconnecting the battery or is OFF disconnecting them???

Any way.......you want the switch to ALLOW charging of batteries when AC Power is available (Shore/Gen)
And allow for Batteries to supply DC to RV when not on AC Power

Isolate the batteries when going into STORAGE.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #13

Someone that sold you this unit sure didn't do you any favors by not explaining how/showing the operation of everything.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So I am new to a 2016 Coachman Freelander.. Some quirky electronics are making me nuts..

I am on shore power in my yard 7x24.. I use the RV as an office when home. I want to start the motor and let it run to operating temps about once a week.

When I do that strange electrical stuff happens.. I thought the Living quarters and the Truck electronics were separate..

For example..

When the engine is running and still connected to shore power, sometimes the slide WILL or WONT retract.. not sure of the combo.. But if I shut the motor the slide works.

Motor running on shore power and the outlet that runs the front overhead cab TV goes dead. Shut the motor, the outlet comes back to life. I assume this is some BS DOT safety measure.

Is there some sort of cheat sheet that shows all the combos? So far everything is trial and error..

The documentation on these things sucks so bad!
Never heard or read of an accurate OM manual, (appear to be "terribly generic" or "worthless" :-)
but many slides (including Mine from 1999) INOP with engine running (I assume to prevent deploy during travel?) and Yes, there are DOT laws requiring MFR lockout of certain video features when traveling; many accomplish this thru parking brake interlocks. I CAN ONLY RECOMMEND KEEP INDEX CARDS HANDY to make temp signs/ notes