Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel?

I have been looking at Class C used units. Most are GM 8.1 and Ford V-10's. Did they make any with the Diesel motors?
bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #2

Mercedes Sprinter
BugOutRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thor Four Winds on the Ford 550 chassis had a diesel.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Older ford powered E450's 2005 to 2008, they are out there,pretty rare.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

TheE350/450 was available with diesel for years, many ambulances were diesel powered. Motorhomes not so much, Born Free, and Bigfoot had diesels in some rigs but as noted, not very common. When Ford went to the 6.7L in house designed diesel, it was too big to fit, so they dropped it, you really don't want one with a 6.0 or 6.4 International motor.

You might find a Chevy/GMC Savannah/Express 3500/4500 with a Duramax, it was available from '06 to '16 in that chassis, don't know if any motorhomes were actually built on the Savannah/Express chassis with the Duramax however.

And yes, Sprinters are diesel except for the rare 3.5L gas engine used in 2008. I had a Winnebago View on the earlier 5 cyl Sprinter T1N chassis. Most are built on the later NCV3 chassis with the 3.0L V6.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

Super C is what you are asking about. Jayco makes a couple of models. Thor has at least one model. Nexus has a couple of models. They are pretty big compared to other Class Cs.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We enjoyed our Sprinter Class C diesel. Isata 3
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
What size are you interested in? The Sprinters aren't very big, less than 27ft I believe, and mine is 25ft. But it's diesel.

Larger than that, it's slim pickings. The Super C's mentioned about are all over 30ft.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #9

Just something to think about. Do you want a diesel or do you need a diesel? The reason I'm asking is for service reasons and price. The Sprinter chassis does come with a diesel but about the only places that will service it are Mercedes dealers and not all of them. If you need a diesel you should probably be looking at Super Cs. I am most familiar with the Nexus line and a little bit of the Jayco line. Some of the older Jayco Senecas were on a GMC chassis with a diesel but they have a somewhat limited tow capacity, I think 6,000 lbs., but it could be more or less. The newer Senecas are on a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 6.7 if I'm not mistaken. I bought a Nexus Ghost because of the air ride and a couple of other things. The Nexus line includes the Truimph, the Wraith, the Rebel (4x4 and new this year) and the Ghost. The Triumph and the Wraith are essentially the same coach with the Wraith having upgraded components and full body paint. You can get the Triumph with full body paint but at that point you're within spitting distance of a Wraith. I have heard some complaints about the rear springs in the Wraith being a little on the light side. I imagine the same would go for the Triumph. If you go to the Wandering Wagners on facebook they have a video on their spring upgrade and the price. Personally I think you could probably just add a leaf or two to the factory springs and get the same result for less money. Maybe a Sumo spring or Timbrens might work if they are available. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #10

I first started lusting over the Thor Super Cs 3-4 years ago. They are built on the Ford F-550 chassis, with the 6.7 Diesel. There are two lines, the Magnitude and the Omni, but they only differ in paint schemes. There are 3 floor plans, ranging from 33 feet, to 35 feet (I think).

The point is, you may be able to find a used one, but only a few years old. And from what I have seen, the used ones are MORE expensive than new, because they are available. New ones have a significant wait time.

Now the bad news; I bought a brand new Omni XG32 in January, and have yet to make a trip in it where everything works. Driving it has been fantastic, with plenty of power for climbing mountain summits, and about 11.5 mpg overall. But it has been parked, completely unusable, for well over a month, and at the dealership for repair for 3 weeks, with multiple failures (generator, slides, water heater, leveling system, etc.). In defense of the dealer, the entire industry (at least here in California) has a major shortage of technicians (Thor told me that nobody wants to work when they can stay home and get enhanced unemployment). By the same token, I am sure I got bumped to the end of the line when I complained!

So, tread lightly and check your pulse rate frequently!! RVing is not for the faint of heart!
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
I have been looking at Class C used units. Most are GM 8.1 and Ford V-10's. Did they make any with the Diesel motors?
This link shows some Thor Four Winds and Chateaus for sale.
https://www.rvtrader.com/Used-Thor-M...uelType=diesel
When I was looking at them in 2015 or 2016 they just called them Class C diesel, now it seems important to call them "Super C". They come on the Ford Chassis with the Ford diesel engine.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
(Thor told me that nobody wants to work when they can stay home and get enhanced unemployment).
Hmm.... Maybe "thor" told you something that also benefits them in keeping the lie going, that unemployment (which is ALWAYS at 75% or less of what you normally made) is "more" than what the workers were making.... Because the employers don't want to discuss pay raises for the workers?

If it's hard to find employees, then increase the pay or benefits to entice them to come work for you.

Also, facts: The sectors that had the HIGHEST job growth recently were the LOWEST PAID (restaurant workers, etc) which puts the lie to this chamber-of-commerce nonsense that people are staying home on unemployment. It just is not happening, yet "certain" news sources continue to spew this twaddle.

Maybe the business interests who want employees and can't find them should consider backing off on their own profit margin for a change. RV techs are SKILLED employees and certainly not minimum wage. It's going to cost to pay them what they are worth.

Thor is WELL KNOWN for cheaping out on everything other than the sale price, so hearing that they can't find techs is no shock, honestly. Their coaches are shiny, but everything under that shine is built in a hurry by the lowest bidder.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Hmm.... Maybe "thor" told you something that also benefits them in keeping the lie going, that unemployment (which is ALWAYS at 75% or less of what you normally made) is "more" than what the workers were making.... Because the employers don't want to discuss pay raises for the workers?

If it's hard to find employees, then increase the pay or benefits to entice them to come work for you.

Also, facts: The sectors that had the HIGHEST job growth recently were the LOWEST PAID (restaurant workers, etc) which puts the lie to this chamber-of-commerce nonsense that people are staying home on unemployment. It just is not happening, yet "certain" news sources continue to spew this twaddle.

Maybe the business interests who want employees and can't find them should consider backing off on their own profit margin for a change. RV techs are SKILLED employees and certainly not minimum wage. It's going to cost to pay them what they are worth.

Thor is WELL KNOWN for cheaping out on everything other than the sale price, so hearing that they can't find techs is no shock, honestly. Their coaches are shiny, but everything under that shine is built in a hurry by the lowest bidder.
I totally agree with you as far as supply and demand is concerned. If dealers can't find qualified tech, they should offer more money.

But the other aspect is also valid. Check out this article from the US Chamber of Commerce: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...BingNewsSearch
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #14

"the other aspect is also valid" is debatable, when the source is a lobbying group rather than a researching group of academics with nothing to gain.

https://news.yale.edu/2020/07/27/yal...uce-employment

https://www.brookings.edu/research/d...e-on-steroids/

Thus ends the politics.

Tags
diesel