Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #1

Dead chassis battery often

Has anyone installed a (Trik-L-Start) to avoid dead motor battery after sitting a couple of days?? Winnebago says to disconnect battery at a location near the gas pedal but have to wait 10 minutes before doing that. Then of course the door locks no longer work and you have to be real agile to reach the quick disconnect plug and of course reconnect before using next time.
If you have solar panel then this is a great unit and the chassis battery is kept fully charged from the Coach battery. I called Winnebago and they support this after market device. I have contacted my MB Service and they are looking into it. Of course I could continue to use the battery boost but I understand the the Chassis battery will be wasted after going dead several.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Could you provide more info on your coach .
Is the coach stored where you have access to power 24/7 ?

Right now all we know is Winnebago , Class C.
Year and model , will help you get good answers.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #3

If the battery drains that fast, then something is being left on that's using power or there's something wrong that needs to be fixed.

Our chassis battery goes dead after a while too, but not in 2 days. A couple, maybe three weeks and it won't have enough juice to crank the engine. I ended up installing a battery disconnect switch next to the battery and haven't had any problems since.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is a known problem with the Sprinter type RVs. My Class C also has a large parasitic draw on the chassis battery. I tried a trickle charger without success. Finally I put a knife switch on the battery and disconnect it. Even after sitting for 4 months the engine starts on the first try. It's much easier to reach the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20138...s_a_1_4&sr=8-4
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 AM   #6

Was there a question in there somewhere?
Winnebago started installing them around 2006 in Diesels. There are Parasitic draws all over the place but one of the biggest issues was that the Chassis (starting) batteries were not getting charged when plugged in. That solved THAT problem, but remember it doesn't fix the parasitic coach and Chassis draws when in storage. That's why god invented solar..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #7

Mine is a 2017 24J View. I have 1 100w solar panel so I am pretty sure the Trik-l-start will work and all the batteries will be charged to full level when parked.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, the Trik-L-Start is the answer. Even if you don't have solar, it will do the same thing if you keep the coach plugged in.

For those of you with big diesel pushers, you can use the Amp-L-Start system which provides up to 15 amps of charging to your chassis batteries.

Just a hint: Don't call Mercedes - they are clueless unless it is an engine problem. Their usual answer is those "blank" upfitters are always breaking our chassis.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #9

Always love your posts and loaded with good info. MB does try and so far have solved a major problem with my WBO 2017 24J
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

I have had one installed for 3 years and have no problem with the chassis battery going down. I installed it myself as it is very easy. It connects to both sides of the solenoid which is under the right seat which you remove or with the battery connect switch and the solenoid. There are two ways to install it depending on how you are charging the coach batteries. You can find information on the Navion / View yahoo website. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion/info
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #11

Well actually it was a couple of weeks and then after boost to start. Battery not getting charged enough to restart. Very hot here in California so don't want to idle too long.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

At some point in time we all end up with a low or dead battery.

I always carry a traditional car battery charger. Mine is this model:

SE-1052 - Schumacher Electric

It is a simple and robust transformer style charger (10 Lbs. weight), not like the new fancy "Automatic" chargers that are lightweight and prone to failure. Mine has gotten regular use for almost 20 years and still works fine.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
At some point in time we all end up with a low or dead battery.

I always carry a traditional car battery charger. Mine is this model:

SE-1052 - Schumacher Electric

It is a simple and robust transformer style charger (10 Lbs. weight), not like the new fancy "Automatic" chargers that are lightweight and prone to failure. Mine has gotten regular use for almost 20 years and still works fine.
I carry a similar charger for the past 13 years and have had to use it a couple times. One time on a coast to coast trip my toad alternator went bad so every night I had to charge the battery. Same trip my transmission in the toad bit the dust.
One of those "Fun" trips you never forget.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis