Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
dip stick

I went to check my trans fluid level on my 2008 View. I know my eyesight
taint what it was a few years back, but I searched high and low ,then ,low and high again, still cant find it . I even looked in the owners manual,still no luck.

I know it's right in front of me ,I just can't see it. HELP,please .

John M
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Check with the manufacturer( is that a Mercedes engine/transmission), some of the foreign cars now come with sealed transmissions that require no maintenance, oil changes ect for the life of the transmission. When we bought our 2006 Toyota 4Runner, I searched all over for the trans fluid dipstick and could not find it. When I was at the dealer buying parts for an oil change I asked a mechanic to show me where it was, and he was the one who told me it was a sealed unit and no need to service it unless there was an actual transmission problem or leak. So 125,000 miles later, still runs like a clock and no issues. We are just keeping(as our third car) it to see how long it will last.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

My 2011 F150 with 5.0 V-8 has no transmission dipstick. Sealed unit.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike and Cha
I had a feeling ,that might be the case.
Thanks loads ,now I can cancel my appointment ,with the eye doctor.

Have a great forth.

John M
Old 07-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

From what I have heard, there is still a place for a dipstcck, only it is covered with a rubber plug. Now the computer keeps track of fluid level but if you want one you can purchase from dealer. That probably saved them another $1. 😀😀😀

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

You need to purchase a dipstick.

Mercedes 722.6 transmission dipstick

You will also need new locks for the plastic cap.

Dipstick tube cap locks

You break off the tab, and push the lock out the bottom of the cap alonside the dipstick tube. When you pull the cap off, the o-ring is prone to sticking to the mouth of the tube, be very careful to not lose the o-ring. I wrap my fingers around the bottom of the cap to catch it as the cap comes off.

Open hood, tube is fairly far forward, close to you, your LH side, (vehicle right) Kinda out of sight.

Make sure end of dipstick is straight and not bent (it is plastic) and then insert it, carefully, till it stops but don't force it. The stops are inside the transmission, it does not stop at dipstick tube, there will be a little bit of dipstick still sticking out of the tube. It does not seat on the tube like an American transmission dipstick does. Transmission is best checked full hot. If you do not know the temp you will have problems setting the fluid level. it is very dependent on temperature.

Use ONLY approve fluids. Fuchs Titan AFT 4134, Shell ATF 134, proper Mercedes fluid meeting spec 236.14, Mopar Sprinter/Crossfire transmission fluid p/n 05127382AB. Other fluids will damage transmission. Worn out fluid will cause "rumble strip noise" and shorten the life of the transmission dramatically. Keep fresh fluid in it and keep it cool.

fluid must use the word APPROVED when stating the spec number. Stating that it MEETS is not actual approval and is suspect. Mercedes is down to 40,000 mile recommended change interval, you would do well to change it at 20,000 miles and make sure the converter is drained along with the pan fluid. It will need about 8 quarts.

There is an electrical plug pass thru that leaks on these, and causes lots of problems. It is cheap and easy to change, best done while transmission is drained.

Transmission electrical connector sleeve

Original ones have a soft semi clear o-rings on them that are prone to leaking.

Charles
Old 07-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Mercedes considers the dipstick a TOOL and not part of the vehicle, that is why it is not on the vehicle permanently. This is true of all of the 722.6 NAG1 transmissions, used in Mercedes autos, Sprinters, Chrysler products, and elsewhere, except for the JEEP Grand Cherokee, which has a permanent dipstick.

Charles
Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #8

Just a small correction from something said above. Transmissions are in fact sealed in a lot of newer vehicles and manufacturers give them the 'lifetime' fluid tag, but don't be fooled. They mean for the life of the transmission, which means until it dies. Then you get to buy another one from them, which they are happy to sell you, unless you were smart enough to overlook this silly tag and change your fluid like you should've. Once again, lifetime to the manufacturers and dealers means the until it's life is over, it doesn't mean you won't get more 'life' out of it if you change it! Automotive fluids do NOT just last forever, no matter how advanced. Don't be fooled!

ENGINE OIL IS DIFFERENT! there are no sealed crank cases as stated above. Some have no dipstick but they still have a drain plug, filter and fluid fill port. Your engine oil filters out all the combustion waste and dirt you sucked in through your intake. There will never be 'lifetime' engine oil, in any engine that I know of. If manufacturers choose to start labeling it as so, once again it will simply be for the lifetime of the engine, when they will once again be more than happy to sell you premature replacement!

I've been playing with BMWs for years and there is much banter over this subject since they have long since gone with 'lifetime' tranny fluid, engines with no dipstick and 15k oil change recommendations. No experienced mechanic would ever recommend any of these, even with synthetics. Talk to one who DOESN'T work for a dealer.

I hope this helps someone. Sorry for the long post and rant but in our disposable society there are ways you can save yourself a lot of money and heartbeats the manufacturers would love to take from you.
86scotty is offline   Reply With Quote