Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Diesel startup after storage

We bought our 2015 used Navion diesel in November and haven't started it up since mid-December. We live in Massachusetts. I read something about getting oil in the engine before starting it úp, but not being a mechanic I couldn't understand how to do it. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks
Chris Giv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

You could pull the fuel pump fuse FSOL and crank the engine until the oil pressure gauge shows oil pressure.
toyotech358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think it's worth worrying about. Many Diesel engines sit for months without use. This is typical with a lot of construction equipment up north during the winter. The engine will far outlive your use in an RV.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I don't think it's worth worrying about. Many Diesel engines sit for months without use. This is typical with a lot of construction equipment up north during the winter. The engine will far outlive your use in an RV.
Amen to that.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
x3 just crank her up and LET HER IDLE for the first 2-3 minutes.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #6

I do my oil changes just before winter begins so it has clean oil in it while it sits. Just crank and go in the spring.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Where do they come up with this stuff. I had a Blue Bird Wanderlodge that would start by just looking at the key, no matter how long it was sitting, no electronic crap and never had a problem with it. The unit I have now is newer and has all kind of electronic crap and it cranks for a while before it kicks off. Reason being the electronic system runs a few checks one being to make sure there is oil pressure before the fuel is applied. Like someone else mentioned "start it up and let it idle for a minute".
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
but I'm sure you know, to just first turn the key on without starting, let the wait to start light go out...
then start and be easy - treat it like I have to treat my knees after sitting down for a while.... let them warm up first
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You have a 3 L Mercedes diesel and no, it doesn't have an oil pressure gauge and yes it has a DPF and DEF system. Technology wise, it's way ahead of most of the engines mentioned in previous posts.

So, before you start it, check the oil level with the dipstick, stick the key in and turn, wait until the glow plug light goes out, and turn the key the rest of the way to start. Let it idle a minute or two, put it in gear and drive away.

Sprinters have very short lived batteries so you might have to jump it or use the boost switch to get your house batteries connected if it has been sitting more than 3-4 weeks.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #10

Sprinters have a battery disconnect above the gas peddle. When I leave mine for two or more weeks, I shut it down wait 10 min. Do my other stuff, shut off the coach batteries. This will keep the cab battery charged.
KH 2015 View G
Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Why not ask your maintenance shop for their recommendations?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check fluids. Start it up. Done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #13

I try to run my MB 3.0 about once a month for a few minutes. I do nothing special before starting it. The only time I have had a chassis battery issue was when I left one of the maps lights on in the cab. The battery ran down enough so the engine would not turn over. Charged the battery and all was good. I reallyt like the battery jump/charge set up under the hood.
sarmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you read most manufacturers recommendations they will state not to start the engine occasionally. Only to start it if you can drive it long enough to get the engine and transmission up to normal over the road operating temps. These temps cannot be achieved by starting and idling, especially during colder weather.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, storage