Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Dealer questions

Just joined the forum and I must say that this is a great source of info. We are shopping for a class c with a 6cyl diesal. I have come across many with v10 but the 7-9mpg would drink up my retirement. We looked at a 2011 coachman prisim with 18000 miles and the floor plan with the rear bed was very comfortable for us. We will be traveling about 3-4 months and have 2 small pets so the class c would suite us. We live in CT and the closest dealer is FLAGG RV in Mass. also Camping World in Berkly Mass. Has any one done any business with either of these two.
BROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Good luck in finding your rv. I think 7-10 mpg is really pretty good for mileage on any good size mh.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club

Best of luck in your search, great to have you with us.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here.

Good luck with your search.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Having had both gas and diesel, unless you are driving more than the normal(if that can ever be) RVer the gas fuel verses diesel is mute, The diesel maintenance(if done) will eat up the fuel savings. The V10 is a great motor and even pulling a toad will do well.

LEN
Old 03-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A gas Class C should get a bit better milage than 7-9. Maybe 8-11 on a smaller Class C, like the Prism. The Prism is built on the Sprinter chassis and is only offered as a V6 diesel. It should return around 14-16 mpg (regardless of what the dealer may tell you). You may only travel 4-5000 miles per year. The fuel cost difference between 10 mpg gas to 16 mpg is negligible. The Sprinter Class C will cost significantly more than a similar sized gas Class C. It would take many miles/years to make up the cost difference in fuel savings. A Sprinter-based Class C will be cargo limited to around 1100 to 1300 lbs. Check the yellow weight sticker (often on a door panel or jamb) before you buy! This includes passengers, water, food, clothes, tools, and everything you might need for 3 to 4 months traveling. I add about 3000 lbs in my 36 foot gas Class A for our annual NH to FL 5 month trip. BTW, since we bought a house in FL, we no longer need the Class A. When we return from FL, I'm planning on selling the Class A and buy a Sprinter-based Class B+ or C. Most likely it will be a Winnebago product. It provides a good price to feature trade off.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROY View Post
....We are shopping for a class c with a 6cyl diesal. I have come across many with v10 but the 7-9mpg would drink up my retirement. We looked at a 2011 coachman....
For 5,000 mile/year usage and a gas Class C at 10 mpg and a Sprinter Class C at 16 mpg, the difference in fuel costs is under $200/year for fuel prices in your area. The Sprinter would cost less for fuel. A small gas engined Class C could easily cost $10,000 less than a Sprinter-based Class C. It would take about 50 years to amortize the cost difference, based on fuel savings alone.

The Sprinter chassis changed pollution controls in, I believe, 2010. The newer ones use DEF and have more HP and torque. They may also get slightly better fuel mileage. Check the chassis date (not motorhome year) to see if it is at least this new. It should also have a DEF fill port.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
A small gas engined Class C could easily cost $10,000 less than a Sprinter-based Class C. It would take about 50 years to amortize the cost difference, based on fuel savings alone.

I think you're vastly under-rating the cost difference between gas and diesel. I don't recall seeing a Euro-chassis based C any bigger than 24', on the other hand, you could get a +27' gasser for +$20k less, or spend the same and have a 31' unit.

As was stated previously, the initial cost, especially if it's being financed, will never be recouped on fuel economy unless you're driving FAR above what the average user does.

When I did the calculations a few years back I figured with my driving about 20,000 - 25,000 miles a year the diesel was still far more expensive.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Murf2u...you're absolutely correct. I was trying to give the OP a simplistic price differential to show him gas mileage is not a show stopper. He was looking at a Prism, which is a Sprinter-based 24-25 foot Class C. I wasn't sure if he was looking for anything larger. If it were me I'd be looking for something bigger to live in for 3-4 months!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
BROY you have more dealers in your area, Arlington near Compton has a good selection and Campers Inn in Union CT, I have found Flaggs a little expensive and friends have had mixed reviews on their service. I bought mine thru an online dealer then drove to NY to pick it up. RVDIRECT.COM and RVWHOLESALERS.COM are ntwo I used to get a better idea of pricing before I looked at the dealers lot. I ended up buying thru RVDIRECT. Saved $7000 for my rig. I also took the chance that nothing major would require warrenty work. Most not all dealers would put you back of the line if you dont buy from them if theyd take you at all.
As far as gas vs diesel I felt it was a toss up each have their following. My coach was $13000 cheaper than the diesel I was looking at so for me it was a no brainer. Hope to see you out on the Hiways
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer