Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Disabled Veteran 100% SC seeking Comfortable RVing, yet on the Cheap?

I am a disabled veteran (100% SC) that is seeking comfortable RVing (Class C), yet as cheap as possible. Does anyone have ideas about how to achieve this kind of RV / motor home adventure?

I am new to RVing and have a strong desire to travel the US and abroad. Are there any bargain camp sites out there?

Thanks allot.

James
abnjim6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

James, Can't answer your question exactly, but welcome to the forum and good luck.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you.

I too have a V-10. But its a Ford E-450. Do you have any maintenance tips? If taken well care of, how many miles can I expect to log-on before a major engine repair? This one has a little over 63K.

Thanks.

James
2000 Fleetwood Tioga 29'
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
I believe I have read on the veterans site of IRV2 that military base camping, where available can be had for short stays, and with 100% disability, you may qualify. Check the veterans site and ask. very, very helpful group of people.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryn View Post
I believe I have read on the veterans site of IRV2 that military base camping, where available can be had for short stays, and with 100% disability, you may qualify. Check the veterans site and ask. very, very helpful group of people.
Almost all larger military bases and even the some smaller ones do have campgrounds available, the size and type of CG depends on the base. Most that I've been to range from $20-$25 a night, not really too cheap but better then a lot off base.

Here in Washington State disabled veterans can get a free State Park pass which includes FREE RV camping with full hook ups. You only need to be a WA resident and be 30% disabled to get the pass, my DW just got hers but I'm only 20%. Check your state and see what the state offers disabled veterans
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjim6
Thank you.

I too have a V-10. But its a Ford E-450. Do you have any maintenance tips? If taken well care of, how many miles can I expect to log-on before a major engine repair? This one has a little over 63K.
James-

The V10 is a great engine and the first recomended tune up is 100,000 miles. Your manual may say 10w 30 oil, however they updated that later to 5w 20. I would use a good full synthetic from this point foward. Other than oil changes, air filter and belt inspection, that's about it. There is an issue with the spark plugs if YOU decide to change them, so check that out some time, no need to worry about it now.

Doing my own maintenance on my V10 beginning at 40,000, now 50,000, I wouldn't start even thinking about a major internal failure for another 100,000.

I bought a new '99 expedition in '98 with a 5.4L (V10's little brother). It now has 120,000, still has original plugs, runs like a top and needs no oil between changes. All I ever needed to do was replace 2 coils in 14 years.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

First off thank you for your service to our country. Also you don't state your disability. What limitations do you have? Can't answer the question on where to camp, but for a comfortable RV I would go look at as many different floor plans as possible. If you are looking at cheap go to craigslist and look at their listings. Once you see something you like go look at it. Make sure the layout would work with your ability to move around. There is a ton on inventory out there so take your time and get what works for you. Also would you be able to work on some things yourself? Buying used you will have to invest some money into fixing what the previous owner didn't do.

Last year we bought our 87 Allegro for under $5000 and have put about $2000 in fixes to it. Probably 2/3 of that were things I couldn't do. Brake lines, tune-up, radiator flush, fuel sending unit,etc. So be prepared for that.

Good Luck in your search.
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are so many variables to your situation that is difficult to answer without knowing a great deal more. However, other than boondocking, probably the least expensive way to RV is to go somewhere, stay for a month (or more) to get monthly rates. Then you can just pickup and repeat somewhere else. Generally speaking, the least expensive places to stay are from Texas westward.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Cheap camping

Go to any Government Park Service web site and it will tell you how to get an America the Beautiful pass. This pass will give you 50% off of daily RV parking in almost any government park including the Corps of Engineers lake projects. I will be staying in one for 4 nights next month for $36.00 total. Electric only with water available for fresh tank and dump station for black tank. Most all are very nice parks with decent security and good clean showers available.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjim6 View Post

I am a disabled veteran (100% SC) that is seeking comfortable RVing (Class C), yet as cheap as possible. Does anyone have ideas about how to achieve this kind of RV / motor home adventure?

I am new to RVing and have a strong desire to travel the US and abroad. Are there any bargain camp sites out there?

Thanks allot.

James
If you are looking for someone--so am I! I`m 49, have 1 cat. Disabled too, but can walk!
ReneeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #11

So you know, my husband is 100% Miliatary disabled. Military base Family-Camps are $20-$25 a night and they are all over the country. U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
Washington state offers free camping in their state parks for their disabled vets, but Oregon State Parks offer it to ALL disabled veterans from any state!
Also the Access pass from National Parks and US Bureau of Land Management offer free access to the parks and 1/2 off camping. Hope this helps and thank you for your service!
DigMyPast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi James,

I retired a 15 months ago at 60 due to disabilities. I RV full-time, so my RV expenses are my only housing expense. I park at my daughter's house in Seattle for the summer and Mom's near Houston in the winter. Spring and Fall I travel between the 2, visiting friends and national parks along the way. I rarely stay at a campground. I park for free on federal land -- national forests and BLM land mostly.

Being disabled allows me to have a free National Park Access pass. This gets me into National Parks fee free and half price camping at most National recreational areas and many national park campgrounds.

The first 12 months of RV life, my pets and I spent less than $10,000. Everything is paid off so I only have to pay for food, gas, RV licensing and maintanence, cellphone, internet service and diapers for Sena. We live frugally.

If you don't have expensive habits, RV living can be much cheaper and certainly alot more fun than the way most folks live. I let the weather tell me when to move. I wear shorts and T-shirts 80% of the time and have only run the airconditioner about 20 hours since I bought my RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
First off thank you for your service to our country. Also you don't state your disability. What limitations do you have? Can't answer the question on where to camp, but for a comfortable RV I would go look at as many different floor plans as possible. If you are looking at cheap go to craigslist and look at their listings. Once you see something you like go look at it. Make sure the layout would work with your ability to move around. There is a ton on inventory out there so take your time and get what works for you. Also would you be able to work on some things yourself? Buying used you will have to invest some money into fixing what the previous owner didn't do.

Last year we bought our 87 Allegro for under $5000 and have put about $2000 in fixes to it. Probably 2/3 of that were things I couldn't do. Brake lines, tune-up, radiator flush, fuel sending unit,etc. So be prepared for that.

Good Luck in your search.
Arnold
Thank you for the information. I am grateful

My disability includes a neurological disorder, a foot problem, and I was exposed to agent orange while in Vietnam (grunt) 11B4P.

I served with A, 1/503 Inf. Separate, 173rd Airborne Brigade 1969-70.

James

Tags
rving