Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Cummins Onan Generator RV QG 4000

I have 6 year old Winnebago and its new to me. The generator was not operated at all last year. I started it this week and it runs 23 minutes and stops. After cooling it will repeat that start / stop sequence the code is 33. Oil is full and clearn, gas is over half a tank and fresh.
Im wondering whats wrong
gbradleync is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Commercial Member

generator

I take it you have a 4ky generator. There is no overheat protection on that generator. There is a low oil pressure switch but that is it. When checking a gen unplug the remote start and turn off the breaker see if this changed anything. It is possible that fuel pump is shutting down. First test though is see if it will run with breaker off.
okrvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

33 is not a valid code see manual in the link.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/.../981-0159D.pdf

irish65
13 View PG
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #4

generator

with circuit breaker and not open the same problem. Someone said to me that the "coil?" or some other electronic part was probably overheating? Also as I read on line the Cummins people seem to suggest that you add a produce to the gas and run it. (Although in the future hat would make sense it seems to me tat if it runs 23 minutes thats not the problem now (i.e. varnish) So fuel pump or overheating electronic part I wonder how to isolate
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #5

Sounds familiar. Not sure if your genny is the same as mine, but we had the exact same "Run-heat-stall-cool-run-heat-stall" situation but ours took around 10 minutes. An Onan service center tech sat and watched the thing run (with roof A/C operating) until it stalled, then checked continuity at the solid state spark module (coil). This gadget worked OK until it got hot, then shut down power to the spark plug. A new module (around $70) solved the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbradleync View Post
with circuit breaker and not open the same problem. Someone said to me that the "coil?" or some other electronic part was probably overheating? Also as I read on line the Cummins people seem to suggest that you add a produce to the gas and run it. (Although in the future hat would make sense it seems to me tat if it runs 23 minutes thats not the problem now (i.e. varnish) So fuel pump or overheating electronic part I wonder how to isolate
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had the same problem with our onan. In the shop now. They had to replace the bearings and the bushings in the starter. Maybe they can check yours! Hope this helps.
echohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

onan generator problem

Thanks everyone. I think I have a few ideas to work on. I ll start by replacing the coil. If the fails then off to the Cummins tech people.
happy rving
Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

My son who has been working on motor homes for about 19 years, just happened to mention earlier this evening, a MH they had in the shop with the same generator issue. In that case the fuel pump was the problem.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Commercial Member

I don't think you know where coil is. Use a spark tester to check coil. You don't want to go there. Try everything outside before you crack it open. The control board is located under starter solenoid.
okrvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the problem with starting fine, running about ten minutes, and then shutting down. Then it wouldn't start for a long while. Took it to Cummins in Coburg, OR. They said it was the fuel pump, replaced it, and I used it snowbirding in AZ every day while dry-camping. Must have been the problem. They gave me the old fuel pump.

classcrv
classcrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #11

Intermittent generator

2008 Onan generator intermittent starting problem, fuel pump was replaced twice before the problem was solved. Apparently there was a bad batch of fuel pumps.
aeroshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #12

Thanks after all these ideas I decided this is over my head and so I will be taking it to a dealer to be repaired Ill post the results.
thanks everyone

Tags
cummins, generator, onan