Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

Cross Trek 21XG vs Thor Gemini 23TW ?

Both of these MH are on the Ford Transit chassis
The Thor sells for about 10k more but has so much more space and features and it's actually a foot shorter.
I have test driven the Cross Trek and hopefully take a look at my 1st Gemini this weekend.

The only real plus for the Cross Trek is the pass thru in the back. Sure it's a great place to store your bicycles when your not sleeping but that's why you buy a bike rack and keep the bikes outside.

I can list all the pluses and minus of these 2 couches but would like instead to hear from others who have also studied or purchased one of these.

I am leaning towards the Cross Trek. It is so basic that I think I would have less problems because it does not have a slide out or generator. And yes, I did read about the inverter problems the factory is trying to sort out as well as the microwave falling out.

Also, do people actually prefer to not have a slide out?
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Spend as much time in both as you can, and really dig into the guts. Things like remove the bottom drawers and see how clean they are underneath - how wires, pipes, and ducts are run, and whatnot. Look underneath the coach and look for the same things. Use a flashlight!

I'm sure both look great on the "visible" side of everything, but you'll get a much better sense of the quality of each if you look into the parts that you don't normally see - until you have a problem.

Since both are on the relatively new Transit platform, neither will have a terribly long history, and you may not get many responses from owners. A quick search on "Thor Transit" and "Coachmen Transit" found very little.

You might want to look into each company generally to get a feel for their reputation and quality. I've owned a Thor Axis, but it was on the E350 platform so I can't provide any details on the Gemini. Searching the Forums for posts I've authored will give you my thoughts on Thor in general, should you be interested.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #3

I was really looking forward to the Crosstrek. I was very impressed with the ride, power, handling, and quietness of the coach going down the road. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with the interior quality of materials used. I realize they wish to stay within a certain price point. The interior just didn’t pass my standards.
Another option to consider is the 24 foot Coachmen Leprechaun 220 XG on the Chevy chassis. It has a larger rear cargo door, larger interior space, more comfortable cabin, nicer cabinets, and a large 12 volt refrigerator. Furthermore, in the coming year it will have the larger Chevy V8 with possibly other chassis changes. Personally, for these smaller class C rv’s I prefer the Chevy over the Ford. The cabin is much more comfortable along with better handling and a quieter power train.
In all rv’s there is always compromises to be made. I’ve been shopping for the last two years ; it’s not an easy decision. We want to keep it under 26 feet and preferably no slide out. We love the Leisure Travel Vans along with the Phoenix Cruisers. We just don’t like the price for how much we would use it.
An important feature for me in the Coachmen rv mentioned is the large 12 volt fridge
My driveway has a slope which prohibits pre cooling a typical absorption fridge. The slope is a little too steep to constantly mess with leveling blocks We live just blocks away from a large state beach and I would use the rv frequently for day outings, so I want to be able to cool the fridge the night before without leveling concerns. The fridge used in the Coachmen also requires very little power which is also appealing.
Winnebago just came out with a new Class C for semi off road use that is also interesting. However, the price is just ridiculous to me.

Just my thoughts...good luck with your decision.
Kenmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #4

Be careful with Coachmen. Nothing wrong with the Crosstrek but looks like 2021 is a old/new chassis overlap buildout. You might not be getting what you think you are getting. Their website doesn't answer most questions as specifications are minimalist at best. No note of engine size, performance, towing or anything. What the website does indicate is GVWR 10360/GCWR 12125 (prior generation chassis) where the Gemini/Compass have GVWR 11000/GCWR 15000 (new generation chassis). The old chassis may not have the 3.5 Ecoboost turbo that cranks out 310HP and 400 ftlb torque. The old chassis may have a 3.5 non-turbo or 3.7 with HP in the 250 range. That is a HUGE difference.

Appears may be on build date of Coachman with midyear changeover. Easy way to tell is looking at the grill. Coachmen brochure, and most 2021 videos reflect the 3 slat grill of the prior generation. With the new generation as seen on the Gemini, is open and enlarged. I did see one Coachmen dealer video with the enlarged grill, but was a fluff video with no details. Jumping the link to their dealership, they had two 21XG on the lot but they were one of each generation based on the grill photos, both 2021 models. Also, Ford upgraded/changed the dash and steering wheel on the new chassis, and added significant electronic safety features. Frankly, while both of these are on the 156" WB, the new chassis also come with a 178" wheelbase which potentially could be a Mercedes killer with the sprinter's 170" WB and and almost identical GVWR/GCWR to the new Ford. Unfortunately, LTV Wonder and the second floorplan on the Winnebago Ekko are the only ones built on the new Ford 178" WB. LTV had a two year build time on order, And Winnebago's starting $163K pricing on the Ekko actually succeded in making the LTV look inexpensive - even fully optioned out Wonder is around $150k!
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:40 PM   #5

I got to see the Thor Gemini today, kind of dumpy. It actually seemed smaller in the inside in the cross trek.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
I got to see the Thor Gemini today, kind of dumpy. It actually seemed smaller in the inside in the cross trek.
I agree with you. For some reason, Thor sticks with that bending mattress fold up bed with 'sitting platform' floorplan across it's Class C/RUV lines in lieu of a true murphybed/sofa on the same slide with dinette. At least it is a one piece mattress that bends and not a two piece hinged together - but frankly, I don't need a platform to tie my shoes. I can do that anywhere with or without a seat! The two Sprinter models have both floorplans which almost duplicate others. Thor is in a position to look at the Delano/Tiburon and know which floorplan outsells the other.. On a side note, the Gemini TT is worse. While it has a true murphy bed, it is either/or seating - one person turn in early, there goes your seating. The Gemini TW is far more flexible despite it's folding bed.

There is opportunity to be had with the marketing void on the new Ford Transit chassis. Now if only manufacturers take advantage of it. Consider Coachmen quietly discontinued in 2021 their other transit based RV - the Orion. Likewise the Winnebago Fuse. What if they re-tooled/returned them on the 178"WB chassis with more of a traditional RV focus rather than the sports/activity focus of the Cross Trek or Ekko.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

I just bought a 2020 Thor Gemini 23TW and I am reading the above comments with great interest!

Time and use will tell if we made the right decision.
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #8

Thanks for this detailed answer!
Old 02-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #9

What problems had you encountered with your new Gemini after a month of owning it. I'm still on the fence between Gemini and Cross Trek.
Cris D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris D View Post
What problems had you encountered with your new Gemini after a month of owning it. I'm still on the fence between Gemini and Cross Trek.
We actually bought a used 2020 Gemini, so most of the common RV "teething" problems were experienced by the prior owner, which is just the way I like it!...

I know they had problems with the placement of the clip that holds the right side of the mirrored doors in the bedroom closed. It was relocated at least 3 times! The clip is pretty stiff, hard plastic to begin with and I can appreciate the frustration in trying to deflect it enough to slide the door .open. Is it in the right spot now? don't know yet.

The screens on the windows over the dinette obviously take a beating if someone leans their back up against them to better watch the TV over the doorway. I think I'll need to replace the one on the right, towards the driver.

The floor in the rig is stainable. I don't know what they did, what they spilled, but there are some stains in the vinyl flooring that are visible in the right light.

As others have noted, the metal slides for most, if not all, of the drawers in the rig are pretty light-weight. A couple of them were pretty "sprung" when I first saw the coach but were repaired/replaced when I picked it up. I would not load 30lbs of barbells or canned stew or dogfood, whatever, in any drawer in the rig unless you beef-up the drawer slides.

Finally, the bed uses a Scandinavian-style wood slat system under the bed mattress. A big person putting their knee down on the bed quickly or without a little care can cause the unfortunate slat to break or splinter. The slat can be glued back together or moved to the head or foot of the bed out of harm's way, but you have only four possibilities to relocate splintered slats.

The chassis seems pretty robust and other than oil changes, has had no repair work done.

So, other than what you might need to do with a screwdriver, a few screws, and maybe a toothpick or two, I don't think there is anything too terrible that has happened to our rig.

Remember, YMMV!
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor