RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #1

Do you guys know the Nexus C Class?

I came across the Nexus brand almost by accident. I watched an in house video and it sounds like itís a well built unit. The guy in the video said they use steel instead of aluminum and is 77% stronger then other Class Cís. I like the TRIUMPH 31T and PHANTOM 31P.

I canít really tell any difference of the two coaches other then in floorplan. Looking at their price sheets both are priced the same. Do you guys know the difference?

I also noticed on the order sheet no option for a 2nd air conditioner. I donít like a 31í with only one AC.
It also showed no option for the front seats to swivel. I donít like that either.

Iíd appreciate anything you know about Nexus? Thanks
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #2

Do you guys know the Nexus C Class?

We have friends that just purchased the nexus viper B+. Its a great floor plan and beautiful coach. It does lack storage space that most class-cís have.

They had troubles with the refrigerator having a refrigerant leak because of a wood screw installed through a coil. Dealer was going to swap out the refrigerator from another coach they had on the lot but it had the same problem. Apparently itís a manufactures issue.

After waiting for months to get the refrigerator replaced the local dealer removed the passenger side slide and damaged the interior trim.

The driver side slide does not fit the opening properly I want to slide is out there is 1 inch gap on one side.

They have had several other minor issues that a good dealer should have been able to resolve but did not. They are now taking the coach in to the manufacture for proper repairs and adjustments.
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

Be aware of another Nexus owner's problems.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/nexu...9v-507843.html
Old 09-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #4

Like most RV manufacturers Nexus has it's issues I'm sure. There are a couple of facebook groups one is the "Official Nexus Group" and the other one is an "Unofficial" facebook group. There is a guy that works for Nexus, David Lint, and if you message him he can get you all of the details. I can't speak to the weight issues in the Viper but I can tell you that the difference between the two models is likely trim and options. I can also tell you that they will work with you if you want something "off menu". For instance, I'm looking at a Wraith and the 2021s only come with a residential refrigerator, I would like an RV refrigerator. Dave said it was possible although it's not on the order sheet they have on their web site. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #5

Hi guys, Both comments have to do with the B+ Viper of which I have no interest due to ceiling height. But I get your point on weight and the slide problem.

I wasn’t bothered by the refrigerator situation, irritating for sure but not unreasonable. But the slide situation is hard to walk away from. How could a PDI have been done by Nexus and not see a slide is off by an inch?

Many coaches today are right at the weight limit before you even get the passengers inside. That is not good and you better have the tire pressure right.

One other thing I’ll ad is the Nexus website is difficult to navigate and even find a specification sheet.

Anyone know about the the two AC’s and swivel seats on the Triumph and Phantom?
Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

My Co-worker & now retirement friend , bought a Class C Nexus Phantom , less than 30 ft , w/ E-450. Bought it Feb 2018 , Only got 2 weeks of actual vacation trip in with it in 2019 . ( this year nothing - COVID ) The rest of the time it was in one shop or another trying to get various problems fixed . Slide ripping interior trim apart , intermittent entry step mechanism , leveling jacks - the three that I can remember out of a list of faults he had , to be fixed . I myself will not buy one after his lengthy experiences he was always complaining about .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan's Nexus 3-23-18 c.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	302537
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Thanks TourNut, Thatís trouble for sure and no one so far have posted ďlove it, all is well.

The other thing I worry about is Iíve read all kinds of questions and answers on many different coaches. I donít even remember one on Nexus Class C?

I mentioned in my first post I listened to a video, I believe by the Nexus owner, on how well built the Nexus coaches are. Iím concerned with a relatively few number of post, slides have been mentioned more than once and other troubles keeping you off the road?

Do I see something developing?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

Talking I ďlove it, all is well."

There you go... that is my opinion after 7+ years and 60,000+ trouble free miles. I brought our 2012 phantom 23P lightly used with just 6,208 miles. I do believe they were better built in terms of attention to detail and overall quality control in the earlier models such as mine. Also, I do not have and would not have a slide, electric steps or levelers on a bet from any manufacturer as they are all just a problem waiting to happen and most folks don't have top wait too long.

The fit and finish of our 2012 is as good if not better than any brand I have seen. Our solid maple cabinets were done by Amish carpenters though in later models they went to in house pre assembled that is nowhere near the quality of what I have. The use of low alloy steel, Azdel and vacuum sealed walls make for arguably the strongest coach out there without sacrificing payload - I have 3,363# on an E-350 chassis.

We have been to or through 37 states from California to Maine and typically spend the vast majority of our time off of the grid. Our Generac 4KW genny only has 94 hours on it after nearly 9 years. Heated tanks, remote control heated mirrors, electric awning, power drivers seat, 3 burner stove top with a real oven and a huge microwave are just some of the touches that point to a quality built coach.

Issues? Sure I have had a couple... the control board on the 35,000 BTU furnace {no that is not a typo - our 24' coach really does have a 35K BTU furnace} died after 7 years but the repair was about $200. The water heater has been serviced once and the electric side is scheduled for another repair as well though the gas side works just fine.

At 101" wide and with 7' of headroom throughout the coach I have never missed having a slide and sure haven't missed the problems that they all come with. The floorpan works great and we can comfortably seat 4 adults at the huge dinette without putting a chair in the aisle. I cannot say enough good things about the 6.8L V-10 married to the Torque Shift 5 speed trans with a 4:10 rear end. Would I like to have the newer 6 speed? You betcha but the 5 works just fine.

I often tow a 6 X 10' cargo trailer {8'} high at up to 2,600# with no issues though it does cost me about .5 to 1 mpg. For the record we have averaged 9.5 non towing consistently and that includes the little bit of generator time we run the Generac. Having the 55 gallon fuel tank is another nice touch especially on the E-350 which gets better mileage and rides smoother than the E-450 {which has the 4:56 rear end}.

Yep, like I said... "ďlove it, all is well."

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

Great post Capt Steve. And where do you pick up phrases like ďlove it, all is well?

Following that to current day Cap, as far as you know is Nexus continuing itís a quality build? I remember years ago I was listening to the VP of the Chevrolet Div of GM and he was asked about Chevy quality. His answer surprised me when he said ďEveryone builds a good product todayĒ. I was surprised because it was so honest.

I think part of it is, the in house video I saw at Nexus really went into ďThe Nexus BuildĒ. Then the first thing I hear on this thread is slide problems. Also something they covered on the video saying they switched to a slide unit known to be the best on the market. No doubt the word is out on slides because most would take a slide on the cab if they could get it.

Maybe I should have gone with ďHate it, all ainít wellĒ!

Truth be told I like what the Nexus video said. I mean, if they in fact build a coach 77% stronger than other coaches in the class. Thatís huge!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:57 AM   #10

Stick with an industry titan when investing 100K in an RV. I looked at Nexus at the Hershey RV show in Oct 2016 as I was preparing to buy a new Class C. (Looked at everything). Settled on a Minnie Winnie (31D 2017) which is a line that has a long track record. I like Winnebago's history (visit the museum in Forest City) and everything about them. Quality all throughout the coach. Great customer service in Forest City. Four years into it, everything is working great after working out the bugs. (There were more than I bargained for. But they weren't inherent design flaws or signs of cutting corners. I look at what I went through as the nature of the beast). Nexus is too much of an experiment.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

Hi TJFogelberg, I know what you mean about going with a company with a long track record. Reputation is an important thing, the ptest of time means something for sure.

Nexus is a relative newcomer by such standards. But they seem to want to be a major player in quality and safety. I understand Nexus has gone to the Coney Slide, about the best out there. And there overall build system is impressive. But what you buy has to work and perform as one anticipates and can trust.

Buying a coach like Nexus do you run into a dealer problem? Winnebago and Coachmen for example have dealers everywhere. With Nexus do you run the risk of not finding a dealer to work on them when youíre out and about?
Old 10-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #12

We have a Super C Ghost by Nexus. 3 years, 50,000 miles including 3 months to Alaska last year. We've been pretty pleased with it. A few electrical problems which Nexus fixed. We did buy direct before they went to the dealer network.

She's got the load carrying and towing capacity. GVW is 26,000# so a special license is not required in those states which have that requirement.