Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do Battle Born batteries generate heat?

So far I have not seen an answer as if Battle Born batteries produce internal heat while they are being used, either charging or discharging. I have three BB10012H (heated) batteries in the factory battery tray under the floor. This box is insulated with 3" of pink insulation board to help in the colder months.
The point of my question is if I need to add a fan to cool the battery box in the summer months. I know that these batteries should not be operated above about 100F to prevent long term damage. In cases when temps are above 100F I'm not sure if a fan is going to gain me much. It may be worth having a fan only if the batteries are producing even more heat. Thus my question.

There is no space inside the RV to move these batteries to, so that approach is a non-starter.

The BB10012H batteries are rated to be charged down to 13F by Battle Born with their internal heating system. I maybe adding some secondary heaters to cover even lower temperatures. We tend to camp in cold opposed to hot environments.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 04:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The BMS in the batteries will product heat but I don't see any specs on how much.
Your inverter/charger should have a battery temp sensor. Put that on the batteries and monitor the situation. Even if you add a fan it would be best to know the tempurature in the battery box.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #3

It is probably too hard to specify amount of heat generated by the BMS as it will depend on amp load, voltage state, if balancing is going on, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What I gather is that Battle Born batteries do not generate enough internal heat to compensate for by fans, etc. Ambient air temperature may get hot enough to reach the upper operating limits, but I try hard not to camp in such areas.

Even then fans would only draw in new hot air at the same temperature.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

If you hit any lithium battery hard enough, discharging or charging, it will get warm. That's just how it is. How warm depends entirely on the use case and how much ventilation they get in the RV. That said, battery warmth has not been a huge concern for us thus far. A more cogent question, typically, is how good is the ventilation for your hybrid charger / inverter? That can get quite warm pushing all those electrons around if it doesn't have enough air flow.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
The BMS in the batteries will product heat but I don't see any specs on how much.
Your inverter/charger should have a battery temp sensor. Put that on the batteries and monitor the situation. Even if you add a fan it would be best to know the tempurature in the battery box.
Battery temp sensors are for wet cells only, Battleborn specifies no temp sensor for their charge profile...
C Beedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Beedle View Post
Battery temp sensors are for wet cells only, Battleborn specifies no temp sensor for their charge profile...
I'm not suggesting using temp compensation for charging.
You can connect the temp sensor but not use temp conpensation. If you have an advanced display you can monitor the temp with the temp sensor. In that way the OP can measure his battery box and not have to speculate about temp.

Tags
batteries, heat