Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Direct TV

We have a new unity ltv and have a satellite with direct tv . How has that worked for other people
EdJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not totally sure what your asking! Better detail would help. That said, I am using Dish / an a Wally and a walk out tail gator satellite using a monthly Dish for RV plan! When home I just don’t pay an it quits for the period of non use! At home though I have DirectTv, better access to the satellites! DirectTV does not offer a RV plan an plenty of folks just walk out their home receiver to the RV an go! But you travel out over 200 miles you lose the locals! You need to call Direct to reset your receiver to again get Local’s! With Dish I just use their iPhone app an Change the zip code an new locals start coming in! Very user friendly. Hope that helps some
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

My Directv works fine....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

Most of us with use DNS (distant network service) which gives all five networks anywhere in the us. ATT now lets you change your service location on "my DirecTV" if you want locals where you are parked. It is still the best way to get all the sports channels
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This is the first time I have heard you could change DTV locals in an app. Hope it is correct.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:55 AM   #6

I use Directv with a king portable, I just use a reciver from home it free then for the RV. True I don't get locals over 200 miles, but I just use OTA for that. I don't watch that much TV so it's fine for me.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

Direct TV

I have the Winegard T4 on my Dynamax Isata 3 and a Dish Wally for the receiver. Dish makes it easy to turn service on and off when needed through their app. They are the only ones with “pay as you go” service of which I am aware.

You can also change your channel packages easily through the app. Support has been good to work with, just make sure you call Dish Outdoors and not the regular Dish Cust Svc.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #8

Admittedly the DirecTV customers really suffered when ATT bought DirecTV. I an happy to report most of the problems are gone. DirecTV offers Local Channel Connector which puts over the air channels on the genies complete with channel guides. This was done when DirecTV was in contract negotiations with some local channels but with a mobile account you can purchase one. Secondly ATT is again allowing the old DirecTV program where your service can be suspended for up to 90 days at a time for an maximum of four times a calendar year (at least the sales agent told me it is back). I use the same service at home and on the road so I never have had the need to suspend my services.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:07 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. What I’m asking is are people happy with Direct tv for their Rv. We have direct at home and find it works well. Gljurczyk How do you use a receiver from home in the RV? Do you still get all the same channels? I assume not local?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJodi View Post
Thanks for the info. What I’m asking is are people happy with Direct tv for their Rv. We have direct at home and find it works well. Gljurczyk How do you use a receiver from home in the RV? Do you still get all the same channels? I assume not local?
Yes it works the same as home, except without local channels if I am over 200 miles from home, it's free for your RV. You are only paying for your home package, same package you get when you take it with you. Once in awhile I have to call them and have a new signal sent to the box, but not many at all. Just make sure the box will work with your satilight dish. That's easy to find out from the dish manufacturer. Hope that helps you...
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
... Once in awhile I have to call them and have a new signal sent to the box, but not many at all...
I have DirecTV and and use a receiver from home as well. No locals, but OTA is fine for that. If you haven't used a box for maybe 30 days and it isn't authenticated you can also "send a new signal to the box" by logging into your account on the web and selecting "refresh receiver" for the box in question. Takes only seconds. DirecTV sends enabling messages to all the boxes in use but with maybe 20,000,000 of them, it takes a while for yours to get the message. Refresh receiver on the web bumps your box to the top of the list and it is instantly refreshed.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Most of us with use DNS (distant network service) which gives all five networks anywhere in the us. ATT now lets you change your service location on "my DirecTV" if you want locals where you are parked. It is still the best way to get all the sports channels
Where on the DirecTV app is the " Change your Service location" info ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Where on the DirecTV app is the " Change your Service location" info ?
Go to "contact info". Listed in the contact info are your billing address and service address. Under your service address is (edit and plan your move). You must have a mobile service account to use the edit option. You also have to a mobile account to subscribe to Distance Network Service (DNS).
Old 03-20-2019, 04:46 AM   #14

Thanks for all the info. Our 1st trip in the new rv will be a local park so that will be a perfect time to try out taking a receiver from home.